Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#200653 - 04/21/10 03:00 AM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: Eugene]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Something I did years ago was start wearing hiking socks as dress socks. I get the dark black/blue ones so they look just like dress socks and if you shop around enough are not any more expensive. I bought a bunch of the three packs at sams club back in 2003 and still have a couple that haven't been worn. The colors that don't work for dress socks I don't have any grey pants but three pair of grey socks) I put in my BOB at home.

This is a good point - I'm reminded of a long, rainy walk through London one saturday, from Islington through Camden out to Victoria Park then back to my hotel south of the House of Parliament, miles and miles, don't ask me why I didn't tube the whole thing, it was great fun walking all day, but tiring - but not painful, because I packed two pair of bridgedale hiking socks that trip, and changed socks somewhere around Cheapside. My walking dress shoes, soaked, my feet though arrived back at the hotel wet but warm, without blisters. If I had done this with dress socks I would have surely crapped out after 5 miles and called a taxi, and arrived home with blisters.

I count myself lucky that I can wear running shoes or trail shoes (plus whatever socks I want) every day, I only have to wear my dressports when I am on the road and need to be a bit more presentable.

#200658 - 04/21/10 04:28 AM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: hikermor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Also, in California, there were some pretty bad fires a couple years ago. The government seemed to be well prepared, but what if the government wasn't? Then, many people would have been stranded and desperate, which would have lead to unrest or worse...

California has pretty bad fires on a regular basis, and has learned to deal with them fairly effectively. There have been a few exceptions, but they are rare.

I think a key factor, not surprisingly, is the relative affluence of the populations. In California, everyone has a car. You simply drive away from the flames, bypassing the Red Cross and large animal shelters on the way to the motel/resort/friend's home of your choice. Shelters are typically underutilized. Even a very bad fire which guts a few hundred homes affects only a very small fraction of the population, hence there is no large scale disruption.

I'm fairly certain northern Cali is not prepared for fires like southern Cali is. I have lived in northern Cali for about 30 years total. Anyway, I think my original assertion is true. The government stepped in heavily and greatly helped many people who were displaced in the big fires from a few years ago. However, I don't think the point of this site is to say, "Cool, I don't have to worry because others and the government will help me out."

#200667 - 04/21/10 12:24 PM Re: Commuting on the train [Re: Chisel]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Chisel
In my office kit I have added a homemade "survival necklace. What you do is take a badge holder like this one:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50743642/Lanyards_With_ID_Badge_Holders.jpg

Remove the badge sleeve ( you can use for a fresnel lens) and add a ring or D-ring to the lanyard. Attach a whistle, a small flashlight ..etc.

You can keep it in the bag. But in case of emergency, you want those items on your person, so you have the means to wear them like a necklace.

Good counsel. I have a house key, Doug Ritter's e-Pico light and a Fox-40 whistle on a neck chain that I wear every time I take my dog for a walk. If it's not on my neck it's in whatever purse or bag I take with me out of the house.

Hardly notice it and I've got two essentials instantly accessible.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.