Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#202038 - 05/18/10 04:50 PM Surviving Parenthood
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
OK folks,

So I have two sons, ages two and four. In the four years I've been a father, I've had the boys in the emergency room five times now.

Older son: Head trauma (skull fracture while he was with a sitter. Still don't know what happened, but she got fired.), dislocated elbow (twice - once was probably my fault, but I kept him from tumbling down a flight of stairs by grabbing his arm, so the MD forgave me.)

Younger son: Febrile Seizure (wrote about it here. ) and then just this morning, he got hit by a car. The car was moving slowly, and he's perfectly fine, but once again I got to do the quick trip home from work with my heart pounding to meet him and his babysitter in the ER.

So, for those of you who have successfully raised kids, and specifically sons, how in the world do I survive until they move out of the house without having a heart attack myself!?!

Sorry for venting, but I really could use a little less excitement in my life lately.

#202042 - 05/18/10 05:50 PM Re: Surviving Parenthood [Re: Jesselp]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Maybe you should switch to daughters? They are a lot easier in the early years. Though I'm getting glimmers this changes as they...mature.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#202044 - 05/18/10 06:09 PM Re: Surviving Parenthood [Re: Blast]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
Though I'm getting glimmers this changes as they...mature.

That they do and not always for the best crazy-

Pete

#202045 - 05/18/10 06:09 PM Re: Surviving Parenthood [Re: Blast]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have a son born with a auto immune disease. So we spent weeks at a time in the hospital for the first 5 years, then he was sequestered for four months. Still spend time in there every few months. Plus the most heartbreaking for me is watching your son be put under for 'procedures'.

All you can do is be prepared. Have your hospital BOB ready to go for all family members. Accidents happen. Some kids are more docile some are daredevils. Really it just comes down to eye to eye contact. I sort of treat my two kids like I did my M-16, never more than 3' from my sight. Of course with kids at home you can move that to the room your in.

You'll learn hopefully that unless its life threatening you got nothing to worry about. The pain and tears and discomfort will go away.

Crap. My wife worry's more about my injuries than my kids. lol

#202054 - 05/18/10 08:45 PM Re: Surviving Parenthood [Re: comms]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I distinguish very harshly between physical damages that can be fixed relatively easy and the rest (including mental damage).

I keep my head cool for any damage in the first category, easily fixed with bandaid, empathy and possibly a tour to the medical ward, at worst hospital for a limited time. I do not wish to sound overly cynical, but bruises cuts and broken bones rarely leave any permanent damage. I can deal with those. And I make this very deliberate choice: I do not wish to shield my kids from activities that can induce that kind of damage. The kids need to learn balance and climbing by falling, tumbling and a certain amount of physical discomfort. There is a downside and a price to pay for this attitude, but I'd rather have that than kids that can't make their footing or can't take any physical discomfort.

Any damages in the second category (severe medical condition, severe head trauma, loss of limb, or the mental kind of damage) gives me shivering. I have also been rushing to the medical ward with a kid with fewer cramps. I also did not know if my daughter would keep her finger tip after she struggled for control of the door with her brother. Both of those was red alert status for a couple of minutes. That is not something I wish to repeat.

#202059 - 05/18/10 11:54 PM Re: Surviving Parenthood [Re: MostlyHarmless]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
After almost seven years of breath-taking adventure, we had our first broken arm this week Jeslep - not my son, but one of his pack that I regularly oversee. The best we can do is to try to get them to think safety first without making them paranoid, and prepare for those times that they don't, or someone else doesn't.

I'm the leader of a group of young kids, mostly boys, in the Scouts organization. As much as we try, there's always one kid that doesn't listen, and usually at least one monkey that sees and does. On a hike last week, one kid last week came running towards me full tilt, off trail and off-balance, through poison ivy and thick vines on the forest floor. As I yelled for him to stop, he ran down a hill and crashed into a bush. He was fine but could have tripped at any moment, not to mention losing an eye or two in that bush. Even the trail we were on was littered with obstacles.

