Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#197070 - 03/03/10 11:41 AM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: Mark_F]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
The home remedies just keep coming. Compugeek mentioned using honey as a cough suppresant, Izzy mentioned he uses it straight for a sore throat and cough and that it's natural bacteria may fight off other infections. It also has another use. If you suffer from seasonal allergies, take a tablespoon of local honey every day. Because the honey is made from the local flowers that may be causing your distress it should build your tolerance/immunity to the pollen of the flowers in question and help ease or eliminate the allergies. Please keep the suggestions coming.

I can personally attest to this one. When I was a teenager, I had hay fever so bad that I required a doctors care and medication every year. I heard about raw local honey from an herb book, and I tried it for one season. It has been many years, and I have never had hay fever again. I will never know if it was the raw honey, or if I just 'grew out of it'.

#197078 - 03/03/10 02:48 PM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
[quote=Mark_Frantom]
I can personally attest to this one. When I was a teenager, I had hay fever so bad that I required a doctors care and medication every year. I heard about raw local honey from an herb book, and I tried it for one season. It has been many years, and I have never had hay fever again. I will never know if it was the raw honey, or if I just 'grew out of it'.

I tried honey for seasonal allergies. Did not seem to have any real effect.

However, I have found relief from sinus issues of various type from chiropractic manipulation and sinus washing. Might be some kind of placebo but they work pretty well at relieving the symptoms and I have gotten to the point that I don't care why they work. I know other people have tried both for allergies with varying degrees of success. I have not used an antihistamine or decongestant in a decade or so now. In the past I seemed to almost live on them at certain times of the year.

Bob

#197129 - 03/04/10 03:05 AM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: ILBob]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Herbalism... one of my favorite topics. Here's a few things from my neck of the woods!

I agree with someone else who mentioned using tobacco as a poultice for bee stings.

Catnip, spearmint, or peppermint tea for cramps.

Ginger for upset stomach.

Lavender essential oil on the temples for mild headaches.

Tea tree oil- aside from medical uses, dilute in water to make a disinfectant cleaning spray (add orange or lemon oils to boost cleaning power and make it smell nice)

tobacco- steep and use in spray bottle to keep some pests away(not to be used around food, of course)

and my grandmother always drank a spoon of vinegar a day, she claimed it kept her healthy (i haven't the stomach for that, personally).

~Marion C. Garretty

#197363 - 03/06/10 01:14 AM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: Krista]
LED Offline
Veteran

FYI, just listened to an interview with ethnobotanist James Wong who wrote the book "Grow Your Own Drugs: Easy Recipes for Natural Remedies and Beauty Fixes." Very interesting, especially what he had to say about garlic. May have to pick this one up. Here's an athletes foot treatment mentioned in the book. Gives new meaning to the term stinky feet.

Quote:

A few tablespoons of this garlicky vinegar in hot water make a powerful antifungal foot bath, but don't use it on broken skin — it will hurt! The vinegar takes 1 month to infuse but will last at least 6 months to 1 year. It tastes good in salad dressings, too.

ATHLETE'S FOOT

Garlic Footbath

10 bulbs garlic, peeled and finely chopped

100 g fresh sage leaves

2 cups (500 ml) cider vinegar

1. Place the chopped garlic and sage leaves in a jar, then add the cider vinegar. Seal and leave to infuse for 1 month, shaking occasionally.

USE Add 5 tbsp to a bowl of hot water, and soak feet for 15 minutes. Use 2 or 3 times a week in conjunction with "Garlic Talcum Powder" (see page 52).

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124319466

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.