Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#203596 - 06/18/10 10:41 AM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Yes, nurses have varied interests. I know nurses who have climbed Denali, who cave and rock climb, and even garden. But I am still surprised that one was present at a national archaeological geek fest in DC where we were swarming to hear presentations like "A Reexamination of Social Interaction in the Lower Middle Dalton Phase as Revealed by Debitage Analysis from Level C of the Jones Site, Middleburg, Illinois."

Anyway, nurses are ubiquitous, among other things, and I have been grateful on more than one occasion.

#203603 - 06/18/10 12:46 PM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: Susan]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
My 62 year old Mother learned to smoke and play poker in nurses school. grin (I still can't play poker and quit smoking 9 years ago on June 22.)

#203617 - 06/18/10 10:14 PM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: Art_in_FL]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
That sort of abusive behavior is not rare but it is also not that common. It has to be understood that attempts to charge, collect, register and subscribe are always more expensive than simply sucking up the occasional abuse as a matter of course. Enforcement, collection and exclusion cost time and money.

Far more common than indigents using EMTs as convenient taxis are the constant stream of asthma attacks, heart issues, allergy attacks, and collapse from people with chronic problems. These people are genuinely sick but they are unable to manage their disease because of a lack of insurance or resources for drugs, transport, care. Some can't or won't take their medication/s. Estimates are that a third of all the alcoholics are self-medicating for mental illness or chronic pain and that a good proportion of people with high blood pressure and other chronic diseases are rationing their medications. Cutting pills in half and/or frequency to try to get by on less.

Sometimes this has to do with the price of the medication but often it has to do with a lack of money to visit a doctor to get a refill. A lot of people can't swing the $20 for cab fare to a doctor's office, $80 for a visit, $80 for testing, and $100 for prescription/s.

Call the EMTs and you get a ride, a doctor sees you, you get a prescription, and they give you a two-week supply from samples. And often all the delays, humiliation, and abuse you can stand. Some people abuse the system but the system also abuses people.

And yes, people pay taxes. In terms of percentage of income poor people always pay more.

+1

And some medications, especially siezure meds, can make people
feel very ill, have a lot of side effects, and may do only a partial job of controlling the problem. Hence less incentive
to take meds. Diabetics have their challenges too.

#203625 - 06/19/10 12:11 AM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: clearwater]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
Good show MoBob. I am always glad to see people step up and do something.
Responding is one of the hardest things to teach first responders to do.

Sometimes all you should do is make the person as comfortable as possible and keep an eye on them until help arrives.
Sometimes they need to be placed in recovery position.
Once in a while you will need some serious first aid skills, but fortunately those times are not as common as many of us expect.

I have helped epileptics and diabetics a few times.
I found the first aid and ambulance crews to be very good.

My biggest problems were with people who assumed the person displaying odd behaviour or going into seizures was either insane, drunk or on drugs.
I have seen the same thing happen with cases of hypothermia.

I always find such responses a bit troubling, especially when the person is showing clear signs of distress.

In some of the cases the people suffering were pretty well off looking, and in some cases they looked like homeless people.
It made only a slight difference in how crews reacted, and that was mostly in the questions they asked.

If you think they are diabetic I have heard it suggested that you can give them sugar because it might help and won't do harm.
Not insulin, though you can help them take it if they have it you can not administer it.
I have heard the same thing about giving 1/2 an aspirin to suspected heart attacks.

Edited by chickenlittle (06/19/10 12:13 AM)

#203632 - 06/19/10 04:12 AM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I am still surprised that one was present ... to hear presentations like "A Reexamination of Social Interaction in the Lower Middle Dalton Phase as Revealed by Debitage Analysis from Level C of the Jones Site, Middleburg, Illinois."

OTOH, maybe her name is Jones, she's from Illinois, and thought it was a family reunion...

Sue

#203751 - 06/21/10 03:34 PM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: hikermor]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
What strikes me about your account is the proximity of physicians and nurses to the scene.

I've stopped a couple times for accidents (as a lay nobody) and been surprised by the proximity of nurses. Just this past St. Patrick's Day a drunk blew a red light and caused a nice wreck. I was passing by and pulled over (I only do this when there are no flashing lights yet on the scene), only to see two nurses already working on the soused patient (the young lady he t-boned was fine, fortunately). I was happy to just hand out gloves and gauze and hold the flashlight while they worked. It's been almost 20 years since my last first aid course, so I was glad to have professionals on the scene and not be hands-on myself.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 526 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
33 minutes 23 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.