The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#192936 - 01/07/10 10:46 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Andy]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I have an iPhone with a couple of book reader apps (including kindle). Several of my coworkers have Kindles. None of us have paid for any books yet.

There are lots of sources of free books available on line depending on your needs/tastes. Project Gutenberg has lots of free books that are no longer protected by copyright. Several publishers offer free samples including, Random House, Harlequin and Baen. There are lots of other sources as well.

Currently I have about 147 books on my iPhone. Convenience factor is very high and the battery has lasted through a full 14 hour day of travel, lots of cell phone calls, some web surfing and at least 6 hours of book reading with the music playing. It won't run for days on end without a charge, but neither will I.

Hope that helps,

- Eric

#193031 - 01/08/10 08:03 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: comms]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Interesting article out of CES on the blurring of technology when it comes to mobile devices along the lines of what we've been discussing here. Tablet Fever

#193035 - 01/08/10 08:21 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Eric]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Let's see:

$300 (reader) + $9.99 and up per title (e-book) - fragile - electronic - can't resell - can't borrow/loan = FAIL

versus

$0.00 (reader) + $4.50 and up per title (paperback) + works everywhere + won't break + can resell + can borrow/loan = WIN!

Not interested. Not even a little.

#193036 - 01/08/10 08:27 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Mark_M]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I just read about the new Skiff reader on CNN. I googled up skiff and sniffed around their web site. I really like the layout and options on it but (when it's announced) I'll bet the price tag cools me off a bit. wink

#193046 - 01/08/10 09:05 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Mark_M]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Let's see:

$300 (reader) + $9.99 and up per title (e-book) - fragile - electronic - can't resell - can't borrow/loan = FAIL

versus

$0.00 (reader) + $4.50 and up per title (paperback) + works everywhere + won't break + can resell + can borrow/loan = WIN!

Ditto.

#193051 - 01/08/10 09:47 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Dagny]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I understand the perspective, but I think that math is slightly biased.

-john

#193052 - 01/08/10 09:57 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Mark_M]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Let's see:

versus

Frighteningly enough I agree. E-books will not replace my books and as I said earlier I have not paid for any e-books or even my "reader".

My view is that I already have the iPhone (or PDA) for other reasons so a free reader and free books is a pretty nice use of something I already have. Equally important I can travel for a couple of weeks without carting around several large heavy books. Or worse (since I re-read books) buying and disposing of books as I go.

I much prefer reading paper books but the convenience factor is pretty darned high for the iPhone (or other PDA) since it is something that will be with you most of the time anyway.

- Eric

Edited by Eric (01/08/10 09:57 PM)

#193057 - 01/08/10 10:28 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Andy]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Que Reader may prove to be popular in the the next couple of years. (but I would certainly wait until the prices come down)

http://www.que.com/

http://buyque.barnesandnoble.com/specifications/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-UPDiJiIGY

#193158 - 01/10/10 02:40 PM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I read a lot of ebooks. I don't own any dedicated ebook reader; I read them on my iPhone or on my laptop. I won't buy any media encumbered with DRM, which pretty much eliminates the Kindle and the Nook for me.

The iPhone is an imperfect ebook reader but it's not terrible. As a way to bring reading material with me with minimal bulk it works well for me.

#201840 - 05/15/10 03:02 AM Re: E-book Reader Advice [Re: chaosmagnet]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Like I stated in earlier post, I got my mom a Barnes and Noble Nook for Christmas and do to some medical issues with her eyes she can't use it for a while. So I am borrowing it. I have read about 6 books on it so far and I will admit I don't really want to give it back.

Its pretty study as is, but I carry it in a large Alsok waterproof bag when I read it in my hot tub or doing stationary cardio. I found that with a computer app called Overdrive you can check out library books and download to Nook. This is standard for all readers I believe. The books I bought are all $7.50. I still prefer free library books but at basically a 1/4 to 1/3 price to hardcover, its not a terrible hardship to spend the money.

E-ink is not hard on the eyes at all. However, if using a headlamp it needs to be set weak, diffused or offset so it doesn't glare out the page. In fact I have gone to using a blue photon light when reading in bed. if I could find my petzl e+lite, I'd be happier.

surprisingly, I am ashamed to say I prefer pushing the side button to turn the page rather than you know...going through all the energy of actually turning a page.

End result. I'm happy with it.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.