Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#199209 - 03/29/10 10:50 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: boatman]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, this goes into a pouch that also contains my sunblock and hand warmers or bug spray. So sunblock is covered.

I thought about vet wrap. I WANT vet wrap, but I can't think of a way to rewrap it that will work well. I love the stuff, I use it medical, DIY putties and for bundling long skinny parts together. Maybe I'll look at how to get it in the vest as is- I buy the blaze orange and hot pink rolls of it from TS, I've even used it for marking stakes and the like.

But it isn't absorbent. In no way shape or form would I say vet wrap is a subsitute for rolled gauze (I know a lot of people who worship Kerlix.), but to an ACE bandage.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#199220 - 03/30/10 02:22 AM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: ironraven]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Just one question about the gatorade jar.
Is it waterproof?

I guess it was when it was new, full and sealed, but I find a lot of these plastic jars don't reseal very well.

#199222 - 03/30/10 02:27 AM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: scafool]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Red electicians tape to the rescue. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#199249 - 03/30/10 02:38 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: ironraven]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Or regular ol' duck tape? It'd be ironic to use it for its original purpose! smile

#199299 - 03/31/10 01:00 AM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: Yuccahead]
JackRock Offline
Stranger

Hello everyone!

Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
Though I have never done it, I understand you can pulverize benedryl and use it on insect bites or the spot of other irritants to keep the itching down.

It definitely works. Amazing how quickly Benadryl works topically and internally. Although they tend to have a short shelf life, I like carrying these Benadryl strips in my wallet to supplement the pills in my FAK.

http://www.americarx.com/Admin/ARXPRODUCTIMAGES/BImages/Benadryl/995829.jpg

Although I'm not severely allergic to anything, I also carry an EpiPen, just in case I or someone else should suddenly "discover" a potent, unfamiliar allergen out in the middle of nowhere.

-Jack

#199428 - 04/01/10 02:15 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: JackRock]
duckear Offline
Addict

How many people depend on it, and how long to definitive medical care are the questions you need to ask BEFORE putting a FAK together.

Build your medications and supplies around that.

For example

The maximum dose of ibuprofen is 800 mg three times per day. Do you want 24 hours worth? 72 hours? For one person, or five?

That round container looks like a PITA to carry unless in a pack. In a vest? No way!

Butterfly bandages are a one trick pony, and not a good one at that. Duct tape is more versatile, and steri strips are what every ER uses. Butterfly bandages are only found in cheap FAK at Walmart these days.

Kerlix is much easier to pack than enough 4X4s. Do you know what you get when you cut off 4" of Kerlix? A gauze pad.

A nice long needle is good for picking out splinters.

Get some sliver grippers or whatever flavor is near you. Cant see your 'tweezers' well enough to know if any good.

Dedicated tick removal tool is nice to have as well.

Waaay too much immodium.

From the pic, the GI dressing you have is just a cravat, ie bandana. Easy to improvise in an emergency from clothing etc. It doesnt seem to be a pressure dressing, but I may be wrong.

No bandaids?

No tape?

Ditch the carmex.

Ditch all but one or two of the aspirin. Good for chest pain, not much else if you have ibuprofen and tylenol.

What are the prep pads for? Way overrated in most FAK IME/O.

Need more antibiotic ointment.

Gloves are bulky. Do you really need them in a small kit?

Edited by duckear (04/01/10 02:17 PM)

#199661 - 04/05/10 03:05 AM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: duckear]
duckear Offline
Addict

Also, ditch the metal box for meds.

Use an Alosak with smaller ziplocks for each med.

you can wrap meds in foil to protect from light if you like.

#199828 - 04/07/10 07:45 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: ironraven]
slipman Offline
Stranger

Slipstream first aid sells a variety of first aid kits for great prices. Kits are an essential thing that i bring with me on every hike and camping trip. www.wildernessfirstaid.ca

Edited by slipman (04/07/10 07:46 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 293 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.