Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197899 - 03/13/10 01:24 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Topaz]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: Topaz
I really didn't mean this thread to become a flaming one, I just wanted to discuss the kits he has designed. Though making one's own survival kit by scratch is always said to be best, I still like to check out the commercial kits and buy a few. I do have the AMK PSP and love it, but the Necklace kit was given a "Good" rating in Doug Ritters review.

Actually the necklace is not a bad idea. Anyway he is obviously a big boy, big enough to treat others with copious amounts of disdain, so I guess he can handle it.

#197909 - 03/13/10 05:47 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Topaz]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've never seen one, but I've seen parts.

Meh. The whistle I know is good, and the compass looks OK. The plan for the saw is silly, IMHO, especially when I seem to recall the tube was promoted as a seep sip. I'd rather have a real signal mirror and a real knife. The component I've seen first hand is the fire starter- I wasn't overwhelmed. I'd rather have a Sparklite or a BSA Hotspark and a striker.

Interesting concept, iffy implimentation. Seems to be a chronic problem- at his old website, he had places where he implied that a $3 no-name knock off was as reliable as an actual Swiss Army Knife. I haven't been to his new website- is that where this mention of a roman candle comes in? As in cutting one down and making your own trashy pen flare? Again, poor execution.

And he's too thin skinned. This isn't the only place he's banned. If you freak out and rant and rave becuase someone says "uhm... the compass has a 70 degree offset when it finally stops swinging", that isn't standing behind your product.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#197917 - 03/13/10 11:20 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
Friend or Foe ID Flag - Should you become lost or separated from your unit, when approuching friendly lines or a friendly patrol it's best to carry something that will quickly identify yourself as a &#8220;friend&#8221; and not a foe. And there's nothing more recognizable than to carry & wave a small 12 x 8 inch Amerian flag. Better to wave a small American flag then a &#8220;white flag&#8221; and risk being shot at and mistaken for a foe by your own troops. Ya know?

I am lost for words

Quote:

Actually that quote makes me believe that Ranger Rick has actually served in the US Army. wink

really?!?!

Quote:

But then again joining up is not really a good way to ensure you die in your sleep aged 102 in a comfy bed surrounded by your relatives. People shoot at you and try to blow you up when serving in the military and the enemy tries to do so also.

(sarcasm)
waving a flag during night is an "excellent" way of identifying your self to friendlies...

waving a flag during day, not knowing who is watching in order to identify yourself, is an excellent idea...especially so when the enemy tries to blow your head off...

good call...

(end sarcasm)

#197964 - 03/14/10 03:04 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Topaz]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
I recognize Mykel Hawke form an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, downloaded it from iTunes. It is an interesting episode were Mykel gives Andrew a crash survival course who subsequently goes out and ‘survives’ in the jungle outside Puerto Viarto to 48 hours. At $2.00 it is worth downloading.

Cheers,
W-W

#197968 - 03/14/10 04:08 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Dagny]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
Ranger Rick may take a lot of flak about survival related stuff. But you have to respect him for being an army ranger. Their training is INTENSE. I have personally gone to fort benning in Georgia and trained with them. Good Stuff, PM me if you want info.
Adventureboy

#197973 - 03/14/10 05:18 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Don't bother.
... and a Swiss Army knife (with saw)

Just out of curiosity, how would the saw be useful? If push came to shove, anything I could cut with that saw I could break with my hands, across a knee, or in the crook of a tree. Or I could chop or baton it with my knife.

I always have a Leatherman tool with me, and most models I carry come with a saw. A few of the SAK's I own also have a saw. I think the only thing I've used it for is cutting off a branch to use to roast hot dogs and marshmallows. Unfortunately, I don't carry either hot dogs or marshmallows in my survival kit. smile

#197997 - 03/14/10 04:16 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Mark_M]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Don't bother.
... and a Swiss Army knife (with saw)

Just out of curiosity, how would the saw be useful? If push came to shove, anything I could cut with that saw I could break with my hands, across a knee, or in the crook of a tree. Or I could chop or baton it with my knife.

I always have a Leatherman tool with me, and most models I carry come with a saw. A few of the SAK's I own also have a saw. I think the only thing I've used it for is cutting off a branch to use to roast hot dogs and marshmallows. Unfortunately, I don't carry either hot dogs or marshmallows in my survival kit. smile

I used to think the same thing. However, having watched a fair number of videos with people using the little saws for various things, I have come to appreciate the utility (but not enough to buy a MT that actually has a saw blade).

Bob

#197999 - 03/14/10 04:49 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Mark_M]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

The BCB wire saw that comes with the kit is the smaller and cheaper of the BCB saws. This particular model is ok as far as wire saws go and perform a little better then the regular run of the mill surivival saws found in mainstream retail stores

The BCB Command wire saw is a step from the saw that comes with the Ranger Rick kit. It is more beefier, is 28" long and has wrist attachments that aid in keeping your fingers from fatigue when using and pulling on the saw using the small O rings.

As with any wire saw, care must be taken not to bind and or kink the saw when cutting the wood and is easier said then done at times.

I personally prefer and carry a folding 6" serrated blade garden saw for any small wood cutting needs. It much more versitile and can be readily re-sharpened with a small fine file or whetstone.

Regardless of any downed wood cutting methods, generally if you can cut 1/3 to 1/2 way through the wood, a quick whack over a rock or suitable solid matter like a log will be enough to snap the wood on the cut line. This save wear on your saw, save wear on your arms and also save time when you have to cut enough wood for a fire of any reasonable duration.

John Lubbock

#198036 - 03/15/10 07:33 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Mark_M]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway

Please note the difference between "useful" and "essential" smile

A saw this size is somewhat useful up to say, 2". Make a notch, break it.

A saw is very good for precise cuts.

I consider the saws at leatherman multitools very useful. I have very limited experience with SAK saws. They look the same, perhaps a tad smaller, but they may not be the same quality as LM saws. If I don't have a reliable fixed blade knife I would much rather saw halfway through and break it than risking my folder batoning a notch. If all I had was a SAK - I would very much want that SAK to have a saw.

Another way of putting this: There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (03/15/10 07:34 AM)

#198043 - 03/15/10 11:22 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
As it happens, I would classify a saw as essential. The saw on a SAK (locking prefered) or a Leatherman makes shelter building, trigger traps etc much, much easier to make. Especially if you have injuries.

Wire saws have their uses, provided you understand their limitation. i.e. You kink it, it's going to break.

Given the choice between the SAK, a wire saw or a "Rambo" knife, I'll take the SAK.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 555 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.