Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#1988 - 10/18/01 02:41 PM Re: Oven bag and zip lock test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can’t comment on whether the gas-permeable bags would help or hinder the action of the iodine.. but it’s been proposed that we check the resistance of the various bag-type containers to the corrosive effects of the iodine tablets.<br><br>If nobody beats me to it, I thought I might do this sometime in the next few weeks. I thought I’d just dump some Potable Aqua tablets in each container, fill it, and let it sit in the laundry tub for a month or so, checking for failure or visible changes every so often. If nothing happens with that level and duration of exposure, they’ll probably be just fine in real use. It would be really worth knowing if one of these options fails quickly, though.<br><br>I thought I’d do this with one or two flavors of zip-lock bags, the Reynolds oven bags, maybe a condom and maybe a balloon.<br><br>I don’t know how many samples you’re expecting, or what the timing might be, but if you’re interested and it’s convenient, I’d be glad to include them- send me a private message and we can work it out. If there aren’t enough to spare, though, no big deal- just a thought.<br>

#1989 - 10/18/01 04:01 PM Re: Oven bag and zip lock test
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
It shouldn't take to long to receive the samples. Send me your snail mail address and I'll forward some to you.

#1990 - 10/18/01 05:52 PM Re: more Ziplock tests
Anonymous
Unregistered

I’m sorry to say that even the relatively-expensive, relatively-heavy military bags I bought don’t score very highly on this point.<br><br>I’ve tried rolling the tops and strapping them as tightly as I can, and they’re fine- until laid down flat, or put under pressure. When that happens, water works it’s way through the rolled-up spout and drips. Slowly, but it drips.<br><br>They do have the belt loops, and as long as they’re carried upright, with no pressure on them, they seem fine. Still, that’s one more point that the Platypus bottles have in their favor- at least the one I’ve used has never leaked- and the Platypus bottles stand upright when full. The military bags do not, making it much harder to avoid it's leaking.<br> <br>So far, the only advantages the military survival bags have is flatness and the belt loop- and easier drying, because of the larger mouth. <br>

#1991 - 10/26/01 12:31 PM Re: Oven bag and zip lock test
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, that figures…<br><br>Those who have read these threads are aware that I was favorably impressed with the Reynolds Oven Bags, which seem plenty durable, easier to fill than a condom or balloon, and pack far smaller than I thought.<br><br>In preparation for the iodine-resistance tests, I was in the local Giant yesterday evening, and there have been some changes. The former “regular” size oven bag (10” x 16”) is now labeled “small”, and there’s a new “regular” size, 16” x 20”, I think it was- much larger than needed.<br><br>More discouraging, the now “small” size was marked "on sale" with a hand-lettered label on the shelf that said “discontinued item”. <br><br>It wasn’t clear whether this meant that the manufacturer was discontinuing the item, or the store was no longer going to carry it.<br><br>In any case, if anyone here has any interest in these, I’d stock up now. They’re cheap anyway, they’re on sale now, and they may be disappearing for good.<br>

#1992 - 01/16/02 02:04 PM Do Ultrasound Probe Covers Distend/Expand?
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Hey Limey, jtbishop & anyone else who knows,<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Upgrade on the codom.<br>I use 2 Ultrasound Probe Cover made by Durex in my survival tin <br>This is simular to a heavy duty version of the standard condom and will hold more water.<br>Got them from a hospital supply company over here in the UK.<p><hr></blockquote><p>When you say these will hold more water, do you mean more than condoms do in their normal shape? Or do you mean more than condoms do when distended from forced overfilling, as if blown up like a balloon, but with water? I ask because I tested some 4oz and 8oz Playtex "Drop-Ins" ready-formed flexible disposable baby bottle liners, and, while they initially held almost as much (4oz) or more (8oz) than a condom, they would in no way expand like a condom or balloon to hold more water, making them, IMO, somewhat less useful. Before I pursue ultrasound probe cover testing on my own, I figured someone who already owned some and/or had used them might be able to save me the trouble by answering the expandability question for me.<br>Thanks!

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 565 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.