I wasn't your typical girl as a kid. I loved doing the same thing, but I wasn't responsible for anyone else then and I was lucky - my first broken bone was when I as ten and I got it playing hockey. Girls can be just as breath-taking as boys. wink

Like MostlyHarmless, I stay sane by separating the minor and major stuff. I don't stress over the minor stuff. They are going act impulsively, daringly, and with that special irratic lack of coordination that only kids seem have, and they are going to hurt themselves. I try to anticipate it, deal with it, and I try to teach them to anticipate and deal with it to.

I'm teaching my core of three to be proactive about "just in case". They all carry a backpack to school every day so they also take a pack bandaids, along with extra water and snacks, a mini flashlight(they're still scared of the dark), a change of clothes and a raincoat. It's really cool when they remember to use them, and a very neat moment when they tell their friends that they should do the same.

I am very proactive about the serious stuff. There are things that you just can't compromise on. We're prepared to bug in or out at home, and my husband and I both have our emergency info with us at all times, along with a BOB. Emergencies happen so do yourself a favor and be prepared for them. It'll give you peace of mind.

It's a fine balance. You have to on guard, ready to act at any moment, and be able to live your life without constantly feeling on guard. When something happens, deal with it and then reassess so it will be smoother next time.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#202064 - 05/19/10 01:10 AM Re: Surviving Parenthood [Re: bacpacjac]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Learning to live with lives bumps and bruises is hardest on the parents. smile Dealing with lots of serious or major stuff might provide some perspective but only to a point.

My son has put us through a lot, he was diagnosed with Down Syndrome and a major heart defect before he was born. We got through all that, even the hopes and fears that go with getting to the scary open heart surgery on a boy barely 6 months old. There have been plenty of other scary events along the way and you'd think with this background it would be easier to cope with the day in/out bumps and bruises but we still have to work on it with both our kids.

Of course our daughter doesn't make things any easier, she has absolutely no fear and an extreme sense of drama. That means everything that happens, even minor scrapes (which she collects nearly hourly) are an opportunity for waterworks and cries of MOMMY!!! or DADDY!!!!

Its a darned tough balancing act, you want to protect them from everything but you know they have to go out and collect their own set of lessons learned the hard way.

In the long run I am pretty sure my daughter will be my undoing. She is an absolute doll but already a handful. If trends continue as she, uhm... Matures, I don't think I'm going to survive her teen years. Heck, at this rate I'm not sure how I going to make it to her pre-teen years.

- Eric

#202095 - 05/19/10 03:34 PM Re: Surviving Parenthood [Re: Eric]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Lol Eric. I can relate.

#202098 - 05/19/10 03:45 PM Re: Surviving Parenthood [Re: comms]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Hi, my name is Tom, and I have five sons.

When they aren't trying to kill each other or themselves, they are trying to kill me.

We've been to the ER a few times - suprisingly few. Although it amazes me even more that I never saw the inside of one as a kid.

What is it about a boy that makes him think that if jumping from the 4th step up hurt a little, he should try the 5th step to see what happens?

We also have a baby daughter. She's human, not simian like the others. Totally different world. People say girls are expensive. What's a bunch of clothes and shoes compared to totalling the car or burning down the garage?

Should be interesting when she tries to start dating, what with 5 older brothers. That's my only comforting thought.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#202106 - 05/19/10 04:42 PM Re: Surviving Parenthood [Re: Jesselp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Jesselp, the really scary part is that you aren't even NEAR being the winner in the ER Rally.

When I was living in SoCal, a client with five young boys (all redheads, to boot!) was in the ER three times in ONE DAY! The first fell out of a tree when he tried to find how far out on a branch he could go before it dumped him. The second jumped on his bike and started peddling, suddenly discovering that his oldest brother had taken the nut off the front axle of his bike, and flew over the handlebars, landing on his face. That same evening, Mom went into the living room where her youngest was watching TV and chewing on a wooden 12" ruler, and reached down to take the ruler away. He playfully tried to dodge her hand, but his knee came up to shove off and it hit his elbow, which caused him to ram the end of the ruler into the roof of his mouth.

You people with kids have got guts. Maybe not an awful lot of foresight, but a lot of guts.

Dogs are much easier, and no one thinks anything of it when you keep them on a leash or put them into a chainlink run.

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.