Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#202001 - 05/17/10 07:03 PM Re: 24 hours of movement [Re: comms]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wow, that is damn impressive!
I can't even begin to comprehend what you did.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#202002 - 05/17/10 07:35 PM Re: 24 hours of movement [Re: comms]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: comms
It was good training. Ended up at 48 miles.

You da man, comms!

#202010 - 05/17/10 10:39 PM Re: 24 hours of movement [Re: Arney]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Sounds very cool. Details, man! Pack weight, amount of water, etc.

The IT band tends to get problematic on lots of folks, it seems. You can buy big foam "logs" at most big sporting good stores (Chick's, Dick's, etc), that you lie on and slide your body up and down, essentially letting the log stretch your IT band. I suppose having someone use a rolling pin on your leg would do the same thing. My fiance did this when marathon training and it seemed to help a lot.

Congrats! 48 miles is nothing to laugh at. Especially when you consider than in an evac, you might not even drive that far in a day!

#202030 - 05/18/10 03:57 AM Re: 24 hours of movement [Re: MDinana]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Details. Details. Ummm. I used a newer pack for me, the Lafuma Cinetik 11 pro pack. Because I am doing longer unsupported runs and dayhikes I want a pack that carry's more space than the typical Camelbak MULE, which I have mostly used for a decade. (A gear guy never commits to just one pack). I weighed the pack before leaving and fully loaded it was 9.62 lbs.

I carried ~70 oz of water in a reservoir, plus a 16oz water bottle with various carbo mixes (Gatorade, Heed, OJ). I never ran out of water but it got hot quick in the pack which made me desire ice at every stop.

Food. Confession. My plan was to purposefully use junk food and stuff I don't normally eat. I do this in long training b/c its the only way to test my body for 'race' day. For example, if all you train with is vanilla gu and all they have on the race course is double latte gel, you better be used to eating it if its the only calories you can get. So I ate snickers bars. Regular Coke, pop tarts. Sunflower seeds. I also ate various new gels for flavor samplings. I grabbed a turkey and cheese sandwich at a gas station. banana. Nuts. OJ. Perrier. (I love seltzer water). Digestion was great and had no problems. Because I was trying so many new foods while under training conditions, i did not combine sugars in my stomach. Meaning, I did not eat a new gel, washed down with a new carbo drink. I usually waited 20 minutes between food types for digestive purposes.

I carried a 65 lumen Black Diamond Spot headlamp.
I had a bright red blinking LED for the back of my pack.
I had my SPOT2 which worked great for real time tracking. One friend text me and asked why I hadn't moved in a while. I was airing out my feet for the first time in 10 hours.
I had a slightly modified AMK Ultralight med kit.
Battery charger for my iphone, worked great.
Endurolyte tablets (electrolyte replacement)
I had two Buffs and one bandanna.
I had my camera. Took a few minutes of video every couple hours.
Vaseline lip balm. Mandatory EDC for the desert as a friction barrier.
My Polar heart rate monitor that also figures pace and distance.
UL toilet kit. (Dog park bag and 1oz of baby wipes)

There was probably one or two other small items I carried with me that I am forgetting.

I have a foam roller. I use it for my back, neck, calves, hamstrings. I also own "The Stick" (rolling pin) for stretching muscles. I have never had an IT problem before so did not focus on that area. Got a massage tonight which has helped.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.