Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#201631 - 05/11/10 12:36 PM Re: Annual Preparedness Audit [Re: MartinFocazio]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Long island is doomed if a cat 5 hits. I lived there a long time, there's no way to evacuate, in normal conditions traffic is impossible, in and emergency it would be completely impossible except by air or by water. There's no place on the Island where cat 5 winds would not be devastating, and the storm surge alone would destroy huge amounts of property south of Sunrise Highway. The North Shore of Nassau County would suffer tremendous tree damage, the roads up that way are few, narrow, and tree-lined. Out east things are low enough for washovers to happen, and even in the middle - places like Mineola, East Meadow, Centerreach, Islip and so on, flooding would be a big issue as the groundwater catch basin systems are of limited capacity. The more i know about emergency planning and management, the better i feel about moving away from there in the mid 1990's. Sorry, thats just how it is.

Well great, Martin. Way to make me feel good about where I live!

I'm on the South Shore of Long Island. On a barrier Island, to be more specific. Life here has many things going for it, and it really is pretty close to a seaside paradise within commuting distance of NYC.

That said, my hurricane plans include hefty insurance premiums and bugging out early and often. First choice would be my in-laws' place in the Catskills, second choice is my folks pre-war, high-floor apartment in Morningside Heights in Manhattan (high ground). There's no way I'm staying to see what a direct hit would look like - all the models show my house under tens of feet of water.

So for me, preparing for hurricane season involves mostly reviewing my insurance coverage, and figuring out how to pay for it. I fully expect to lose everything if we get hit by a big storm.

Am I dumb? We'll see.

#201635 - 05/11/10 01:49 PM Re: Annual Preparedness Audit [Re: MartinFocazio]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I don't think you're dumb. I assume you love where you live, and you're aware of the risks. I assume you get more utility out of living someplace amazing than the risk of losing it all costs you!

My family has a second home that is in a similar situation, if that area gets hit w/a storm, it is gone, maybe the indent from the crawl space will be left, but it is super nice to be close the beach! Ha.

#201639 - 05/11/10 03:14 PM Re: Annual Preparedness Audit [Re: Jesselp]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Jesselp

That said, my hurricane plans include hefty insurance premiums and bugging out early and often. First choice would be my in-laws' place in the Catskills, second choice is my folks pre-war, high-floor apartment in Morningside Heights in Manhattan (high ground). There's no way I'm staying to see what a direct hit would look like - all the models show my house under tens of feet of water.

Welllll....

Were you on Long Island for the storm of 1992?
http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/2010/03/noreaster.html

I was. I was also supposed to be in New York City in the midst of that storm. I tried - for six hours - to get from exit 41 on the Long Island Expressway to ANY East River crossing. I never made it. This was just a Nor'easter.

I've spent 4 hours sitting in traffic on the Southern State/Belt parkway just trying to get from East Meadow to JFK.

I sure hope you can make it to NYC high ground and they are able to accommodate you. No way you'll make it to the Catskills unless you leave 4 days in advance.

#201648 - 05/11/10 06:42 PM Re: Annual Preparedness Audit [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I usually try to do mine in Feb when its too cold and wet to do much outside. This year I bought a new binder to hold my important data (similar to blasts binder), old one was just a simple three ring binder but I now have some legal size papers so I needed to get something that size.
I had a couple bills that had not been converted to paperless yet. Went through and replaced a lot of FAK stuff, all the stuff that I have to replace about once a year due to expiring and some stuff that last longer but was in need of fresh.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.