The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197791 - 03/12/10 12:37 AM Mora Clipper 860 knife
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I picked up a new Mora Clipper 860 today. I have owned a few Mora's over the years and when I seen this knife for a decent price, I could not pass on it.

As with most Mora knives, the plastic sheath is standard and while the knife snaps in snugly to the sheath, I will feel a bit more comfortable when I replace the sheath with one which I will be making this weekend.

I like the knurled rubber grip pattern on the knife and this will help in keeping the knife from slipping in the hands during wet conditions.

Typical good quality that we have come to expect from Mora. These knives have to be one of the best investments you can make for under $20.00

This knife will be going into my dual purpose urban/wilderness EDC. Once pushed down into the kit bag, it fits perfectly and allows the zipper free movement with no catching or binding.

John Lubbock

#197793 - 03/12/10 12:53 AM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
It looks like a really good knife for the money. I don't have that exact knife, but my experience with Mora is all good. The sheath is form-fitting and weightless, not so bad if you're stuffing the knife into your kit. Not that it's any of my business, but it looks like the tweezers is missing from your SAK. You can buy them cheap here: http://www.bladematrix.tv/index.asp

no affiliation

#197795 - 03/12/10 01:24 AM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Kukulkan Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles
Based on your description, it appears that you intend to carry the knife inside the kit bag in urban and wilderness areas. I do not know in which state you reside, but you may wish to confirm that you will not be violating any concealed carry laws by carrying in this manner. For example, California Penal Code section 12020(a)(4) prohibits the concealed carry of a dirk or dagger on the person. A fixed blade knife would be considered a dirk or dagger. Mind you, in California it is perfectly legal to openly carry a dirk or dagger suspended from your belt and a folder is not considered a dirk or dagger.

And yeah, I just bought two Moras (511s) for emergency kit use, and I agree they are a phenomenal value for the money.

#197796 - 03/12/10 01:27 AM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Kukulkan]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I like em too!

#197811 - 03/12/10 03:54 AM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Kukulkan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The bag is Mountain Co-Op. They are a Canadian chain, similiar to EMS or REI. You never find their gear south of the border. Except in core urban areas, I'd think Canadian laws are about like Vermont laws- "did you stick anyone with it? Did you plan on sticking anyone with it? Don't go in an airport, school or court house with it, ok?"

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#197836 - 03/12/10 01:19 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: ironraven]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Ironraven is on target by all accounts. Mec brand is very popular here and no Leo gives it a second look. Besides, the EDC bag is stored in a larger backpack which contains everyday work items such as a laptop, camera, sweater etc. As for the knife being concealed, it is all about common sense. Don't carry it where it should not be carried...in these circumstances, the trunk of the car is perfectly fine.

John Lubbock

#197846 - 03/12/10 03:42 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Teslinhiker]
Kona1 Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest, USA
Have been meaning to put my order in at Ragweed Forge, thanks for the prod.

#197852 - 03/12/10 04:59 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: Kukulkan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Kukulkan
Based on your description, it appears that you intend to carry the knife inside the kit bag in urban and wilderness areas. I do not know in which state you reside, but you may wish to confirm that you will not be violating any concealed carry laws by carrying in this manner. For example, California Penal Code section 12020(a)(4) prohibits the concealed carry of a dirk or dagger on the person. A fixed blade knife would be considered a dirk or dagger. Mind you, in California it is perfectly legal to openly carry a dirk or dagger suspended from your belt and a folder is not considered a dirk or dagger.

Sound advice, but I believe dirks/daggers are double edged. Which Mora's certainly aren't. I think there's also a CA law that prohibits concealed knives though over 4" (or maybe that was just folders).

#197854 - 03/12/10 05:07 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: MDinana]
NobodySpecial Offline

Mec is a Candian version of REI
The bag is known as the 'Vancouver handbag' mec shoudler bag

That and the soft briefcase are so common north of the border that Canadian airports now accept them as proof of residency - if you are wearing goretex and carrying one of these you can bypass the passport check.

Most of canada is pretty sensible, wearing hiking gear and heading into the woods with one of these is fine. Although I probably wouldn't EDC one in my briefcase.

Edited by NobodySpecial (03/12/10 05:08 PM)

#197857 - 03/12/10 05:24 PM Re: Mora Clipper 860 knife [Re: MDinana]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Sound advice, but I believe dirks/daggers are double edged. Which Mora's certainly aren't. I think there's also a CA law that prohibits concealed knives though over 4" (or maybe that was just folders).

CA knife law considers any fixed blade a "dirk or dagger", regardless of edges. Open carry (in a sheath) is fine, concealed carry is prohibited.

There is no limit on length for a folding knife in CA law for "concealed" (ie, in a pocket) carry, provided it is not "self-opening" (a complex subject that boils down to "is it a switchblade?").

There are length limits for schools and universities/colleges.

Courthouses, afaik, still prohibit all knives, regardless of blade length.

A few SoCal cities also have local limitations on blade length. LA, for example, has a 3" limit.

(I'm not a lawyer, this is just a very relevant subject for me. smile )

So, if you come to California, a fixed blade in a bag is a felony.

Edited by Compugeek (03/12/10 05:25 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (gcarlson), 254 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.