Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#202935 - 06/03/10 07:44 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Krista]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Krista
Originally Posted By: rebwa
http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Wilderness-Medicine-Adventure-Medical/dp/0965976807

I keep this one in the kit in my SUV, it actually came with the kit but can be purchased separately. It's by far the best book I've found on emergency medicine. Some of the better outdoors stores also sell the book, so you might find it locally.

Personally I'd want the book or manual with my FAK, as if you have an emergency that involves sickness or injury--you want everything in one place. I actually keep a dog first aid quide, printed from the net, folded and with the above book. Thought I'd toss that in since you too have a pup.

Thanks rebwa! Do you happen to have the link for the dog first aid guide?

Here you go

http://www.k9forensic.org/k9firstaid.html

#202939 - 06/03/10 10:16 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Krista]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Depending on how you are using it.

If the Binder is the references and plans, and you have separate volumes for skills, separate. If the Binder is THE BOOK, include. If you have space, both.

Either way, get the training. Faster to remember than to read. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#202940 - 06/03/10 10:59 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: rebwa]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Get the book, they last longer and ride well on a shelf. Take notes as you read it. Reread the notes before you hit the trail and/or at regular intervals. Thumb through the book every year or two and check against your notes. Often the bits I thought were the most important a few years ago are different from what I consider the most important points now.

A working and conceptual understanding of the information is more important than memorizing the text. Don't worry so much about what it says. Focus on as what it means and how the details fit into the larger context.

You could slip an outline copy of the notes into your kit, they can be a useful refresher, but when an emergency rolls around you will be operating entirely off memory.

If you have time to read you're not in an emergency. If you are in an emergency you won't have time to be reading anything. Learn it. Study it. Put a copy on the mirror in the bathroom and another copy on the refrigerator. Make it a rule that you can't use the sink or refrigerator until you read or recite the outline notes. Do what you need to do to get it into your head where it will do you some good. In the end you have to be willing to do the work.

#202944 - 06/04/10 07:13 AM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Art_in_FL]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I'd put only emergency phone numbers and the quickest 1-aid-at-a-glance summary in the binder. If you have time to read more than that then you can dig out the book or other 1.aid reference manuals.

As Art said, some things must be resolved RIGHT NOW - which leaves little time for reading, perhaps a 5-bullet point check list. You may have some additional phone numbers at hand for such things as information about poisonous creatures in your area, the local police or similar.

But many injuries or illnesses are not that immediate life threatening. Wrap it up, provide lots of comfort and consolation while at the same time ask as much about the symptoms as you possibly can. Then slip out and re-read whatever manual you have at hand before you decide on further action (treat here, transport elsewhere, need professional assistance).

#202945 - 06/04/10 11:59 AM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My thought is to have a small first aid book with the first aid kit. Thinking in a situation that you would have use it you wouldn't want to have to run one way to get the FAK then run another to get the book/papers. Unless you keep both together but then you still run the risk of only having one or the other, say you tell your kids/guest to run and get the FAK and don't think to remind them to get the binder.
I keep my binder in my gun safe, for one thing if we are not at home and the house burns down or someone does break in those documents are safe there. Another situation is if we wake up in the middle of the night to a house on fire and have no time to get the binder and have to jump out the window its safe in the safe too. The actual document I created for it is on my phone which stays beside me when slepping so it goes out the window with me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 518 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.