Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197195 - 03/04/10 03:56 PM Re: Dogs [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I would want a dog based on the following characteristics:

Smaller than average. I won't be relying on the dog as a primary defensive tool, so no attack dogs. Also, smaller dogs require less food to maintain.

Built for the outdoors. Breeds that are primarly outdoors dogs.

Herding dogs. They have more intuitive sense of how to act around other animals. They don't just go after and engage threats, but will alert on them, and they won't just chase down game but will try to control them. They understand teamwork pretty easily. They seem to be able to read human actions and intentions pretty well, including strangers. They make excellent guard dogs. They travel well. Most are good with familiar children.

So for this scenario, I think a GSD or a Border Collie or even an Aussie Shepherd would be ideal.

If security were more of a concern, I might go with an Akita. They are a little more guardlike, but still have decent field sense. They can be a bit too aggressive with other animals, though.

#197197 - 03/04/10 03:58 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Krista]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Krista,

I've owned (not a breeder) Dobes for close to 40 years and obviously, I love the breed. Dobes are not the breed for most people unless they have the time to train way beyond the basic puppy obedience class. They need to live in the house with their family and just don't have the coat to withstand the elements for any extended period of time.

Like most of the working breeds, Dobes are split between the working and show lines, however, there are a few good breeders breeding for the total Doberman. So I would say the split is less than the GSD's.

Being a working Breed, Dobes do best with a job to do. They excel in obedience, tracking, SAR, agility, biking, service work, therapy and the working sports. With any of the protection breeds and working breeds, it's very important to buy from a breeder who trials, tests and competes with their dogs and understands correct and balanced temperament as there is no way to judge correct temperament from the backyard or the living room couch. Always buy from a breeder who is out there doing something with their dogs.

Dobe puppies are not for the faint of heart as they are VERY ACTIVE and require lots of interactive exercise, socialization, constant supervision and training. On my puppies between 9 weeks and 6 months, I dedicate at least 8 hours per week just socializing them to as many different places, people, sounds and situations as possible. Proper socialization is vital with a high drive protection breed.

Best of luck with your dog search!

#197208 - 03/04/10 05:46 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Krista]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I really never thought about a particular breed from a survival point of view, but have almost always have had Labs or Lab mixes. Generally, good family dogs, can be protective, potential use for hunting (if trained) and are large enough to haul a pack if necessary.

Pete

#197214 - 03/04/10 06:35 PM Re: Dogs [Re: paramedicpete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My best hiking buddy is our Lab mix. We have emergency food stashed for her, too, although her tastes are, shall we say, rather undiscriminating. She is pretty good at sounding the alarm around the house, and she would give the bad guys something else to worry about.

#197227 - 03/04/10 08:27 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Krista]
LED Offline
Veteran

FWIW, dogs should primarily be used as early warning devices and visual intimidation for those with ill intent. If you rely on a dog for physical protection, you've already failed. Especially if you care for and have a bond with the animal, which is pretty much essential if they're gonna protect you. If the dog is injured in a physical confrontation with a human or animal attacker, and they will be, the dog will then become a liability. Dogs require a fair amount of maintenance even in good times, and in a grid down scenario maintainig the health of you and your animals will be priority #1. In the proper context, dogs serve a limited, helpful role. Having said that, medium sized mut is the way to go. Of course if you want a real working animal that requires no maintenance, adopt a pack of coyotes. cool You definitely won't have any rodent problems. Or cat problems for that matter.

Edited by LED (03/04/10 08:28 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#197236 - 03/04/10 10:19 PM Re: Dogs [Re: hikermor]
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

I'd take my Beagle. Simple really, you gotta be crazy to own one , and folks leave crazy people alone for the most part .

#197244 - 03/04/10 11:11 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Krista]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
*Please consider factors like: kid friendly, travels well, protective (this can be intimidation factor but actual protective nature is important), a breed that would be useful, and not just another mouth to feed- example*

I'm assuming "taste" isn't one of the criteria?
laugh
-Blast, JOKING!!!
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#197250 - 03/05/10 12:10 AM Re: Dogs [Re: Blast]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Blast

I'm assuming "taste" isn't one of the criteria?
laugh
-Blast, JOKING!!!

According to a relative who roomed in college with an Asian student, they eventually got to know each other well enough that my relative asked him "OK, what kind of dog tastes best?" - after much hemming and hawing, the roomate eventually answered "Big black dog, he taste best"
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#197251 - 03/05/10 12:16 AM Re: Dogs [Re: KG2V]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
On a trip to China some years ago, I was served dog at least twice. I soon learned that "don't ask, don't tell" was the most discreet course of action.

No telling what I actually ate.....

#197252 - 03/05/10 12:18 AM Re: Dogs [Re: Krista]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
I'm afraid I'd be out of luck relying on my dog for survival.

He could carry his own food for 4 or 5 days. And he's really good at hunting voles and field mice. I guess I could survive on that. (what was the movie about the wolf researcher in lived on mice just like the wolves he studied?) He's a pretty good watch dog but once he started after something he'd never come back. Plus I'd need another 3 or 4 of him to stay warm.

And if you think beagles are crazy try a Jack Russell Terrorist, err, Terrier.

Andy

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.