Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#199937 - 04/09/10 07:16 PM Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ?
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Esbit fuel is good for some applications. It won't spill and won't go bang if you mistakenly expose it to too much heat. However, esbit is not the most efficient way of delivering heat to food. That is where the rocket stove concept would help increase the efficiency of an esbit stove. I wish to have/make a stove where I would throw in a few esbit cubes, a few coals, a few twigs and the stove will give me a wonderful lunch !!

I have looked at several u-tubes, but it was either a esbit stove or rocket stove. Even when I happily saw the "pocket rocket " stove , it turned out to be a gas stove.

Can anyone help with links to any existing esbit/rocket stove otr where to steal some ideas for making one.

Thanks

#199939 - 04/09/10 07:24 PM Re: Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ? [Re: Chisel]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
My gut reaction is that a
Bushbuddy stove or something similar should work just fine for what you describe. At least I see no reason why not. My understanding is that the Bushbuddy is a "rocket stove" with secondary combustion.

Or you could make your own, here's one description that seems promising:
Penny wood gas backpacking stove

As soon as I get my greasy fingers on some esbit cubes I plan to test them in my "survival cup" (just a stainless double walled cup that I've cut apart to create a minimalistic wood burning stove. Inner layer is the cooking / drinking part, outer shell is the stove part). No secondary combustion, but it works quite OK for what it is. I'll let you know how the Esbit experiment plays out, but with current trends it might take a few weeks or so.

#199961 - 04/10/10 02:25 AM Re: Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ? [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
You might want to check out The Sportsmans guide.I purchased 2 Swiss Volcano stoves for 20 bucks.They weigh 14oz,Made entirely of Aluminum,each comes with an aluminum bottle(aprox.20oz) with a cork.With a Hardwood tinder fire,It boiled that bottle full of water in about 7 minutes for me.I used Fatwood slivers to get the oakwood going.I'm thinking of Modifying 1 & Keeping the other intact.Good luck,& I have No Affiliation with Sportsmans Guide!

#199962 - 04/10/10 02:42 AM Re: Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ? [Re: Richlacal]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i have one and wondered why they would put a cork in the flask rather than a modern canteen cap.on another site a fellow from across the pond said they did that so the Swiss Gi's could not blow up the flask by heating something with a screw cap.

#199964 - 04/10/10 02:50 AM Re: Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
That is Funny! I also wondered why the cork? Man! That almost sounds Polish,lol!

#199965 - 04/10/10 03:45 AM Re: Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ? [Re: Richlacal]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
*BUMP* (and rather OT, sorry)

I just googled "Swiss Volcano Stove" and came up with an old ETS thread that's awesome. Craziest liquid-fuel stoves I've ever seen. How did I miss this in '08?

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=119291

#199971 - 04/10/10 11:02 AM Re: Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ? [Re: dougwalkabout]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

#200025 - 04/12/10 07:35 AM Re: Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ? [Re: dougwalkabout]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
*BUMP* (and rather OT, sorry)

I just googled "Swiss Volcano Stove" and came up with an old ETS thread that's awesome. Craziest liquid-fuel stoves I've ever seen. How did I miss this in '08?

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=119291

CRAZY is the operative word, I think... wink

I almost bought one (ebay), but backed out... if the price had been lower I would have gone for it, but my google-fu revealed some really interesting descriptions of this stove.

Lighting the stove involves holding the stove upside down while unscrewing the valve / burner head just a little, let some fuel drops starts to drip out and lit them up. After a few seconds the heat has heated the burner head and the fuel tank, and the flames turn blue (pressurized release of vapor, not liquid white gaz). Now flip it over and start cooking.

My impression is that if you do this EXACTLY right (which requires guts, accurately timing and LOTS of practice) you can do the initial pre-heat without spilling burning liquid white gaz everywhere. It also requires due attention while going: The pressure buildup due to the unit getting warmer means that you must turn it down or face the flames of doom. It has earned its nick name "Borde boomb" for a reason. Not to ignore that the way to regulate the flame is to turn the glowing hot burner head, so don't misplace that tool (or the heat tempering of your multi-tool pliers will be gone forever).

Even though I have a pyromaniac tendency and would LOVE this stove I have to admit that this design has some serious limitations. If only someone would make a stove with similar form factor but slightly more conventional operating procedures...

#200027 - 04/12/10 11:08 AM Re: Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ? [Re: Chisel]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
However, esbit is not the most efficient way of delivering heat to food. That is where the rocket stove concept would help increase the efficiency of an esbit stove.

The EtaPower pots would help improve the heat transfer from the Esbit Hexamine by quite a margin. Hexamine gives roughly the same heat output per gram as alcohol methylated spirit fuel. The only problem with using the EtaPower pots is the residue left by the esbit tablets, which would make cleaning up a tricky prospect due to heat exchanger fins.

Esbit tablets are best used for very lightweight stoves with limited time duration, i.e. less than a couple of days use or for an emergency backup stove where storing liquid or gas fuel is troublesome. As with any alcohol stove a wind shield is quite critical.

Total Weight is around 300gms including a small titanium or aluminium sheet windshield (not shown). Each esbit tab (Total of 12) can bring to the boil around 400ml of cold water (enough for Mountain House freeze dried meal etc). This cooking system does have its limitations though and is only really any good at heating water. Cooking may prove to be difficult unless its a very simple meal such as noodles, rice, soups or pasta etc and so is very much a compromise of weight versus performance.

#200028 - 04/12/10 11:17 AM Re: Have you seen an esbit / rocket stove anywhere ? [Re: Chisel]
NIM Offline

I haven't tried all the stoves but I have tried (and bought) a Bushbuddy. (I am not connected to selling them).

They are easy to light and don't required special fire starting fuels or consideration. They can burn anything (wet pine cones lying around, wet twigs) and they are fantastically efficient.

I can boil a small pot of water in less than 5 minutes (from the time I light a match). I have conventional fuel stoves (white gas) that can't do that. They produce almost no smoke (once up to temperature... say after 90 seconds or so) and the container doesn't get hot enough to scorch anything touching it. This includes leather gloves etc.

I've cooked up dinner in places where I would NEVER consider starting a normal fire -no matter how small. This is because the fire is totally contained (with only the danger of sparks depending on the wood you use) and the actual amount of burning material at any one time is tiny. This allows the location of the stove in areas where a fire would not be practical (or where a fireproof campfire base could not be established and there is a risk of forest loam catching fire).

Other perks are 1) It is incredibly light.
2) It fits perfectly in a titanium container (see their website).
3) The container can be inverted to snuff the fire out or create charcoal for future use.
4) It can be used in areas that prohibit campfires but permit the use of stoves. (Which includes setting it on my back deck and preparing a cup of tea).
5) Once the fuel is consumed the coals will still provide intense heat for 5 minutes or so. Perfect for 'cave man TV'. Looks just like staring into the coals of a campfire (obviously).
6) There is almost TOTAL consumption of the material. All that is left is ash (fine white powder). I was most surprised by this. I would never expect that I could scoop up and feed wet pine cones and the stray leaves on my deck and achieve 100% combustion.

I give this stove an A+. Perfect for emergencies, camping and survival camping (when you need to be sneaky and keep smells, smoke, and visible fire to a min.)

Again, I don't have anything to benefit by endorsing them. It is just rare that I'm impressed by a product.

-NIM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 538 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.