Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#203756 - 06/21/10 04:21 PM Houston ETS meetup: let's can some food!
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hey all you Houston-area ETS members, I've set up a date to go to the Houston LDS cannery at 7pm on Tuesday, June 29th. This is a great & cost effective way to increase your food supply as well as meet other area preparedness people. It will just be ETS, Zombie Squad, and Hoodlums forum members canning that night. The cannery is on the north side of Houston near where I-45 and FM 1960 meets.

The process is as follows. We will meet in the parking lot on the south-center side of the facility (look for me and my red Toyota pickup truck) a few minutes before 7pm. A person will unlock the door and let us in. We'll turn our order forms over to the LDS person and she will add everything up so as to figure out how many bags of beans/oats/sugar/etc we will need to get from the back.

Once everything is totalled up we will break into groups. Some will get the bulk foods from the warehouse in back, some will start putting labels on the cans, some will begin assembling cardboard boxes and labeling them with our names. When the bulk food arrives some will weigh it out into cans then pass the cans to other to get the oxygen absorbers and then be sealed.

Once everything is canned and placed in your boxes we have to clean everything up. This just means sweeping the floor and wiping down the tables. Once that is done we pay for our stuff (check or case, I don't think they take credit cards). The whole process usually takes 2-3 hours depending on how much needs to be canned.

It a very fun, scocial activity and even if you don't want any food you should come out to hang with fellow area disastronauts. grin

If you are coming could please respond in this thread so that I know how many to expect? Thanks!

-Blast

p.s. You will not be preached at then or any time in the future because you went to the cannery.

Originally Posted By: "Blast"

Please fill out the LDS price list before you arrive.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#203777 - 06/22/10 12:17 AM Re: Houston ETS meetup: let's can some food! [Re: Blast]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Wish I could, but living in the Southern Tier of NY makes it untenable. I do, however, wish you the greatest fun that night.

#203784 - 06/22/10 03:55 AM Re: Houston ETS meetup: let's can some food! [Re: Blast]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Sounds great. If I lived in the area I would certainly take advantage of this opportunity to put up some stores and socialize with other members of the ETS community.

Have fun!

#210493 - 10/28/10 07:41 PM Re: Houston ETS meetup: let's can some food! [Re: Blast]
Shreela Offline
Stranger

Loc: Houston
I commented in the other thread with the new date.
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=210492

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.