The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#199769 - 04/06/10 10:36 PM Re: Be careful out there. . . [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
AFAIK judging from the news images, the EMT was struck on the back side of a blind curve. That said, traffic had to be slowing, there's most always a good deal of traffic there and any problem starts to back traffic up. I can't understand how this woman was unable to avoid and had so much speed that after that she lost control. Regardless, since I may get tagged with jury duty, I'll reserve judgment.

Edited by Russ (04/07/10 07:18 PM)

#199811 - 04/07/10 02:43 PM Re: Be careful out there. . . [Re: MDinana]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: ILBob
If I see emergency vehicles stopped on the side of the road I pull into the farthest lane from them but a fair number of times I do not see them until I am right up on them, and it is not safe to change lanes.

Then I have to question...

Is it b/c there are lots of hills, curves, obstructions?

Or are you not looking far enough down the road?

It is pretty hard to see flashing lights or cars pulled over during the day from any distance when there is traffic in front of you. Its not unusual for me to not be able to see them until I am within 100 yards or less, and if there is any kind of traffic in the other lane, thats not a lot of distance to work with.

Bob

#199826 - 04/07/10 05:31 PM Re: Be careful out there. . . [Re: ILBob]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Not having witnessed the event, I will not comment on the fault or no-fault of the driver in this case. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends and co-workers of this EMT and know for certain that but for the grace of God, that I too on numerous occasions may have suffered the same fate.

What I will say, having been in Emergency Services for over 20 years, is that “fault” is a two way street. I have personally witnessed many times when 1st Responders (Police, EMS, Fire/Rescue) have developed tunnel vision or a sense of invulnerability and do not take proper caution when working in potentially hazardous areas. I have had new guys pumped on adrenaline pop out of the apparatus without even looking to see if another vehicle was coming. On the other hand, I have also witnessed (more frequently) the poor judgment of drivers, both in-route to a call and as they approach the scene of an event/accident. Many times when in-route and you are approaching a vehicle from behind, they suddenly realize you are behind them, they freeze, slam on their brakes, forcing you to take evasive action.

Pete

#199837 - 04/08/10 12:07 AM Re: Be careful out there. . . [Re: paramedicpete]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
All good points Pete. You're right, safety IS a dependent on watching your own butt too.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.