Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#200648 - 04/21/10 02:14 AM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My father waas a psychiatrist. Once, long ago when my EMT cert was current, I was visiting him when a neighbor came over clutching his profusely bleeding hand. Dad just looked at me and said, "I think this one is for you, son".....He was a very able assistant.

Nurses seem to be everywhere. I was presenting at a national archaeological convention many years ago, when a very obvious Thunk! interrupted my sterling presentation. It was my very good friend and assistant going into a grand mal seizure. As I reached his side, a lady identifying herself as a nurse appeared out of nowhere. What was a nurse doing hanging out with arckies?

Same thing happened at an auto accident when I was out on a run. Just as I reached the vehicle, another nurse showed up. I don't know how they do it, but it's great.

#200650 - 04/21/10 02:29 AM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: hikermor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Well done sir. My brother ended up the lone responder on a flight over the pole from Heathrow, no doctors, nurses, EMTs, just an air crew without enough know-how and him, he has volunteered in two ERs but has been busy hocking software for at least a decade. He was 'in charge' because the woman was sitting next to him when she collapsed unconscious into the aisle. No one else stepped up, so he stepped in. He kept the patient stable and on oxygen and the flight diverted to Innavut or somewhere like that to get her medical assistance.

The one thing he mentioned is some a-hole snapping pics of the woman during treatment, the air crew made that guy stop. Its nice to think that someone will come along and take over treatment with greater expertise than you, but probably not, you may be all that's available, best to get it done with what you have, which is mostly between your ears (plus oxygen).

I think my bro got alot of thanks and gratitude from the crew and is lately on the short list for receiving free and sudden upgrades on that particular airline (one that he doesn't often fly on actually).

#200652 - 04/21/10 02:37 AM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: Lono]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Jesselp The Gods of medicine are smiling upon you, it's good to know some Docs (and nurses) know when to "hand the reins over" to someone who knows what their doing.

Mike
ER Trauma Tech

#200672 - 04/21/10 01:57 PM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: kd7fqd]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
A few years ago, 3 others and myself were on a flight returning to Maryland from Colorado, where we had just finished our Ice Rescue Instructor training. An announcement was made requesting a doctor or nurse, as one of the passengers was experiencing chest pain. We alerted the Flight Attendant of our presence (2 Paramedics and 2 EMTs) and would be glad to assist. She told us that the airline policy was to ask for medical assistance from a doctor first, followed by a nurse, regardless of their specialty. We were perhaps 40 minutes from landing at BWI, but the doctor requested an emergency landing at the nearest airport, which was back along the flight path. It took 10 minutes to redirect the flight; 20 minutes return time and another 15 minutes to land (45 minutes total). The passenger appeared alert and orientated, with no visible signs of distress. We mentioned to the Flight Attendant, that we would have had the plane continue to BWI. She smiled and said the Doctor was a Pediatrician, did not feel comfortable treating the patient in the air and wanted to get her to the hospital ASAP.

Pete

#200673 - 04/21/10 02:03 PM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: paramedicpete]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I am writing up the lawsuit against you right now...

I kid, I kid!

Good job man.

#200676 - 04/21/10 02:19 PM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Exclent job. it pays to be ready and it apears that you are one very prepaird person!

Great job on the quick thinking.

that drives home that just becouse they are a Dr. doesn't mean that they carry or hone the emergency skillset. Remember this during disasters and emergencies.

#200696 - 04/21/10 06:28 PM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: ]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Thanks a lot for sharing, I am impressed. Good job smile

#200708 - 04/21/10 11:47 PM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: Jesselp]
LED Offline
Veteran

Don't know how I missed this thread. Excellent work! You really handled that situation well.

#200740 - 04/22/10 01:30 PM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: LED]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Thanks for all the kudos folks. Really wasn't what I was looking for.

I try to carry the tools necessary to make use of the skills I have. I know myself, and I know that I would not be able to live with myself if I simply sat by and watched when I had the skills and knowledge to make a difference. I know a lot of folks on this board feel the same way.

I know that a lot of us get resistance from friends and family, wondering why we lug around the EDC kits that we do. I simply wanted to provide an example of how my EDC allowed me to help out in an emergency, and do so from a position of relative safety by carrying gloves and a pocket mask.

I may feel bad about not helping, but I've got a wife and kids to think about, and there's no way I'm doing mouth-to-mouth without a mask (except for my wife or kids), nor do I want to be touching bodily fluids of a stranger without gloves. Without my EDC, the decision to jump in and help a stranger becomes much more complicated.

Thanks again for the kind words from all of you. Keep carrying your EDC, learn as much as you can, hope you never have to use any of it, but know you are prepared if you ever do.

#200743 - 04/22/10 03:07 PM Re: Always Carry Your Kit [Re: Jesselp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Oh, we all know you weren't trolling for praise, but you're getting it anyway. Deal with it! grin

Sue

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 519 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.