The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#198028 - 03/15/10 12:29 AM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: Lqdtrance]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I think a 4" Mora is a little large for kids that age. I got my similar-aged sons 2" Kershaw lockblades - $10 from Stuff-Mart. That size seems about right for them.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#198030 - 03/15/10 01:01 AM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: thseng]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Swiss army knife, one of the mid-sized one like a Tinker. Or a classic folder like a Case Stockman. Nothing too expensive because odds are they break, destroy or lose one or two. It is to be expected so don't freak out when they do. Have them buy the second out of their allowance or in return for chores. It's a knife, and expendable, no matter how special a symbol you want it to be to them, it isn't the Holy Grail.

Show them how to work with it, supervise a couple of times, and show them how to sharpen their knife on a simple carborundum stone with spit. Boys love the spit part. Also how to wash out the inevitable cuts with soap and water and apply a bandaid. Again, don't freak out. Cutting yourself is a normal part of learning to uses a knife.

Cuts will heal faster with a sharp blade and are less likely if the kid isn't trying to force a dull blade to work.

Simple, inexpensive pocket knife, supervise the first couple of uses, teach sharpening with a stone, and how to deal with cuts.

#198049 - 03/15/10 11:51 AM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: Lqdtrance]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Originally Posted By: Lqdtrance
What is the difference between Victorionox and Wenger SAK's? Any recommendation between the 2?

I did a topic on this and from what I gathered, there are minimal differences! Link to my topic!

#198056 - 03/15/10 01:39 PM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: sybert777]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

I'd suggest teaching fixed blade skills first, and then Moras are the way to go, imho.

For a folder I'd go cheap, locking and for me, not one hand opening (I wouldn't want my son (7) trying to open something that involves a blade and a spring with one hand when he isn't strong / dextrous / sensible enough - to much chance of slippage)

Just my $0.02

#198057 - 03/15/10 02:21 PM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: bigreddog]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I too stick with fixed blades.

This so-called "scouting knife" has long traditions around here. http://www.helle.no/Default.aspx?tabid=4947&language=en-US

The plus side:
- Reasonable good steel with good reputation.
- Comfortable handle
- Finger guard
- Good control
- OK Sharpness out of the box
- OK price

The negative: I don't like the sheat.
- Too easy to loose the knife: If the button is undone or not properly "clicked in", the knife will topple over and drop out of the sheat (top heavy due to the thick handle).

- Too easy to insert the wrong way. In my scouting days, I cut through the seam holding the knife together when I inserted this the wrong way. The rivets will help prevent this, a redesign that was highly needed.

My wife bought this for our son for his 5th birthday, and as I had no other good alternatives immediately nearby I went with it. The good (good handle, sharp, good quality) outweights the bad assuming proper parental guidance, at least for now. On his birthday, he actually had to do 2 stitches due to a momentary glimpse in parental guidance, but that is another story.

#198059 - 03/15/10 02:38 PM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Mostly--that must be the knife in the Ragweed Forge catalog,he describes it as having a Girl or Boy Scout imprinted on the sheath.
he also said removing the guard was a rite of passage,know anything about that?..good link to the knife site,i'll go back and look at that in detail.

#198060 - 03/15/10 02:40 PM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: Lqdtrance]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I like this opinel.

locking blade but is less hazardous to close.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/categories.asp?cat=Opinel+%22Scout%22

#198073 - 03/15/10 06:28 PM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Mostly--that must be the knife in the Ragweed Forge catalog,he describes it as having a Girl or Boy Scout imprinted on the sheath.

Yup, same thing - Helle is the brand (factory), and "speiderkniven" (scout knife) is the type.

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
he also said removing the guard was a rite of passage,know anything about that?

I have never heard about THAT before - but it is certainly a grand idea! I'll remember that one when my kids grow older smile

Most likely, the knife will be lost long before that anyway. Happened to mine - the button closure thing is a lousy patent. I'll see if I can work out something better with a rubber band or something.

About the sheet: They have been modified. Now there are more rivets and a plastic insert. This minimizes the danger of what happened when I inserted the knife backwards into the sheat: It cut through the seam and bit me in the thigh when I sat down. I got just a little pink prick, but I still remember the horrid realization when I understood how bad I could have been cut - easily. Luckily, I don't see how that could happen with the new version of the sheat. smile

#198075 - 03/15/10 06:37 PM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
to just open this up a bit more, look at the GI Issue pocket knife, with the blade, can opener, awl, screwdriver. Great beginner multi-tool. large enough to not get lost, inoffensive enough to pass muster with non-knife folks.

#198087 - 03/15/10 09:13 PM Re: Kids Knife? [Re: comms]
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
I got my son started out on a fixed blade...butter knife to cut up his waffles at breakfast, and to make his own PB&J sandwiches. This way he gets practice using a knife several times a week. Then after he had been using a butter knife for a while we let him start using a steak knife at dinner time. This way he can practice his knife skills at home in a controlled setting, and he gets practice almost daily.

-Robert

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.