Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#198107 - 03/16/10 02:59 AM Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!!
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
First off, It is a bit heavy, but for the quality and the big MADE IN USA, its worth it!

I Like the Leather sheath, Although more bulky than nylon, it is alot tougher! It was on sale at lowes for $50!! originally $60!!

Its Got Plenty of tools, PDF File of the tools.

On first hand, the saw is RAZOR sharp!!! I never seen a saw so sharp!!

The Opening motion is so fluid! another thing you can do with this is you can seperate something with the outer portion of the pliers. I have needed to do this once! only once!

The Handle covers are annoying at first, You can remove them, I tried and it hurt my hands to use, so I replaced them and Kept them on. Atleast with the compound leverage it doesnt take as much force to cut wire.

I noticed the ruler is not listed on the tools, I think it could be useful. The Pliers are GREAT!! They are tapered at the tip and they do not dent very eaisly at all! The wire cutters are as tough as you could imagine! 3/16" Inch steel wire, Cut in 2 seconds! Good cutters!

I have not ordered a replacement knife blade so I am not going to abuse it....yet!! I was overly surprised with the sharpness of the blade! SHARP!!! should explain it! I do not like the "knick" they use for the blade, it would be better if it was a thumb stud!

The standard screwdriver is well...standard! It closely resembles the screwdriver/can opener on a victorinox tinker!

The 1/4" socket driver is pretty nifty! The spring thingy fell off the first time I used it. I found it but I dont trust it and it doesnt do any good if it falls off!

The V-Cutter is Amazing! I cut up alot!!! I havent tried to cut a seatbelt because, I dont have a junk seat belt to cut!!

I dont have much to do with the crimpers but it seems like a good addition, they help lock the PowerLock closed.

The Awl is Spear sharp! Could use a sewing hole though, helps with repairs!

The other Standard screwdriver is BLAND!!! its just a flat piece of metal that is ground at the end, could have used the room for something more!Same with the #1 Philips screwdriver is standard as well, havent used it yet!

The can opener also looks like the victorinox can opener! The small Standard driver is a little more noticible!

There is a file that as 3 files on it, doesnt feel very sharp but it works for de-burring!

The locks workwell and i have never had the blades close on me!

Any questions, Comments, Suggestions or anything I missed?

Enjoy

Edited by sybert777 (03/16/10 11:18 AM)

#198110 - 03/16/10 03:13 AM Re: Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!! [Re: sybert777]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Too many !!! and random capitalization of words. Also with no paragraph breaks, the review is a bit difficult to read.

Other then these minor quibbles, it is always nice to see a review of any type of gear.

Thanks for your review.

John Lubbock

#198117 - 03/16/10 10:46 AM Re: Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!! [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Thank you for the review. Including the PDF file was helpful too, as I wasn't sure what the tool looked like before I opened the file. A lot of gear looks good in the package, so it's really nice to hear from a member who actually tries and rates a piece of equipment. It looks like you made a good solid multi-tool purchase, and got it on sale too.

#198118 - 03/16/10 11:22 AM Re: Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

I edited it, it should be easier to read but, I might have put too many breaks.

I do have a Capitalization Problem! Comes naturally, I do it when writing! LOL

#198142 - 03/16/10 07:31 PM Re: Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!! [Re: ]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

I did not know this!! Thanks for the heads up! I will check this over, I dont think you said anything unfair!

#198150 - 03/16/10 08:17 PM Re: Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!! [Re: sybert777]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: sybert777
I edited it, it should be easier to read but, I might have put too many breaks.

I do have a Capitalization Problem! Comes naturally, I do it when writing! LOL

LOL! It's not a capitalization problem, it's a "shift" key problem!! laugh
Yeah, I'm a card-carrying member of the grammar police.

A pretty good review. I think you're a bit harsh on the screwdriver, cuz all of them are basically just a flat piece of metal, but certainly nothing untrue in what you said. Nice though that you hit most of the tools (and later threw the PDF in)

Thanks Izzy for pointing out the Made in Mexico tidbit. Yowza! Glad I have a LM in my EDC and camping gear, and a real SOG in my truck.

#198154 - 03/16/10 08:32 PM Re: Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!! [Re: MDinana]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Made in Mexico.. SOG just lost some points with me!

#198165 - 03/16/10 11:00 PM Re: Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!! [Re: sybert777]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Thanks for the review. I don't have a multitool yet (I have SAK) but when I eventually get one it will be probably something from SOG. Because of the fact that you can customize it. The tools can be rearranged an/or replaced with something else ( http://sogknives.com/store/components.html ). I don't know of any other multitool manufacturer that offers this feature.

#198199 - 03/17/10 03:05 AM Re: Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!! [Re: raptor]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Another thing i forgot to mention, The pliers have a Small gap! .005" te thickness of a human hair, but the only multitool i have seen with virtually no gap is the Gerber Suspension! I looked up the made in mexico thing and I cannot find anything to back it up, I will call SOG and get more info because the packaging said "made in USA" no.."of imported parts or components" Hmmm...Things that make you go hmm!

#198207 - 03/17/10 04:57 AM Re: Just bought a SOG PowerLock. review!!! [Re: sybert777]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: sybert777
Another thing i forgot to mention, The pliers have a Small gap! .005" te thickness of a human hair, ...

So?

Its a multi-tool. Why would such a small gap make a difference?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 271 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.