The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#196957 - 03/02/10 02:30 AM Re: 911 failure [Re: Eugene]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Interesting. A case very similar to this is in the book "Emergency Response and Emergency Management Law" by William C. Nicholson. The name of the case is "American National Bank & Trust Company vs. City of Chicago". Essentially, a woman was in an apartment that the paramedics had access to, but never tried to the door or to locate the patient, except to knock on the suspected apartment.

I agree that if 3 ambulances failed to do something, it is systemic. Will wait for more details, and the probably law suit.

#197008 - 03/02/10 06:08 PM Re: 911 failure [Re: Tyber]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Wow. Just wow.

We had a call once in ultra-icy conditions, a trauma victim off in a field. It was so hard to get to him - slipping, falling, undrivable conditions at the scene and 500 yards to the victim from the last place you could drive - and I could not keep up with the medics who got to him well before me. Sadly, he was already dead, but I know our medics can and do commandeer anything that could move to get to a call. Urban situations are quite different though - a lot of "frequent flyers" and junk calls. I don't defend the failure, I do know it's possible to just get jaded to every perceived "emergency" that's nothing more than a fart attack.

#197009 - 03/02/10 07:03 PM Re: 911 failure [Re: MartinFocazio]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
In defense of the Paramedics. Like Martin - How many calls are for pure BS? Granted, that wasn't the case here, but it could have been. However...

I don't see why the PMs couldn't have gotten off their dead a**es and on their dying feet and walked to the patient. If they were like local PMs I have seen - 5'0, 300lbs plus, then there is a systemic problem.

Sorry guys, I gotta side with the people who want to see these guys fry.

#197011 - 03/02/10 07:51 PM Re: 911 failure [Re: ILBob]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
"To be sure, Mitchell's ordeal unfolded as the storm dumped nearly two feet of snow on Pittsburgh; the 911 system was swamped with more than twice as many calls as usual and overall emergency response was hampered."

Why did the number of calls to 911 double? Were there really double the number of emergencies as there normally are? Does the crime rate skyrocket during a snowstorm? Or were most of these calls what Martin refers to as 'fart attacks'. The people who abuse and overload the system bear some responsibility. Not only do the non-emergency calls clog the system and slow response time, but they add to paramedics' reluctance to bust a gut to respond to what past experience has taught them is probably a non-emergency.

#197012 - 03/02/10 08:09 PM Re: 911 failure [Re: DesertFox]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Many 911 systems include tracking previous calls (number and nature) to a particular residence, as well as any pertinent information regarding alerted medical conditions i.e. LVAD-left ventricular assist device or safety related issues i.e. domestic disturbances. This information (depending upon local protocol) may be included in the station printout providing responders some information on possible concerns/issues for that address. The responder should use the information as a “heads up” nothing more, nothing less.

Deciding that this incident of abdominal pain is just like the previous 10 calls to the address is asking for trouble. Assuming the “frequent flyer” is just requesting an ambulance so they can get to the hospital for a fix or “free” medical care is going to get you in trouble, if not this call, the next. As noted, it is easy to become jaded and discount the potential real emergency of the frequent flyer, but you really need to rule out a true emergency before assuming it is the same old thing with a particular patient.

Pete

#197023 - 03/02/10 10:38 PM Re: 911 failure [Re: DesertFox]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: DesertFox
Why did the number of calls to 911 double?

Slips, falls on icy sidewalks, vehicle collisions or even people going out without a hat and stroking/arresting.

An inch of snow in an area that doesn't normally get it can cause havoc - even in areas like this it can double call outs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.