Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#200142 - 04/14/10 01:51 PM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Christina
I highly recommend anything in the Zojirushi line.

+1 on Zojirushi brand. The Japanese have long made great insulated food containers. Tiger is another good Japanese brand. I have both brands and they have never let me down. Make sure you get a Made in Japan one. I wouldn't be surprised if both companies have cheaper models made elsewhere that are sold in discount stores.

#200143 - 04/14/10 02:02 PM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: scafool]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: scafool
(remember, NEVER try cleaning them with bleach. Bleach causes pinholes in the steel and wrecks them)

+1 bleach is highly corrosive. To remove coffee stains, I use "softened" water to soak overnight and usually the interior is back to like-new condition the next morning. If the stain is really thick, may take more than one try to get it shiny again. I use powerdered Calgon water softener, but I assume liquid water softener should work equally well. May temporarily leave a floral scent from the water softener.

The water softener tricks works wonders on many baked on stains in pots and pans. I have soaked burnt food for days in plain water--nothing. Still rock hard. But then one night of soaking with the water softener and it slips right off as I pour out the water.

#200146 - 04/14/10 02:41 PM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: Kris]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Lifeventure TIV should come with both the screw stopper and the one touch stopper. If the bottle is leaking especially when using the screw stopper I would take it back to the store for a replacement as it doesn't meet British Standards for quality or safety.

Quote:
Would like to try Sigg's, but do you know if they put the lining on them like their water bottles?

Being food grade stainless steel the Sigg thermos doesn't have a lining.

Quote:
Looking at Thermos now, they have one thats similiar to the Lifeventure one I have now. Fits nice in the briefcase. Debating on it.

If it's the Thermos Everyday 50 model I would stay well away. I have one and cannot stand the design of the stopper. The Leak proof auto stopper for easy pouring operation is very difficult to clean and isn't very leak proof and it doesn't pour well either. It really is only useful for boiling water rather than coffee as it is such a pain in the b*tt to keep clean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Everyday-Stainless-Steel-Flask/dp/B0001MQ8IU

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/14/10 03:34 PM)

#200154 - 04/14/10 04:01 PM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Zojirushi. I have this one for 3 years or so. Very well made and thought out construction. Pouring nose is extremely convenient.

#200187 - 04/15/10 01:01 AM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: Alex]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
RE Stainless steel and bleech

There is actually a major problem with chlorides and stainless - it's one ofthe reasons that boilers are not ALLOWED to be made out of stainless - Look up Chloride Stress Cracking of stainless - almost everthing you will find DOES have to do with pressure vessels (in particular Nuke Reactors), but...
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#200190 - 04/15/10 02:05 AM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: KG2V]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: KG2V
RE Stainless steel and bleech

There is actually a major problem with chlorides and stainless - it's one ofthe reasons that boilers are not ALLOWED to be made out of stainless - Look up Chloride Stress Cracking of stainless - almost everthing you will find DOES have to do with pressure vessels (in particular Nuke Reactors), but...

+10 to this. CSC keeps me employed.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#200194 - 04/15/10 05:41 AM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Wow, that's interesting. Especially since it's counter-intuitive. Maybe I could make some (utterly shameless) points the next time I pitch a tech writing gig. Got any links I could look at?

#200228 - 04/15/10 04:18 PM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: dougwalkabout]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Wow, that's interesting. Especially since it's counter-intuitive. Maybe I could make some (utterly shameless) points the next time I pitch a tech writing gig. Got any links I could look at?

Here you go, with pictures and everything.
What is Chloride Stress Cracking?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#200484 - 04/19/10 11:20 AM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: Kris]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had ordered the Sigg thermo bottle ring line and it was delivered today. So time for a quick review.

It is now in the process of being returned to back to Amazon. Although the bottle is beautifully designed and very attractive aesthetics, its performance is appalling. No name brands from the local discount store will perform better.

The stopper doesn't leak hot water, but the the whole bottle just leaks heat. The main stainless steel body is actually warmer to the touch than the cup and stopper at the top of the bottle indicating very little vacuum between the stainless steel walls. For the price that was paid this is completely unacceptable for a vacuum flask and now makes me wonder about the quality of the products that Sigg produce. It doesn't compare to even a 1 litre Coleman flask or even the el cheapo Thermos Everyday 50 model I have.

In think I will replace the Sigg with a Stanley thermos (are these Chinese made as well?) or try and retrieve the ancient Taiwanese made Coleman flask, I have lent out to a friend.

#200485 - 04/19/10 11:59 AM Re: Need a new thermos! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Thanks for that mini review.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 510 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.