Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#198048 - 03/15/10 11:46 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Mark_M]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Don't bother.
... and a Swiss Army knife (with saw)

Just out of curiosity, how would the saw be useful? If push came to shove, anything I could cut with that saw I could break with my hands, across a knee, or in the crook of a tree. Or I could chop or baton it with my knife.

I always have a Leatherman tool with me, and most models I carry come with a saw. A few of the SAK's I own also have a saw. I think the only thing I've used it for is cutting off a branch to use to roast hot dogs and marshmallows. Unfortunately, I don't carry either hot dogs or marshmallows in my survival kit. smile

Have you ever tried to break an inch wide GREEN branch for a trap or fishing? I have broken the wood but never the stringy inner bark, It is NEARLY impossible (for me) to break but sawing through it is ALOT easier!! You can cut it but it is less work to saw through. just a thought!

#198051 - 03/15/10 12:04 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: sybert777]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have a folding pruning saw that cuts through limbs a lot easier than trying to chop through them with any ax or knife.

The saws on multi-tools seem too small to be used this way on any but the smallest limbs.

I don't think this type of saw is worth much trying to saw any substantial size chunk of wood, but for more delicate work I see a lot of videos where people are using them for other things.

But as I have never owned a MT with a saw blade I have no experience trying it.

Bob

#198052 - 03/15/10 12:13 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: ILBob]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I have a folding pruning saw that cuts through limbs a lot easier than trying to chop through them with any ax or knife.

The saws on multi-tools seem too small to be used this way on any but the smallest limbs.

I agree and as I posted yesterday, I also use a folding garden saw similar to this one. The saw is lightweight and can do much more cutting in a lot less time and lot less effort then any SAK blade.

John Lubbock

#198054 - 03/15/10 01:12 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Please note the difference between "useful" and "essential" smile

A saw this size is somewhat useful up to say, 2". Make a notch, break it.

A saw is very good for precise cuts.

I consider the saws at leatherman multitools very useful. I have very limited experience with SAK saws. They look the same, perhaps a tad smaller, but they may not be the same quality as LM saws. If I don't have a reliable fixed blade knife I would much rather saw halfway through and break it than risking my folder batoning a notch. If all I had was a SAK - I would very much want that SAK to have a saw.

Another way of putting this: There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Well put. I consider the saw on my MT to be second only to my knife in usefulness and by far the most used tool in my MT in the woods. Bigger is better, but the small saws on MTs and SAKs can be effectively used to assist in cutting fairly large diameter trees, logs, etc.

The Leatherman MT saws and those found on Wenger and Victorinox SAKs are virtually identical in design and performance. Leatherman essentially copied what the Swiss had already perfected, so to speak. All work very well on both dry and green woods. I don't leave home without one.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Bingley), 519 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.