#198621 - 03/22/10 12:10 AM Re: Strom whistles [Re: jzmtl]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Sharx is a Fox 40 brand whistle.

#198625 - 03/22/10 12:55 AM Re: Strom whistles [Re: Russ]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
A few months ago, someone on this site posted a link to a very thorough study on the actual effectiveness of different types of survival whistles.

I've tried to find it on this site but cannot and a Google search seems to turn up a lot of unrelated stuff. Does anyone remember where this study came from?

#198630 - 03/22/10 02:23 AM Re: Strom whistles [Re: Russ]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
Sharx is a Fox 40 brand whistle.

No I mean the fox 40 classic whistle, or whatever it's called. Local store only carry two decent whistles, the big storm whistle and fox 40 classic.

#198634 - 03/22/10 03:23 AM Re: Strom whistles [Re: jzmtl]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The Fox40s are durable and reliable. I have both the regular and mini styles. Good whistles, though I wish the pitch was lower.

The Storm is big, but holy cow is it loud. While it's bulky, there's no noticeable weight penalty. I have carried it in cargo pant pockets and it didn't bother me at all.

For some reason, my hounds seem to ignore the Fox40s but respond to Storms and those 3-chamber flat boating whistles. Why I cannot say, but I suspect it's the lower pitch.

I also have the smaller version of the Storm but can't comment since I haven't really used it.

If you can afford the space, a Storm will serve well. And there's no reason you can't have a Fox40 mini with you as well.

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/22/10 03:24 AM)

#198683 - 03/22/10 10:15 PM Re: Strom whistles [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
P.S., has anybody tried one of these? They're $5 at a local outdoor outfitter. They look robust. Double chambered with synthetic peas. Opinions?

Scotty No. 780 Lifesaver Whistle

http://www.scotty.com/boating-supplies-equipment/safety-equipment/whistles.htm

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/22/10 10:17 PM)

#199533 - 04/02/10 10:14 PM Re: Strom whistles [Re: dougwalkabout]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I have the Storm, the Fox40 Sharx and the Fox40 Sonik Blast. Note that the Sharx and the Sonik Blast are newcomers within the last year. The Storm's claim on being the loudest whistle may be outdated information.

Anyway, all three whistles are incredibly loud. I honestly can't tell which is loudest. Each left me with ringing ears, a mild headache and a pissed off dog.

I have to say though that my favorite is the Sharx. It's about half the size of the Storm. It's sleeker looking than the Sonik Blast. It has no pea. Peas have been known to freeze. I can totally see how that happens. Condensation could freeze around the pea, rendering the whistle useless.

The Storm may, or may not, freeze during freezing weather. Fortunately, I don't have to find out because I will carry my Sharx when it gets really cold. Heck, I'll carry my Sharx or Sonic Blast all the time anyway. The Storm is kind of like a big honking camera that takes great pictures but stays at home. The best camera is the one you have with you, likewise with whistles.

#199535 - 04/02/10 10:36 PM Re: Strom whistles [Re: ireckon]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

I noticed storm whistle has a very rapid oscillation in frequency, I can even feel the whistle vibrate, whereas fox 40 classic is just one higher pitched sound. Is the sharx and sonik blast similar to classic?

Oh and I always plug my ears with little fingers when I test whistles. laugh

#199638 - 04/04/10 06:13 PM Re: Strom whistles [Re: jzmtl]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The Sharx and Sonik Blast are like the older Classic, except the newer Fox40 whistles are a bit louder.

The Storm does have that oscillation and is a heck of a whistle. The oscillation in frequency is due to the pea rattling around in the chamber, thus causing slight frequency changes. What you hear may actually be oscillations of loudness. I don't know what is technically correct here. Note that any pealess whistle, like a plastic Fox40, is NOT going to have that oscillation sound.

A finer point...The Storm provides better control on loudness. I think that's due to the pea. That control may or may not be useful to you. The Fox40 kind of goes from soft to loud, with not much in between. I personally have a whistle for emergencies, NOT for dog training or normal communication or whatever. So, control is not really all that important to me.

By the way, I've developed a slight obsession with whistles over the last month. The technology and the histories of the whistle companies have fascinated me. Also, a whistle probably has the highest value/weight ratio of anything in your survival pack. An example of a probable survival situation for me is an earthquake that causes me to be trapped in a structure, like what happened recently with people in Haiti and Chile. So, now, I just wear a whistle all the time like a necklace.

Oh, I plug my ears now, but I had to experience the full loudness once for each whistle because I was curious. grin

#199641 - 04/04/10 07:37 PM Re: Strom whistles [Re: ireckon]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Heh, I've never noticed storm whistle has a pea before, went to shook it and sure enough.

Probably not a good thing in the cold thou, where the condensation from breath could freeze it in place.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.