Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#198168 - 03/16/10 11:05 PM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
There's 291 days left to the year, that means I only have to drop 0.13 lbs a day

That would of course be 0.13 lbs of pure fat per day. 0.13 lbs of subcutaneous fat equates to approximately 520 calories of food or in a balanced diet would equal around 3 times 0.13 lbs or more than a 1/3 of a pound of actual food. This would equate to 4-5 slices of bread or a rather large bowl of porridge.

520 calories also equates to around 1 hr of moderate exercise in terms of calories expended.

To lose the weight I would firstly take a weekly diary of exactly what you are eating and spreadsheet it into days versus meals versus calories consumed. An analysis will give you some surprising results. i.e. alcohol consumption will most likely be a major offending entry in the spreadsheet.

If your current lifestyle has mean't that you have gained 40lbs in the last year then the difference in cutting out those additional calories could well be 1000 calories or nearly 2/3 of lb of food per day or to put it another way 1 hrs of moderate exercise per day combined with 1/3 lb less food per day (actual weight of food in a balanced diet).

1000 calories per day difference reduction to the current intake could be very tough and sap the willpower. The only way I can think of to achieve this difference would be to cycle 20-40 miles per day and become a vegetarian or Lacto-ovo vegetarian as keeping up a demanding diet for 9 months will most likely end in failure.

BTW you will never achieve the linear reduction in weight loss, you make have to rethink the line shape in your on-line spreadsheet.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/17/10 02:15 AM)

#198189 - 03/17/10 01:35 AM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: GarlyDog]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
So if you fail you donate nothing?

How about committing to $1,000 donation if you stay the same. Then deduct a prorata amount for every pound you lose to get you to the $200 donation that you would prefer to make by Jan 1.

I don't know that I would make it too self-executing. Lest martinfocazio find himself chained to a radiator in a dark basement with nothing to satisfy his hunger but a canteen full of tepid water.

#198196 - 03/17/10 02:19 AM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck

LOL ...Keller Double Stuffing Marshmallow Fudge Sludgers laugh

You could sell quite a few of those over here in Scotland.

#198219 - 03/17/10 11:28 AM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

1000 calories per day difference reduction to the current intake could be very tough and sap the willpower. The only way I can think of to achieve this difference would be to cycle 20-40 miles per day and become a vegetarian or Lacto-ovo vegetarian as keeping up a demanding diet for 9 months will most likely end in failure.

BTW you will never achieve the linear reduction in weight loss, you make have to rethink the line shape in your on-line spreadsheet.

Thanks for the correct advice, I don't expect to follow a linear curve. The 40 lbs took more than two years to put on, and I know that my linear curve is highly improbable.

However, as far as the 1,000 calories a day reduction in intake? That's not only possible, I found 1,000 calories to drop just because in New York, the law requires sellers of most food to post their calorie count. So, I took a look at my outrageous snacking habit:

Post-Commute Snack: A Jalepeno Cheese Bagel (420 Calories)
Office Snack: Cookies (300-500 Calories), Occasional can of soda (200-300 Calories)
Pre-Commute Snack: Box of Candy (200-300 Calories)
After Dinner Snack: Chips and Salsa (400-500 Calories)

Not to mention that in my office, we have unlimited free soda, candy and other snacks, as well as regular birthday cakes and people bring in home-baked banana bread, muffins and cookies all the time.

Fortunately, I really like string beans and baby cut carrots, as much as I like chips and salsa, so my snacking habit is satiated with that.

I don't expect a linear decline at all (I'm well aware that it's going to be a curve with flat spots, bumps and dips) but I also know that I need the overall path to generally conform to a downward trend. I do a lot of statistical analysis at work, and I've looked at other folks who have trended their own weight-loss and the success cases all have a similar shape, a steep drop, then a level off, increase in muscle mass and then a gradual taper to target.

The logging the food thing - I used a product called "Event Tracker" for the iPod Touch - it really works. I know calorie counting is not in fashion but for me that's working. I like the empirical nature of calories.

#198227 - 03/17/10 01:15 PM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: MartinFocazio]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Martin:

In an environment with cakes, muffins, etc., you don't have to completely forgo them, depending on your willpower.

Have a THIN slice of cake or banana bread, for example, or ONE cookie.

I don't know about for the iPod, but when I actually lost weight, the tracking program I used on my Palm had a HUGE database of food calories, including most of the major fast food chains. It was very helpful to just look up the food and enter it in a couple of clicks.

Good will!

(I won't say "good luck", because luck has nothing to do with it. smile )

Edited by Compugeek (03/17/10 01:16 PM)

#198229 - 03/17/10 01:18 PM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: Compugeek]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Personally, I find that stress does wonders for weight loss. This probably explains the gain since leaving the fire company.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#198230 - 03/17/10 01:54 PM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: thseng]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Martin, just something that came to mind that you might want to consider is a larger number of meals but with SMALLER portions that add up to the same number of calories. I seem to recall that the idea behind this is that by having less time between meals reduced hunger levels which means your less inclined to want too snack.

#198249 - 03/17/10 07:13 PM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: MartinFocazio]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I saw one documentary from BBC about latest scientific facts regarding losing weight - it was called "10 things you need to know about losing weight". Quite interesting (I already knew some things but some were new for me). It can be found on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVSDHwA6nFw .

#198410 - 03/19/10 04:57 AM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

#198419 - 03/19/10 09:14 AM Re: For every 5 lbs I drop, I'll donate $20 to ETS [Re: Art_in_FL]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Ah, nice to see it put so clearly:

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

http://scienceblogs.com/obesitypanacea/2010/03/body_mass_index_bmi_as_a_measu.php

However, as we have argued most recently in a paper in the Canadian Journal of Cardiology, several lines of evidence suggest that weight loss or changes in BMI are not absolutely necessary to observe substantial health benefit from a healthy lifestyle. Thus, an apparent resistance to weight-loss should never be a reason for stopping your healthy behaviours.

... In fact, significant reductions in fat mass often occur concurrent with equal increases in muscle mass in response to physical activity - equal but opposite (and beneficial!) changes which are not detected by alterations in body weight on the bathroom scale, and thus BMI.

In short: MOVE MORE! And... eat less. And adjust your intake away from sugar and junk food towards quality stuff.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 596 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.