Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#198307 - 03/18/10 12:43 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: ProactiveOne]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Here's my training calendar for the balance of 2010:

First Responder (I'll work on my EMT-B on the side, I don't know If I can get it done unless I can take a day a week off from work for a month or so)

Advanced Auto Extrication (Refresher, even though I don't think I need it, I'm taking it again, there's so many hybrids on the road here now)

NIMS something-or-other (700? 1100? Pi? they have so many, I need one more up from where I am)

Emergency Vehicle Operations (re-certify)

Air Medical Evacuation Landing Zone Crew (refresher)

...and a scattered collection of stuff related to my position as Emergency Management Coordinator for the township.

#198316 - 03/18/10 02:56 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: MartinFocazio]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Well I have been researching old 4x4s to buy and fix up as bug out vehicles. Something with only power steering and brakes, at most. But that is just window shopping.

Read a lot on mental preparation and survival situations.

Stockpiling an ever increasing amount of 'beans', bullets and bucks.

Always upgrading and maintaining wilderness/hiking equipment.

Based on some endurance events I have coming up in April and May, this Monday I start the 5 week Special Forces Assessment and Selection training program. Just for fun. It's pretty basic for what I already do but incorporates a lot of forced marches with a ruck sack from 35-50 pounds and going 3-18 miles under time.

Fun!

#198334 - 03/18/10 06:40 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Lono]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Lono: My deepest sympathy for what you and your wife are going through. It is a great reminder to us all to make the most out of the available time.

I like Laurence Gonzales ("Deep Survival" - a great book) take on this: Survival training is _*life training*_. You prepare for survival by living your life the way it is meant to be lived (or at least trying to).

On specific survival topics:
- Physical exercise. Any kind. I'm not as fit as I want too. Not really unfit, but still room for improvement.

- Knife sharpening, which has become quite a hobby of mine lately. Not good at it yet, but this is a life long learning curve.

- Comfortable living outdoors. Anything from grilling some sausages with the kids over a fire to spending more nights outside. I'm taking advantage of a "work easter" - the family is sent to my mother-in-law, I will be working - and head for the bush in the evening for an evening and night outside. I'm really looking forward to that...

#198335 - 03/18/10 06:53 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Lono]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
I lost my girlfriend to Astrocitoma 5 years ago, so I know what you are going through. In our case at least, there was no pain involved. Hang tough and may God give you strength.

#198336 - 03/18/10 07:15 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Lono]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Lono

- Most of my waking hours are taken up with my wife, who is battling an inoperable and incurable brain tumor, she starts radiation and chemo therapy today. Nothing ever equipped me for this fight, except maybe my undying love for her. Survival has to be counted in months and maybe years, there is no rosy end of the scenario where we come walking out of the woods to safety.

Sounds like you have your priorities straight. You'll do what you have to in this test of character.

My wife has Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer on top of having been disabled with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for the last 24 years. Had the massive surgery 6 months ago, now looking into radiation-wack-a-mole for the remaining tumors.

Take care of your wife by also taking care of yourself. Proper exercise, some mental health breaks and appropriate nutrition are important to handle the marathon of caregiving.

I'm learning about footwear and laces and (darn it!) blisters. Trying to get out and hike as often as I can, exercising during the week to enable the hiking. And the hiking clears and enables my mind.

Near as I can tell nobody gets out alive. And nearly everybody suffers along the way one way or another. But keep working the problem - whatever it is.

#198448 - 03/19/10 02:58 PM Re: So what are you training in? [Re: Lono]
ProactiveOne Offline
Stranger

Lono: I wish your wife a quick and full recovery. Don't lose hope! If I may humbly suggest something, go to your local Borders and look for a book called "Let Every Breath" written by my Systema Teacher Vladimir Vasiliev. I know that our other teacher Mikhail Ryabko has actually cured people through breathing therapies when everything else failed. I have recommended this to other friends going through similar tough times and it helped them a lot.

You can actually get it online too: http://www.LetEveryBreath.com

And for those of you visiting Miami... check out http://www.SystemaMiami.com

Best wishes!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 639 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.