Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197864 - 03/12/10 06:22 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: T_Co]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: T_Co
Originally Posted By: Dagny

survivaloutdoorskills.com/survival_forums.htm

What Do I Think of Survival Forums?

Wow, what a knob...

Somebody has a self esteem problem. I have problems with "types of people" that I identify but I don't feel compelled to write long essays about them and put them on the web (with pseudo-mathematical forumlas so they can calculate how pathetic they are).

Couldn't have painted with a broader brush. An article that can offend everyone!

I have several of Doug's PSKs. I'd rather send one out with my daughter any day.

But it looks like it won't be much of a contest, because the RR kit is not available for sale! Check his "mail order" form.

So I wouldn't worry yourself too much about it.

Plus he's just way too bitter. If he could reinvent himself and his site he might have something useful to contribute.

#197865 - 03/12/10 06:27 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: clarktx]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas

#197868 - 03/12/10 06:57 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: clarktx]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I don't believe this guy was actually Military at all. A lot of crap he says leads me to believe he is simply a mall ninja using it as a cover to sell his useless "survival" crap.

Anyone notice in his special forces survival kit he has added a small American flag.

Quote:
Friend or Foe ID Flag - Should you become lost or separated from your unit, when approuching friendly lines or a friendly patrol it's best to carry something that will quickly identify yourself as a “friend” and not a foe. And there's nothing more recognizable than to carry & wave a small 12 x 8 inch Amerian flag. Better to wave a small American flag then a “white flag” and risk being shot at and mistaken for a foe by your own troops. Ya know?

Obviously this retard has never served overseas. I could lose count of all the things wrong with the above statement. But I digress...

#197869 - 03/12/10 06:58 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: clarktx]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: clarktx

It's an elegant clarification of ETS's niche. It notably does not deride other forums' focus or those who frequent them.

There's actually been quite a bit of latitude granted on ETS this past year in regard to extending the conversation, especially in terms of urban preparedness.

RR may be a lovely fellow in person but some peops just do not take enough care in anticipating how their writings can be perceived.

#197870 - 03/12/10 07:15 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Mac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Friend or Foe ID Flag - Should you become lost or separated from your unit, when approuching friendly lines or a friendly patrol it's best to carry something that will quickly identify yourself as a &#8220;friend&#8221; and not a foe. And there's nothing more recognizable than to carry & wave a small 12 x 8 inch Amerian flag. Better to wave a small American flag then a &#8220;white flag&#8221; and risk being shot at and mistaken for a foe by your own troops. Ya know?

Actually that quote makes me believe that Ranger Rick has actually served in the US Army. wink

But then again joining up is not really a good way to ensure you die in your sleep aged 102 in a comfy bed surrounded by your relatives. People shoot at you and try to blow you up when serving in the military and the enemy tries to do so also.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/12/10 07:17 PM)

#197871 - 03/12/10 07:16 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Dagny]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just looked at his website and noticed some interesting things on the front page.

- A three folding signal mirror!? How do you aim a three fold mirror, using all three parts?

- His 'won't freeze up' alluminium whistle. It won't freeze, but it will freeze to your lips.

#197872 - 03/12/10 07:20 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Dagny]
Topaz Offline
K
Stranger

Loc: Newport News, Virginia
I really didn't mean this thread to become a flaming one, I just wanted to discuss the kits he has designed. Though making one's own survival kit by scratch is always said to be best, I still like to check out the commercial kits and buy a few. I do have the AMK PSP and love it, but the Necklace kit was given a "Good" rating in Doug Ritters review.

#197873 - 03/12/10 07:57 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Topaz]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Yes, it was/is. Some of the items like the whistle and the firelighter are pretty good. The wire saws not a bad bit of kit either. Within it's limits.

Issue I have with Rick is that he is over aggressive to the point of being arrogant, rude and insulting. He somewhat reminds me of an ex-college of mine. Ex-Royal Marine. Most of the time he's the nicest of fellows but he has a certain irritating trait. Namely an attitude that if you ain't earned a Green Beret, your nothing. I rather fear that Rick is the same. Earning a Ranger Flash or a beret is with out question a proud achievement, I have no arguments about that but it does not make you "superior" to other people.

I also feel that he also knows very little about the character of the forum members. The "Old Hands" like myself are not posting or reiterating things for the fun of it. Quite the opposite in fact. This forum, which is global in extent, represents the best possible opportunity to pass on lessons that I, for one, have learned the hard way.

Were, however, we talking about a chat-room then I would quite likely agree with him.

#197891 - 03/12/10 11:54 PM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Edited by Mac (03/13/10 07:16 AM)

#197897 - 03/13/10 12:51 AM Re: Ranger Rick SOS survival kit - thoughts? [Re: Mac]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
While I have served in the military and I think their survival schools are top notch for what they teach, they are first and foremost Escape and Evasion schools for folks behind enemy lines.
Very little time is spent on surviving for extended periods in the bush. The reason for this is obvious- you cannot perform mission essential tasks and worry about providing for your sustenance. That is why they airdrop rations to forward units.

In the case of the Spetznaz, where part of the training is a long distance forced march with very limited provisions, I would probably say that I could look to someone who underwent that training as a viable information source.

Graduating from Ranger school obviously puts you in a category of its own. I doubt because you ate a snake in training you are an expert. I've eaten snake a few times myself and don't even pretend to be an expert.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 129 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.