Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#198472 - 03/19/10 10:55 PM Re: Two Pocket Survival Kit with Field Test -Pic Heavy [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Thank you for sharing your adventure.

#198473 - 03/19/10 11:12 PM Re: Two Pocket Survival Kit with Field Test -Pic Heavy [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
That lean-to is right out of the manual. I bet the bough bed was pretty comfortable.

Did it seem like the heatsheet was reflecting any of the heat from the fire down onto you?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#198475 - 03/20/10 12:31 AM Re: Two Pocket Survival Kit with Field Test -Pic Heavy [Re: thseng]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the pics, Mike. I needed that. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

#198481 - 03/20/10 01:56 AM Re: Two Pocket Survival Kit with Field Test -Pic Heavy [Re: hikermor]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: hikermor
What sort of batteries do you install in that headlamp? I understand Petzls will only accommodate alkalines and cannot accept lithium batteries, which is the only type battery I would install in a light that would see (hopefully) intermittent use.

I use Energizer Ultra Lithium batteries in my Zipka Plus 2 and have not had any issues, and I've run that thing on high for hours.

The Zipka has the same head as the Tikka Plus 2 but with a retractable cord instead of an elastic headband. It takes a lot less space in my kit and is acceptably secure and comfortable, even for extended use.

#198492 - 03/20/10 04:14 AM Re: Two Pocket Survival Kit with Field Test -Pic Heavy [Re: Mark_M]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Originally Posted By: hikermor
What sort of batteries do you install in that headlamp? I understand Petzls will only accommodate alkalines and cannot accept lithium batteries, which is the only type battery I would install in a light that would see (hopefully) intermittent use.

I use Energizer Ultra Lithium batteries in my Zipka Plus 2 and have not had any issues, and I've run that thing on high for hours.

The Zipka has the same head as the Tikka Plus 2 but with a retractable cord instead of an elastic headband. It takes a lot less space in my kit and is acceptably secure and comfortable, even for extended use.

Those are awesome!

We have one in each coat, vehicle, and a couple in the house.. so handy!

#198500 - 03/20/10 06:50 AM Re: Two Pocket Survival Kit with Field Test -Pic Heavy [Re: SwampDonkey]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Concerning Waterproof/Windproof Safety Matches
Since then I found UCO Long (2.75") Waterproof/Windproof Safety Matches at the Toronto Mountain Equipment Coop store (they are not on the website, probably due to shipping concerns). These seem like terrific matches and state that they will even burn underwater? I paid around $4.00 for 2 boxes of 25 each. Even the packaging is good with plastic wrapping on the inside of the boxes and extra plastic wrapped striker strips included. These matches can be seen here on the UCO website. I have not done much testing of these matches other that putting them in glass of water for a few minutes, they then had no problem lighting up on the first strike.

I agree that waterproof strike-anywhere matches are better for use in the field, but I sometimes travel by small aircraft where strike anywhere matches are prohibited.

Mike
These are like Rei stormproof matches seen Here .

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#198550 - 03/20/10 11:19 PM Re: Two Pocket Survival Kit with Field Test -Pic Heavy [Re: thseng]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply, I am out of town visiting my wife's family.

The bough bed was quite comfortable and insulated me from the snowy, frozen ground. It was time consuming to build but was worth it.

The UCO and REI Matches look the same, evening the packaging. If I remember correctly the UCO Matches have "Made in India" on the box.

I found the "Glow-in-the-Dark" nylon Mason Line at the local Canadian Tire store, in the rope section. I think it comes in 250' rolls, there is a similar type that is neon green that looks almost the same, you have to check the label. The cord does not glow brightly, but is easier to see by flashlight. The cord is very slippery so I found I had to do my knots correctly or they would not hold; I used the, Constrictor Knot, Fisherman Knot, Square Lashing and Round Turn/Half Hitches. This cord is much thinner, compact and cheaper than paracord but in not as strong or versatile.

I had a few methods of fire starting with me in the PSK: 2 butane lighters (Mini-BIC and Jet Type), waterproof matches in 2 locations, Sparklite, paper matchbook in plastic, and if things got really tough, a plastic fresel lens and string for a bow drill.

The Heatsheet Blanket did reflect considerable heat into the shelter, more than the All-weather Blanket I used in my Spring/Fall Scenerio . The Heatsheet was tougher than I thought it would be and embers just burn a small hole in it. The fire got very hot when it flared-up and I was concerned the blanket would melt but it stayed cool. I could have reused the blanket but would never have been able to fold it to the original size, I compressed it to about the size of a football.

I should have built a reflector behind the fire but the ground was frozen or rocky, hard to drive a stake into. Next time I will rig something up.

More info to follow once I get back home, and I will post some more pictures from around the camp.

Later,

Mike

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.