The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#202967 - 06/05/10 01:17 AM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: roberttheiii]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I just realized these things aren't threaded...I don't think I'd buy one as a result.

#202980 - 06/05/10 04:38 AM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: roberttheiii]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Not threaded, but double O-ringed. They work and there is no risk of cross threading. The only problem I've ever heard of had to do with a fairly radical pressure change which effectively hermetically sealed the matches, but that was from someone who does special and weird things for his government paycheck.

No scuba, no halo, you'll be fine. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#202981 - 06/05/10 05:00 AM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: roberttheiii]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
You ask-Where can you place striking material? The knurled surface area,or rough grip area of the Matchcase provides the striking surface for the matches.

#203010 - 06/06/10 01:06 AM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Covering the spiderwire with a ranger band might be more secure than electrician's tape. Less tacky too if it is sitting for a while before use.

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
No, wrap 20 or 30lb spyder wire around the outside. Cover it with electrician's tape. You can get a good 50' around a K&M. Spyder wire is strong enough for light shelter building, snares, sewing and as a trigger for traps.

In terms of content's (and yes I have already done this smile ) I suggest the following:

2 x sail makers needle's.
4 or 5 strike anywhere matches.
4 Tinder-quick (on a string).
4 hooks.
Split shot.
X-acto blade or similar.

Forget about water purification. That should be with your water bottle / bladder.

If you have any space left - add more matches. But don't overfill the case. You are only planning for a weeks worth of fire lighting at most.

#203036 - 06/06/10 09:13 PM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: aloha]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I was considering buying on to use with REI matches. Don't those require red phosphorous striker?

#203037 - 06/06/10 10:39 PM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: Kris]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
I have the long one and fit:
-Micro fishing kit (one of IronRaven's from awhile back, in the amber glass vial)
-5 lifeboat matches, striker strip
-2 tinder tabs and a spark-lite
-2 micropur tablets
-needle, thread, 2 safety pins

Things wound up a bit too smooshed for my liking, and a little too hard to get out of it when needed. Then I realized I use it more as just a matchsafe than as a kit, but it's still a good alternative for a tiny kit.

#203051 - 06/07/10 06:33 AM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: ironraven]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Not threaded, but double O-ringed. They work and there is no risk of cross threading. The only problem I've ever heard of had to do with a fairly radical pressure change which effectively hermetically sealed the matches, but that was from someone who does special and weird things for his government paycheck.

No scuba, no halo, you'll be fine. :P

A friend of mine did a deep dive with one and experience the same thing... he was curious what would happen and now has it in his office. You would swear it was welded shut.

#203052 - 06/07/10 06:36 AM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: Christina
-Micro fishing kit (one of IronRaven's from awhile back, in the amber glass vial)
-2 micropur tablets

Things wound up a bit too smooshed for my liking, and a little too hard to get out of it when needed. Then I realized I use it more as just a matchsafe than as a kit, but it's still a good alternative for a tiny kit.

Thanks. Still waiting on them, so I took the time yesterday to rebuild a medimum sized kit. Buggered it up, and have to redo it again tonight (if the boys let me).

#203054 - 06/07/10 10:52 AM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Christina
-2 micropur tablets

Christina,
If you've got the matches, you don't need the spark-lite.
If your going to use the spark-lite then loose the matches. More tinder is better. Always assume that you need a substained flame for your tinder. Tinder is always presumed to be damp.
Personally I would go five lifeboat matches and four tinder-quick. One disadvantage of the spark-lite is that you need to have one good hand to use it. With matches you can use anything part of you that can grip. Like, oh say, your teeth, elbows, palm of your hands.
The reason why I use spyder wire is that it can be used for many things. Including sewing.
smile smile smile

#203056 - 06/07/10 11:11 AM Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Christina - I like your fire backup - more fire makes me happier.

The Scuba situation is interesting. Shouldn't increasing exterior pressure make it impossible to open submerged, but once you return to the surface, assuming there was no gas or liquid exchange past the two o-rings, shouldn't the interior pressure again match the exterior pressure and shouldn't it operate normally? At high altitude though I might think the higher interior pressure might blow the cap, reclosing it would be a mistake because then returning to say sea level would mean you've got low pressure under higher pressure making it difficult to open.

If someone has one of these that seems welded shut, it isn't much more than a paper weight anyways, I vote they put steel pins through the top and bottom lanyard holes, secure each pin to the sides of a large vise (weld them on?) and slowly screw the vise open - see what happens. You may rip the pins through the brass or aluminum, you may pop the seal, or the whole thing may EXPLODE (probably not, but I like to disclaim). Doing this is unsafe, so if you decide to risk it wear protective gear! Have jacket, pants, gloves, and face/eye shield, ear protection as well. While I would do this, I have bad judgement, anyone reading this should not attempt such a silly and dangerous thing.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.