Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#202723 - 05/31/10 03:32 AM Re: source for the little AMK "mini" signal mirror [Re: Susan]
rauburg Offline
Stranger

Sorry for not getting back quicker, I have been away from the computer today.

I can't remember the month of the search and rescue practice. It wasn't winter though because I remember that it was warm.

The time of day was late morning, almost noon. I live in West Texas and the terrain was flat with no obstructions.

I quickly learned that the sun and the target needed to be in front of me. It was just too difficult to try and aim if the angles between the plane and the sun were too large.

It was a good test though and a good experience. And from it, I would carry the largest mirror that I could. A glass mirror would probably be even better.

Check and see if you have a Civil Air Patrol squadron in your area and, if you do, give them a call. Maybe they can help.

Randy

#202725 - 05/31/10 06:00 AM Re: source for the little AMK "mini" signal mirror [Re: rauburg]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: rauburg
I quickly learned that the sun and the target needed to be in front of me. It was just too difficult to try and aim if the angles between the plane and the sun were too large.

Yes, retroreflective aimers only work out to a sun-to-target angle of about 135 deg., and it gets pretty tricky as you approach that angle. Beyond that, you have fall back on another method, such as using your hand as a foresight. With the sun behind you, even before the angle reaches 135 degrees, your head can get between the mirror and the sun. One USAF survival manual trick for getting your head out of the way is to lie on your back. (here's a photo of 11 people doing so, with an amazing variety of signal mirrors: Using Signal Mirrors with the sun behind you ) In the unlikely case you happen to have two mirrors, you can use one to reverse the sun so the sun-target angle for your signal mirror is within 135 degrees - the old tripod-mounted Heliographs came with two mirrors, for just that purpose.
It was a good test though and a good experience. And from it, I would carry the largest mirror that I could. A glass mirror would probably be even better.

Yes, while my EDC mirror is a 2"x3" Rescue Flash, when I go to the mountains, I add a 3"x5" MIL-M-18371E USAF glass mirror from the 1960s. The 12"x12" glass mirror in my trunk is intended for experiments, not survival, though I'd certainly use it if it came to that.
Check and see if you have a Civil Air Patrol squadron in your area and, if you do, give them a call. Maybe they can help.

Excellent suggestion. Looking around the web, I've read about several CAP experiments with signal mirrors.

Edited by rafowell (05/31/10 06:04 AM)
Edit Reason: Updated photo link to one linking back to other pages

#202733 - 05/31/10 03:50 PM Re: source for the little AMK "mini" signal mirror [Re: rafowell]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Wanna trade for the larger version?

#202768 - 06/01/10 01:06 AM Re: source for the little AMK "mini" signal mirror [Re: JIM]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: JIM
Wanna trade for the larger version?

No - I have both types - I'm content.

#202782 - 06/01/10 08:52 AM Re: source for the little AMK "mini" signal mirror [Re: rafowell]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Sorry about that, I was trying to reply to the OP.

#202785 - 06/01/10 10:40 AM Re: AMK "mini" signal mirror vs BCB Mayday Mirror [Re: rafowell]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: rafowell
I have the Mayday signal mirror. It is not the same mirror you are asking about but it performs well.
Mayday Signal Mirror

I have tested this mirror with an airplane and a 2x3" mirror from the NRA survival kit. <...> The crew in the plane was able to spot both mirrors and reported that the larger mirror was easier to see. They didn't say that the larger mirror was vastly better, just that it was easier to spot. I feel that the performance of both mirrors was acceptable.<...>

I'd love to hear more particulars about your test - range, sun to target angle, airplane altitude, airspeed. I have yet to locate a cooperative pilot for signal mirror testing. I do have some WWII RAF test reports on 2"x2" steel mirrors (low reflectivity), and the RAF (unlike the US Navy, USAF, and USCG) felt that, since the 2"x2" steel mirrors seemed to be bright enough to travel the range at which a survivor could see a small airplane, that they were big and bright enough. ( I'm actually supposed to be putting those reports online so you folks can see them, rather than chatting here).

