The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#201279 - 05/02/10 01:26 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: KG2V]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
I generally tour downtown with the kids, so my EDC is oriented toward comfort/stamina for them. Snacks are key to keep going. Food can be expensive, and while the food areas are mostly decent there is still some low quality. I like to have a couple pieces of fresh fruit, some granola bars, maybe trail mix. You will be walking a lot. Make sure food is in a container, as if a bagged lunch, so you don't look like you are going to start snacking in the middle of the museum.

Some museums have bag check areas.

If you are coming in the summer then be prepared for heat/humidity. It is, after all, a swamp. Bandanna and appropriate clothing for that kind of weather, plus remember the chance of t-storms generally in the afternoon. I've found that the public water is fine, so I usually fill a water bottle at available fountains. If you are not comfortable doing that then buy bottled.

I do not usually carry a knife. I suppose you could get away with a SAK in your bag, but on your person would set off metal detectors. Not sure what they have the sensitivity set to.

On another note, if you like airplanes you could spend most of a day at the Air and Space. If you have opportunity to get there the Dulles annex (Udvar Hazy) is great. It is a huge hangar of static display aircraft and components. Everything from the Enola Gay to the Space Shuttle Enterprise.

#201280 - 05/02/10 03:33 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: GameOver]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Go to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and watch the changing of the guard really something to see, when the Hurricane threatened the East Coast, the Marines guarding the tomb refused to leave, all of DC was evacuated and these guys remained.
Boorah

Semper FI

Mike
USAF

#201285 - 05/02/10 05:12 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: kd7fqd]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: kd7fqd
...snip... the Marines ...snip...

US ARMY - Soldiers from the 3rd Infantry Regiment

"The Old Guard"

BTW - notice that when they are walking the post, they wear NO rank insignia, so as not to outrank the unknowns
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#201297 - 05/03/10 01:01 AM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: KG2V]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Frequent DC traveler, so I've done the summer crowd thing from time to time - I carry an umbrella everyday, regardless of forecast, having been caught in a downpour one day when I trusted Ms Weatherperson it would be a sunny day. When it rains in DC, its serious rain. If I had kids with me who can't hold their own umbrellas, I would pack some cheap 99 cent ponchos for the same contingency.

A good DC map is the laminated one that covers central DC, that folds out to an 8x10 and folds down to a third of that. Available at most tourist stops, and pretty good versions in any city before you arrive. If you are driving it can pay to have a map with the direction of traffic on the major roads, there are some one ways.

Also second the visit to Arlington, particularly if you know someone buried or remembered there. I was able to find my brother's friend who died in Nam and an uncle who died in the Pacific in the last days of WWII. Both were very sobering experiences for me, totally unexpected.

EDC for sun burn (lotion), heat (water/food), rain (umbrella etc) and blisters (bandaids etc), not for urban survival in the event of a full scale attack. Accept that you are toast if DC gets hit while your there, your rucksack will be lighter and you should be happier. If the kids get tired or lines too long, take them back to the hotel and take a nap. DC will be there tomorrow, and probably the next time to come too.

#201498 - 05/07/10 07:06 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: barbakane]
Homer_Simpson Offline

One thing to keep in mind, the National Boy Scout Jamboree is in July in VA. We will be hitting DC on July 23rd - 26th, most Boy Scout Troops in the US heading that way are planning to be in DC this weekend so you may want to plan around that weekend

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 118 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.