Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#199346 - 03/31/10 02:11 PM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: scafool]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: scafool

For most work a compass like Jzmat has would be acceptable.
A 2 degree error works out to about 92 feet over a mile.

I suppose, but consider how much the damn thing costs in Canada, it still bugs me. Going to the store over their stock again, will see if I can exchange a more accurate one.

#199348 - 03/31/10 02:25 PM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: KenK]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: KenK
Originally Posted By: scafool
Maybe if you contact Brunton they will send you a better one because it does sound like you found a bad run of them.
http://www.brunton.com/faq.php?pr=Compasses

I doubt Brunton will send a new one because it was a Suunto MC-2G.

grin

Oops, my bad. blush
I also made a misstatement on the 2 degree error. It should be for one degree.

Edited by scafool (03/31/10 04:09 PM)

#199374 - 03/31/10 08:31 PM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: scafool]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Went back to the store, they let me picked the least misaligned one from the inventory no problem, still a tiny bit off but I can live with that.

They did seem to have a batch of bad product thou, I went to another store and their stock are all perfectly fine.

Now I just have to do something about the easily scratched plastic mirror.

#199388 - 04/01/10 01:10 AM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: jzmtl]
NobodySpecial Offline

Sorry about the compass, it's always annoying when you buy a precision instrument/tool and it's off.

But 1deg constant offset doesn't really matter, it's hard to use a hand bearing at that accuracy and depending on where you live the magnetic deviation can vary by that over a very small distance.

#199393 - 04/01/10 01:31 AM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I've got a Brunton 8099 pro; its crap in my opinion. huge bubbles formed on multiple occaisons, requiring replacement. the baseplate quickly faded to unreadable, the needle stuck, the bezel so loose it turned on its own. customer service was great and they always sent me new parts. finally I just shelved the thing and go with a $10 silva from Walmart. I've got a few in different places and never been happier!

#199401 - 04/01/10 02:33 AM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: jzmtl]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Here's a pic to show what I mean. Ignore the orientation arrorw, it's set to my local declination.

Did you try grabbing the bezel to hold it firmly in place, then pinching the capsule (front to back) and turning it within the bezel to the proper orientation? Normally the capsule will spin in sync with the bezel, but that doesn't mean you can't make them turn independantly of each other using a firm grip.

#199403 - 04/01/10 02:44 AM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: haertig]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Here's a pic to show what I mean. Ignore the orientation arrorw, it's set to my local declination.

Did you try grabbing the bezel to hold it firmly in place, then pinching the capsule (front to back) and turning it within the bezel to the proper orientation? Normally the capsule will spin in sync with the bezel, but that doesn't mean you can't make them turn independantly of each other using a firm grip.

I grabbed the replacement to try, no go, it's glued in there tight.

#199414 - 04/01/10 05:37 AM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: jzmtl]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I own several compasses and still my fav is a 'real' Silva Ranger that is many many years old. I have a Brunton Eclipse, the Adventure Racing model. I like the set up as a baseplate compass and the way the Eclipse system works (circle in a circle)however as many people have stated a large bubble develops. I have researched online and have seen the gamut from automatic return for defect to it doesn't do any anything but its a visual doubt to reliability. I tend to fall into the later category.

I have always wanted a pocket compass or gentlemens compass. The old time models just visually appeal to me and I like the idea of handing something like that down to my son, like a good knife or watch. I had the chance to hold a Davey medium model and it felt like it weighed two pounds in my hand and somewhat cooled me to the idea.

But I never miss a chance to shop for compasses

#199424 - 04/01/10 01:14 PM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: comms]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
... and just to clarify, at least in the U.S., the 'real' Silva Ranger - made by Silva of Sweden - is sold by Brunton as the 15TDCL.

In the U.S. the one labeled as "Silva" is NOT made by Silva of Sweden - who made that original Ranger compass.

#199452 - 04/01/10 06:41 PM Re: Recommendation for a decent compass [Re: KenK]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Are the real Silva sold by Brunton still made in Sweden? I've read some reviews that indicate they are now made in Asia.

The American Silva is actually made by Suunto, in either India or Philippines.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.