Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#201084 - 04/27/10 08:00 PM Re: kerosene lanterns / lamps [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
With multi-day power outages this year my LED lanterns have never let me down.

Kerosene has its purpose but in my home I will only be using LED. They last forever on a set of batteries and are MUCH safer indoors.

I don't see any benefit to kerosene being used indoors with modern technology, and I`m pretty found of old ways of doing stuff too.

#201094 - 04/28/10 12:15 AM Re: kerosene lanterns / lamps [Re: Todd W]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the bright side this, being spring, it is a good time to buy kerosene. Prices are down as retailers clear inventory.

#201103 - 04/28/10 04:10 AM Re: kerosene lanterns / lamps [Re: DFW]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
We have used flat wick and Aladdin lamps since I was a wee child growing up in rural Missouri. We would be without electricity several days each winter. Periodically we would change the kerosene in the lamps as it does “go bad” and gum up the wicks otherwise.
While in college and living in a trailer in KCMO in the mid '80's we were without power for 2 weeks and lived fine with Aladdin Lamps for light and a kerosene heater for heat (and LP cook stove and hot water heater). Very little if any smell – keep the wicks trimmed and only use K-1 kerosene (better quality). Keep adequate ventilation. If memory serves me correctly we used about 10 gallons of kerosene for those 2 weeks.

#201196 - 04/29/10 08:47 PM Re: kerosene lanterns / lamps [Re: marduk]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

For Todd W: (and any others who might wonder why I would bother with kerosene)

For me, it's about diversifying and giving myself options. If I run out of batteries, I will be able to fall back on another heat/light source with kerosene. If I can't find kerosene for the stove or lamps, I might at least be able to score some wood for the fireplace to stay warm in the dark. Think also wood pellets, coal - I live near areas where you can scavange it off the sides of the roads when it falls off the trucks - shoot, even dried cow pats will burn!

I figured out a long time ago, that no individual can be prepared for every possibility. Even the very well prepared may have to resort to Plan B if the emergency lingers longer than they imagined. What I can do/have room to store/afford to buy, I think of accumulating in multiples for barter. Someone will probably have what I need and vice versa. The more diversity, the more options.

#201213 - 04/30/10 05:31 AM Re: kerosene lanterns / lamps [Re: DFW]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
DFW- We heat with wood exclusively, so I know what you mean wink Heck, we got 4" of snow last night... winter is not over in these here mountains just yet!

I do have a kerosene lantern, and 2 propane... if I were buying more lanterns I think I'd go with the ones that can run on unleaded gas too those seem nifty. Unleaded gas lantern, and then one for diesel/kerosene, you have a pretty wide variety of fuel choices.. add in their battery/led and you are set laugh

When power goes out we rely on LED but I guess if we had to we could switch to kerosene, but propane is before it in line laugh LOL!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 344 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.