The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197934 - 03/13/10 06:34 PM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: ironraven]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Not exactly EDC but I usually have a liter bottle of water near me. It used to be a bottled water container. I am too cheap to buy one, so I have kept a few liter containers for such use.

I don't see any real benefit to spending money when something that is free will serve the purpose just as well.

I have been using the same 4 one liter bottles for several years now, and they show no signs of needing replacement.

Three of them have frozen iced tea in them and one has frozen water. The water bottle and two bottles of tea go in my lunch bag every day.

Bob

#197939 - 03/13/10 07:38 PM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: ILBob]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Wide mouth Nalgene bottle for me, Got it from my friend as a birthday present, just afraid that if i drop it while its full itr might crack or break. Anyone dropped a nalgene yet?

#197941 - 03/13/10 08:23 PM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I EDC water when I'm travelling.

1) 1-5 1 ltr water bottles
2) 5oz pocket flask

#197942 - 03/13/10 09:13 PM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: wildman800]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I always carry water in my SUV. I'm retired and it's garaged so no worries about freezing. I keep a case of bottled water in a plastic container for emergency use or if I forget water. For daily use I keep several plastic nalgenes and stainless bottles in the rig for me and my dogs, who are usually with me.

For hiking, the dogs are always with me and we carry three of the stainless bottles with neopreme sleeves. I have a dog backpack with a built in bladder but the thing just covers up too much of the dog in the warm weather. Looking for smaller dog packs for warmer weather. My hiking is usually within a mile of my rig or house.

I try to buy brands that are dishwasher safe. Run them through at least weekly in the winter and more often in warm weather.

#197951 - 03/13/10 11:44 PM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: sybert777]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
When we say "dropped", do we mean tossed it down an 800 foot embankment to bounce off rocks and eventually splat onto the road below, only to be hit by a logging truck? No, can't say's I have. Not much would survive that.

Dropped 30 feet? Sure.
Seen them get run over by a car and pushed into the sand? Yep.
Found them on the side of the road, with lots of scratches which suggest it was run over on blacktop? Yes- my mother uses that bottle.

Dropped, tossed, and had go flying into the glove compartment because they were on the passenger seat? Several times today. Froze them, boiled them, even kicked them. The old ones hold up. The HDPE ones might not take the place kicker test; the Triton one didn't.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#197960 - 03/14/10 02:48 AM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: ironraven]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
I EDC a Ruff Hewn Aluminum Hydration Flask. I received it this past Christmas. I love it so far, it fits perfectly in my bag. Link to where i found a pic of it.

Attachments
flask.jpg

I have an extra.

#197975 - 03/14/10 06:26 AM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I EDC two 0.75L Camelbak Better Bottles. I rinse and refill them with filtered water every day. Once a week I disassemble and run through the dishwasher then allow to air dry.

I like that I don't have to pull, twist or unscrew anything to take a sip, particularly when driving. I leave the drinking nipple flipped-up on whichever one I'm using until its empty. And the inner child in me is comforted by suckling at the silicone nipple.blush

I used to EDC a 1L Nalgene, but the pockets on my EDC bag won't hold that large a bottle. My only complaint is I haven't found a nesting cup designed to fit the smaller diameter of the .75L Camelbak bottles.

I'm thinking of switching my EDC bag from my Northface Surge daypack to a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. If so, I'll go back to a 1L Nalgene but will probably put the cap from the Camelbak Better Bottle on just for the nipple.

#198020 - 03/14/10 11:01 PM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: Mark_M]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
It varies.
Thermos brand thermos.
Widemouth white nalgene.
Recycled pop bottles. (cheap, replaceable and reasonably tough.

I have found dairies here selling milk in exceptionally tough plastic bottles.
Here is a link showing a picture.
http://www.saputo.ca/dreamsv2/Product.aspx?id=4
They come in half liter size which is about a pint,
They work very well too.

Edited by scafool (03/14/10 11:04 PM)

#198068 - 03/15/10 05:10 PM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: TeacherRO]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I don't EDC water in the UK. When I need to I put a 0.5l supermarket bottled water on a length of parachord with a constrictor knot. I also have platypus 0.5 and 0.3l bottles which can be a more convenient shape when full, and go flat when empty.

#198078 - 03/15/10 06:59 PM Re: EDC Water bottle? [Re: Brangdon]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Are you kidding me? EDC a water bottle? C'mon. Of course. I use 1L Nalgene bottle with a variety of lids and tops, summer is mostly wide tops for adding ice.

There is a photo of the Nalgene Flask on the first page. My son uses it. As I used it, the external cup was really good for the hip pouch of my pack. When it was seated hard in the pouch, I could pull the flask out and the external acted as a holster so I wouldn't have to wedge it back in.

The double cap on top served two purpose. Internal is a cap for the flask. The larger blue cap you see in the picture unscrews and acts as a 1 oz shot glass.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.