Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#202283 - 05/22/10 10:29 AM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: BrianB]
Derek Offline
Stranger

Carlos, I live in NYC and have both a handgun and a shotgun. Admittedly the permitting process for the handgun is much more of a pain to get through.

To ask handgun vs. shotgun is a bit like asking hammer vs. screwdriver, but having said that, if I could only have one firearm, it would definitely be a sidearm. Absent literally the WORST CASE scenarios, I dont think it is possible for you to walk around with a long gun publicly (and keeping a long gun in a big gym bag really takes it out of commission for tactical purposes).

Sidearms can be carried discreetly, and are tactically effective by skilled shooters to probably 25 yards. It is somewhat difficult to imagine a situation where you're defensively engaging targets past 25 yards.

Somebody mentioned getting firearms training, and I think that's clearly a good idea. Also, consider buying less-than-lethal tools like pepper spray (legal in NYC), which gives you more options than if you only had a handgun.

#202287 - 05/22/10 03:24 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: Derek]
CarlosD Offline
Stranger

Gun safety course is def in the cards for me and missus. As are regular sorties to the range.

Just to clarify, I don't mean to carry it (or a handgun) around at the first power outage. They're for home defense. I brought up the question because I was wondering what I would do if we had to leave and had to take it with us.

Truthfully, now that I think back on it, the scenario I had envisioned was so dire, so over-the-top, that the question is probably moot but I wanted to give it some consideration.

Unrelated to gun carry but related to the question of "to hide or not to hide?" I am also curious about how folks feel about their EDC or BOBs.

In an USK/PSK thread, I noticed that many felt that backpacks might draw too much attention in an urban bugout setting. But, in my mind, short of "tactical-looking" packs and gear, most back packs would serve well and not draw much attention.

True, a Wallstreeter hoofing it with a Jansport might look odd, but if people are bugging out of the area, they might not bother to think about it as they would have more pressing concerns themselves.

Do folks eschew rucks, molle gear and the like for your BOBs for this reason?

#202291 - 05/22/10 04:32 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: CarlosD]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Regarding the look of a BOB, walking around with a backpack in the financial district of San Francisco (or any other Cali downtown) would not look strange at all. I used to work at a law firm where a few partners used backpacks instead of brief cases. Employees who rode motorcycles were typically using backpacks. Many of the wealthiest clients would show up to business meetings looking like the just finished milking cows. I'm sure there are quite a few other cities in America with cultures like that. We aren't in the 70's anymore.

Realistically, I can't imagine myself working in a stuffy city and walking with a complete BOB. I don't work downtown anymore. However, if I did, I would carry only the bare essentials in a rolling briefcase that also carried my laptop and other business stuff. I would go with a backpack for everything if that were most comfortable.

#202296 - 05/22/10 08:40 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: ireckon]
LED Offline
Veteran

Yeah, I see lots of people in business attire toting backpacks. Especially those made my Oakley, Targus, etc. They seem to be more of a a hybrid backpack/briefcase. Don't stand out at all.

#202303 - 05/23/10 12:50 AM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: CarlosD]
Derek Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: CarlosD
Do folks eschew rucks, molle gear and the like for your BOBs for this reason?

Our plan is to make a decision on bugging out (via private car), or bugging in (where we have a very defensible position, around 1 month of freeze dried food, a week's water supply, and the ability to store 100+ gallons more if the building's water tank doesnt run dry first).

Realistically, living in Manhattan as we do, we're likely to bug-in, since evacuating the island is hard enough on a Friday evening, let alone in a chaotic mass evacuation. If we do decide to bug out, our third line gear is preloaded into two military-style rucks, which we keep in a closet. We also keep a folding stroller in the car.

We'd bug out on foot only if we had to abandon our vehicle, which suggests a fairly high threat environment. Under those circumstances, we're assuming a non-permissive environment, so I care less about being low-profile.

#202323 - 05/23/10 01:05 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: Derek]
CarlosD Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Derek

Realistically, living in Manhattan as we do, we're likely to bug-in, since evacuating the island is hard enough on a Friday evening, let alone in a chaotic mass evacuation.

Ha! Truer words were never spoken!

Originally Posted By: Derek

We'd bug out on foot only if we had to abandon our vehicle, which suggests a fairly high threat environment. Under those circumstances, we're assuming a non-permissive environment, so I care less about being low-profile.

Certainly, in that case, anything goes. And I also think most other people would be considered about their own keisters to worry about what others around them are carrying.

I think, unfortunately, if NYers have to bug out, it would almost have to be on foot as I can't imagine our tunnels and bridges would be able to handle such an exodus. As you said, Friday nights are bad enough.

Cheers!

#202330 - 05/23/10 06:18 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: CarlosD]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
True of any large metro area. Bugging out is an option of last resort. If/when I bug-out from SOCAL it will appear to any onlookers like I'm moving; they'll be correct.

#202387 - 05/24/10 05:54 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: Russ]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
I wear a 5.11 vest and the customers in some of the stores assume you are an employee and ask you questions. The majority of the population is not very observant of what's going on around them.

#202391 - 05/24/10 06:42 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: pezhead]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I have a school uniform and I was in walmart and the same happened to me, I love how if someone sees someone they believe is at work Texting in a walmart isle, they do nothig but ask where dish soap is!! smile

#202392 - 05/24/10 06:46 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: sybert777]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
A couple of years ago I was working in a business casual workplace and had on tan dockers and a red polo shirt for the day. i stopped at Target to pick something up and got asked for help about three times before I could get out of there - I realized that the 'uniform' was a red Target shirt and tan pants!

Paul -

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 224 Guests and 84 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.