Myself, I'm more comfortable with larger mirrors, and every US Government document and photo I've seen referring to US Government issue signal mirrors refers to mirrors that are 2"x3" or larger.

However, in the realm of 2"x2" or smaller plastic signal mirrors, the Mini Rescue Flash seems the brightest. The beam from my 1.5"x2" Mini Rescue Flash™ (American Medical Kits) is much tighter and brighter than my 2"x2" Mayday Signal Mirror (BCB International), based on today's test*. See the comparison of the beam brightness at right.

All other things being equal, the Mini will be more visible than the Mayday, visible at longer range, and it is smaller, as well.

The Mayday mirror has some advantages over the Mini: it is widely available, comes with a lanyard, floats, is inexpensive, and has instructions on the back.

I've seen one review arguing that the BCB mirror isn't very robust: (video of user tearing mirror apart here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8xfao47WHtQ )

The Mini Rescue Flash isn't perfect. As noted, it doesn't seem available by itself, it doesn't float, and doesn't come with a lanyard. After 1 year in my trunk (in Southern California) mine shows some signs of delamination - likely because of the heat cycles. Unlike most signal mirrors, the Mini lacks self-contained instructions on the back. The back (shown here)
http://www.equipped.org/pp/briefs/pic_amk_sol.htm#d
says to go to www.adventuremedicalkits.com for instructions, rarely an option when you get lost. Even if you (as you should) try to learn to use the mirror prior to getting lost, finding the instructions at the website is a real challenge.

The closest I've found is this AMK product video: "Ed Viesturs Survival Essentials", which covers signal mirror use starting about 30 seconds in, and is more easily found on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_kVLnydlU

I like Doug Ritter's instructions better:
http://www.equipped.org/psp/psp_rescueflash.htm

I did notice that aiming was quicker and easier with the larger mirror. I honestly can't say if it was me, or the mirror. <...>

I didn't try this myself, but I do notice that the sighting window on most mirrors is larger than that in the Mayday mirror.
===========
* Test Description
I took both mirrors, which have been together in my trunk since last summer, and propped them on my driveway, as shown, so as to reflect the sun onto the back of my darkened garage, 33 feet away. I then photographed the beam.

I'd say that advert (which is what it is) ommits a few thing's. Like the need for a quality knife, insulation under you and the need to get out of the wind!

Oh, and the whistle sucks.

Serious advice to our readers: Buy the Ritter pack (see ETS Home page)(Top right on this page) and add a AMK bivvy bag or blanket.

I'll leave the knive choice to the reader.

#202790 - 06/01/10 11:30 AM Re: AMK "mini" signal mirror vs BCB Mayday Mirror [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Serious advice to our readers: Buy the Ritter pack (see ETS Home page)(Top right on this page) and add a AMK bivvy bag or blanket.

I'll leave the knive choice to the reader.

Absolutely!

You also need to make informed choices about how to obtain drinking water.

I also recommend that you augment that kit with the Doug Ritter mk5 knife as a backup to your main knife. That way you always have a reliable knife even if your main knife is lost, unsuitable for your present company or left at home for other reasons.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (06/01/10 11:36 AM)

#202810 - 06/01/10 07:08 PM Re: AMK "mini" signal mirror vs BCB Mayday Mirror [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
As it happens, I have a Mk5. It's ok within it's limits. Personally I prefer a Swiss Army Knife. One Handed Trekker for choice. If local laws mean you are limited to a sliplock then any SAK that has a saw on it.

#255410 - 01/13/13 03:08 AM Re: source for the little AMK "mini" signal mirror? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
I came across this old thread in a search. If anyone is still looking for the AMK 1.5x2 mini mirror you can get it at goinggear.com

search for
AMK Rescue Flash Signal Mirror- Mini

http://goinggear.com/survival/amk-rescue-flash-signal-mirror-mini.html

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 625 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.