Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197612 - 03/09/10 11:14 PM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: BrianEagle]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
BrianEagle, tell your wife, YMMV. haha.

Update. They totaled DW van. She went to the shop to clean it out today and got quite teary eyed. One b/c at her luck at not being more injured and two b/c she did really like the van. Thankfully, I purchased GAP insurance on it so the loan should be completely covered.

DW is driving my Charger while I drive a 20 year old sedan we borrowed. Boy that sucks the pride out of a guy. Oh well. I haven't settled on a course of action yet, but will probably look for an inexpensive vehicle I can pay cash for and then put the van payment on top of the other car payment to pay it off faster. Its a year of spartan living but if we can avoid another bill right now, so much the better.

DW has been keeping a list of the issues she is having post accident, everything from forgetfulness to pains, to inability to do things she could do before pain free, like pick up our 1 YO. I have been photographing the color and growth of bruising on her body.

Due to the history and circumstance of the person who caused the accident, I have called in the assistance of my friend who is a personal injury attorney.

#197626 - 03/10/10 02:57 AM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: comms]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...while I drive a 20 year old sedan we borrowed. Boy that sucks the pride out of a guy."

Driving a brand-new Cadillac Espalade and having it carjacked from you might make you feel even worse.

Sue

#197649 - 03/10/10 12:49 PM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: Susan]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Is the "espalade" an Esperonto, Escalade? LOL... Or a telekenisic (sp?) escalade? That would be cool, "move over" Foooom!!! Gone! I need to grow up but I enjoy my childhood!

#197686 - 03/10/10 07:41 PM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: sybert777]
comms Offline
Veteran

Not really Sue. The price of the auto isn't the issue, its the quality of life issues in the wake of accident or in your analogy a car jacking.

When DW told DS (age 7) we weren't getting the van back, he asked if it was alright if he cried. Its the only car he's ever really known. He went to school in it, we took trips in it. He went to and from the hospital in it. It meant a lot to him.

I don't like to use the word 'hate' and teach DS to control his words, he blurted out, "I hate the man took away your van, mommy" and ran into the other room to cry.

Just sad.

#197691 - 03/10/10 08:42 PM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: comms
. . .I haven't settled on a course of action yet, but will probably look for an inexpensive vehicle I can pay cash for and then put the van payment on top of the other car payment to pay it off faster.. . .
Excellent option. There's nothing nicer than driving a car you don't worry about being stolen or dinged in a parking lot. Look for a late '90's Ranger P/U wink

#197753 - 03/11/10 03:06 PM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

AAAAAnnnnd, now the other persons insurance company is refusing to speak to our insurance company. Won't return calls, won't answer the phone. I expected this. It's part of the game, though a hard stance. Our adjuster has not really experienced this sort of stone walling before and is getting probably going to have to get her firms attorneys on the matter.

In a sort of flank maneuver, DW is preparing a statement to give his insurance contact that tried to get a statement from us the day after. As it will mirror the police report, its a safe speech and entangles the guys insurance in the web.

I may be wound to tight but the driver was not arrested for driving on a suspended license, though he vehicle was towed and his license confiscated. I plan on petitioning the prosecutor for jail time.

#197756 - 03/11/10 03:49 PM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: comms]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I may be wound to tight but the driver was not arrested for driving on a suspended license, though he vehicle was towed and his license confiscated. I plan on petitioning the prosecutor for jail time.

I can sympathize with that sentiment. Recently my wife was driving at night and she saw a deer coming from the left. She got on the brakes, but a large oncoming vehicle (some type of SUV) nailed the deer and sent it flying across the road right at her. It nicked the bottom edge of the bumper and then she rolled over it.

Minor damage to the plastic bumper fairing and a piece was rubbing the tire making her think something was seriously wrong with the van. Lots of blood and hair all over the bottom of the vehicle but no other damage. Smelled terrible.

What really steams me is the other vehicle didn't even stop to see if everyone was ok, just kept going...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#197758 - 03/11/10 04:10 PM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: thseng]
jmd4x4 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Rosenberg TX
I am glad your wife is doing well. You are lucky in that some one followed the bad guy for you and let the police now where he was. Here in the big city you would be lucky just to have some one stop to make sure you were ok after the accident. I don’t know why the perp was not arrested, but then again you are in another state. In TX we have a lot of leeway on whether or not we arrest some one. It all depends on the officer, some times that’s good some time its not. In TX he would have been arrested for driving w/ a suspended license. I hope every thing turns out ok.

later
jmd

#197760 - 03/11/10 05:21 PM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: jmd4x4]
comms Offline
Veteran

Thanks jmd4x4. I see you've been a member for a bit but not an active poster. Thanks for deeming this worthy or your time.

#197765 - 03/11/10 06:55 PM Re: Urban Scenario: The car accident [Re: comms]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That seems to be common anymore. The two kids that drove into our house, the girl driving didn't even have a license, no insurance, etc, only charge was failure to maintain control.
Our insurance company has been fighting the battle for years.
The father of the passenger had insurance but since the insurnace company told the father to say the kid didn't have permission to drive the vehilce they were not laible for the damages. IMHO that should make an automatic theft charge, family or not, its way too easy to get out of liability like that.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 330 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.