Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#199931 - 04/09/10 05:59 PM Re: silent crashing airplane hazard [Re: Compugeek]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
All the article says is "bloodied body". So we don't know (unless I missed it re-reading the thread smile ) whether it hit him full on, in the upper body, or just clipped him in the head.

So maybe, if he'd seen it, all he'd have had to do was thrown himself to the ground. Normal human reaction time is 1/2 to 3/4 of a second. You don't have to register "OMG, there's an airplane coming right at me, I need to run to the side and get out of the way." All you need is "OMG there's something coming right at me!" And we're all pretty good at that basic level of survival response.

Ultimately, though, this was just an unfortunate concatenation of circumstances. Or "Stuff happens."

(This thread is kind of silly, but I can't just leave it alone.)

I don't agree with what you said about moving out of the way. If you can provide one example since the Wright Brothers in which somebody said they ducked to avoid a crashing plane, then I may take one step in the direction of believing you.

#199940 - 04/09/10 07:35 PM Re: silent crashing airplane hazard [Re: ireckon]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I don't agree with what you said about moving out of the way. If you can provide one example since the Wright Brothers in which somebody said they ducked to avoid a crashing plane, then I may take one step in the direction of believing you.

Did the plane hit the ground before it hit the jogger?

"There was no noise". It "was 'basically gliding' as it hit and instantly killed Jones."

Those lead me to believe it was still airborne when it hit him. And that, maybe, if he had seen it, he could have ducked or thrown himself flat and avoided it that way. But this is all speculation based on incomplete information, and shouldn't be taken as any more than that. It's a tragic "one in a million", and my sympathy goes out to the family and to the pilot.

Edited by Compugeek (04/09/10 07:36 PM)

#199944 - 04/09/10 08:36 PM Re: silent crashing airplane hazard [Re: ireckon]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
(This thread is kind of silly, but I can't just leave it alone.)

Quite.

Then again, DFA, Death From Above, coming out of nowhere plucks the strings of instinctual fears. Things many people fear at a visceral level. Another common one getting eaten by an animal. They are not entirely unfounded fears, they happen, but it is also not entirely rational either.

I know people who simply will not swim in the ocean for fear of being eaten by a shark. Many deep-water sailors refuse to swim in the middle of the ocean. Something about swimming over several thousand feet of water grips them. They can swim in water near shore without a problem but out of sight of land with hundreds or thousands of feet of open water under you is just too much like stepping out into the void for them.

The picture on the cover of "Jaws" might sum it up. A lone figure in a wide dark sea. With a great beast directly below them, unseen, about to eat them alive.

At some level we are still cave dwellers huddling together for safety. Shivering in fear as unseen monsters howl and bellow. We are not armored and we lack any inherent weapons. For most of the history of humanity, many thousands of years, we survived by backing into a corner or climbing a tree and hiding. Waking up to new dawn. Looking around to see who got dragged off and eaten and who survived. Part of our brain is focused on unseen forces that might snatch up away to an untimely end. We haven't changed much.

#199945 - 04/09/10 09:08 PM Re: silent crashing airplane hazard [Re: Art_in_FL]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
. . .At some level we are still cave dwellers huddling together for safety. Shivering in fear as unseen monsters howl and bellow. We are not armored and we lack any inherent weapons. For most of the history of humanity, many thousands of years, we survived by backing into a corner or climbing a tree and hiding. Waking up to new dawn. Looking around to see who got dragged off and eaten and who survived. Part of our brain is focused on unseen forces that might snatch up away to an untimely end. We haven't changed much.
That is so true, but at the same time we can't let that fear go to extremes. We need to "figure the odds". Even though this happened, the "odds" were extremely slim; they are still extremely slim.

#199948 - 04/09/10 09:51 PM Re: silent crashing airplane hazard [Re: Russ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
As they say, you never hear the one that gets you.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 578 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.