The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#196661 - 02/26/10 07:10 AM Re: Safe Signal Day & Night Signal Mirror [Re: Mac]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Let's realize that there are a lot of players with no other concern but to earn money from uninformed customers. It appears the easiest way to make money is to give some gadget a "tactical" sounding name or otherwise make the impression that this is what the military (and/or search and rescue, police etc) are using.

Originally Posted By: Mac
Yeah the red light thing... I was wondering about how effective that was. Can't really see how that would be any advantage unless you were military trying to keep your signal visable only to a specific target. I got that impression when I was skimming thru the article.

Which is EXACTLY why your BS meter should go off. Loud and clear. They will probably not tell you a flat out lie, but they will leave an impression that it is so. Military this, military that, tacticool both here and there.

Notice that the regular signaling mirror may actually be OK, for all I know. But with all this other BS I would be highly surprised: Why should a company that makes an absolutely worthless piece of junk tie it together with a high quality mirror? Possible, but highly unlikely.

Doug has some very good and affordable signal mirror recommendations. Stick with them.

#196668 - 02/26/10 01:51 PM Re: Safe Signal Day & Night Signal Mirror [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Like I said, I use a starflash. It may not be the best mirror, but it's good enough for my intended use. I never had to use it in an emergency yet, but I usually prefer not to get lost to ever need to use it.

I like to give things a fair shake however. I may not find a mirror with a red filter any good, but the next guy may think its the best thing going. To each his own. I just don't like trashing something totally till I have heard about it from people that actually used it. Someone here did, and his comments made perfect sense.

I understand what you mean by tacticool though. I hate that stuff....

#196670 - 02/26/10 02:07 PM Re: Safe Signal Day & Night Signal Mirror [Re: hikermor]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
When signaling at night, I have always used the light directly, no need to go bouncing the beam off of mirrors.

It sounds like the "red" side is really red retroreflective material and not really a mirror.

You're right, if you have a flashlight, I'd use it because you can see the light from most flashlights more than 3 miles away. If there is greater than a half moon out, the regular signal mirror can be effective signal if no other better devices are available.

It does seem poorly thought out.

Tom

#196676 - 02/26/10 04:15 PM Re: Safe Signal Day & Night Signal Mirror [Re: TomApple]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Red light thing - dumb. Looks like a muzzle flash. Use a flashlight with a filter, either IR or blue, to attract attention.

#196682 - 02/26/10 05:10 PM Re: Safe Signal Day & Night Signal Mirror [Re: JBMat]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Red light thing - dumb. Looks like a muzzle flash. Use a flashlight with a filter, either IR or blue, to attract attention.

A red muzzle flash ? You guys down south hunting with laser rifles or what? Unless in a tactical situ how is IR or blue going to help you any better than red will ?

#196714 - 02/27/10 01:55 PM Re: Safe Signal Day & Night Signal Mirror [Re: Mac]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I was addressing the tactical aspect, more or less. Yes, red will appear to be a muzzle flash or tracer, my bad, I left out tracer.

And the NVGs most helicopter pilots wear will pick up IR easily.

Blue is also used as for some reason it attracts attention, dunno why. I imagine this is why the cops went to blue flashers. It can be used in tactical or non-tactical situations.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.