The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#196370 - 02/22/10 07:22 PM Breacher Bar
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
I don't recall reading any discussion on this tool and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or similar tools.

The Breacher Bar at Countycomm.com (http://countycomm.com/eodrtool.htm) is the only tool like this that I have found and I find the concept quite intriguing. Not for EDC, hunting, pack camping or hiking but for emergency / natural disaster, maybe car camping, type situations.

If one were wearing this tool in a sheath, along with a fixed blade knife, it could be drawn and put into service as quickly as a knife. It could take away the temptation of using your knife in ways it surely should not be used. You could also hand it to a co-worker for tasks such as splitting firewood withour fear of damage to your precious knife.

I like the chisel tip for obvious chisel tasks, the V edge for spliting and flat opposite edges for hammering on. About the same weight as a large fixed blade knife so it would be like carrying two knives.

The Countycomm Breacher Bar has two holes located between the handle and tool regions that would significantly weaken it under prying loads. Other than that it looks like a well made tool.

It is possible that an off the shelf pry bar could be modified to do this task, maybe even better, but the curved end makes it more difficult to carry in a sheath.

There are some titanium pry bars (light weight) on the market but I have not seen any with a shape that would lend itself to the chisel & splitting type tasks.

Any experience and thoughts are most encouraged.

#196372 - 02/22/10 07:38 PM Re: Breacher Bar [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
That's reminiscent (or perhaps vice versa) of the CRKT MAK-1. I carry one in my car.

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=CL-2050&bhcd2=1266870715

The MAK-1 is a rescue knife designed to meet the needs of a firefighter, made of tough 3Cr13 stainless steel at 54-56 Rc. It is truly a multiple-use tool. The chisel pry-bar tip is designed for opening doors, windows, and prying open locks and hasps. The 4-7/8" Razor-Sharp knife edge is a useful cutting tool. The handle features a deep finger choil and textured black G10 scales to give an excellent grip in wet conditions and when wearing gloves. The end of the handle has a stepped groove, which can be used as a window glass twist breaker and battery wrench. At the butt is a carbide tip breaker for instant shattering of windowpanes. An orange reflector lanyard is designed to keep the MAK-1 easily in sight. Overall length is 10". Weighs 10.0 oz. It comes complete with a Cordura® sheath which will hold a shove knife and an Extrik-8-R tool.

Attachments
crkt.jpg

#196375 - 02/22/10 08:04 PM Re: Breacher Bar [Re: Craig_Thompson]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
You may want to check out this thread:

Breacher

Pete

#196377 - 02/22/10 08:12 PM Re: Breacher Bar [Re: Craig_Thompson]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
It looks too short to get any real leverage. I don't get the concept, although let me hasten to assure one and all that I frequently don't get things first time around. I have a sheath knife that I think would do better in most situations and is more versatile. If things are too rough for a knife, I'm not sure why this little tool would do better. I admit I'd never hammer my knife or use it as a pry bar, but that's because it would either break or not have sufficient leverage - and I'm seeing the same problem here.

If I need a pry bar, I want one a few feet long and sturdier than the little Breacher Bar.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

#196380 - 02/22/10 08:36 PM Re: Breacher Bar [Re: Craig_Thompson]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I have one. I took it to the local fixit shop and had them sharpen the long edge into a V, semi sharp. The shorter edge was chisel ground, also semi-sharp. I made a handle by wrapping a portion of it with pipe tape. Not a bad tool, but a bit heavy for its size. Try looking at the Boker Cop Tool as an alternative. I also have one of those ~12in. titanium nail-puller/pry bars. A very nice tool.

#196381 - 02/22/10 08:40 PM Re: Breacher Bar [Re: Craig_Thompson]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is not particularly expensive, so it might be worth a whirl. However, I am not sure that it will do anything that any of several pry bars obtainable at the local home store will not accomplish just as well. Any of these gadgets would be a nice companion to a knife.

I use short (8 to 12 inch) pry bars when excavating paleontological specimens, usually from compact gravel deposits, and I beat them up pretty hard. I have yet to damage one to any significant extent. Basically I resort to the pry bar when I might overstress some of my more delicate tools, like pointing trowels.

When not in use, I keep them stashed when they might be handy in the event of the next earthquake. I stash a pry bar and a 3 foot crowbar just under the bed. Others are in the vehicles, in the workshop, etc.

#196403 - 02/23/10 01:35 AM Re: Breacher Bar [Re: hikermor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I prefer something more like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Vaughan-B215-15-Inch-Original-SuperBar/dp/B00002N5VN/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

That is a 15" model but 12" and 8" models are available.

Amazon is asking less than $10 for the 15" model. If the 90 degree bend on the end gets in the way it would be simple enough remove it with a hacksaw or cut-off wheel. These units are generally pretty tough. I have pounded a couple into odd shapes using them, with a two pound sledge and earplugs, to take the top off 50 gallon steel drums. Noisy.

Takes a lot of force to even flex these units, I have had them take on a permanent bend with extended abuse, but I have never had one snap suddenly. The flat form is great for digging through gravel, broken concrete, and the sort of mixed debris common after a major disaster.

Point being that if you need a pry bar; buy a pry bar.

#196412 - 02/23/10 04:10 AM Re: Breacher Bar [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is very similar to the bars I use. Both ends come in handy in popping out rocks when tryiing to delicately (?) excavate gravels. I also have acouple of longer pry bars for the potential occasion of extensive debris removal.

Irecently had occasion to field test those longer pry bars when the powers that be (Wife and daughter) decreed that some concrete slabs needed to go away. It was great exercise.

I think a good selection of pry bars, wrecking bars, etc. will be very handy in clearing debris.

#196414 - 02/23/10 05:20 AM Re: Breacher Bar [Re: Craig_Thompson]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The EOD tool is a specialized device- it is designed to be a long, slim pry bar where a lot of force isn't required. To put it bluntly, it is so guys don't go digging and prying with their knives. It is sharp enough that they can be used rather than a knife, and dirt cheap so they are almost disposible if you stick on into something really fun and scary with a long and complex chemical name.

I've thought about one of these to keep in the truck, but what would I really use it for? Batoning, rather than risking a proper knife. But for not a lot more, I could pick up a Bushman from Cold Steel, which is a real knife and it has a sheath. Now, if CS was to make a Bushman EOD bar, they might have something....

In WWII, the 225Q Quartermaster Knife was selected because it was robust enough to be used to pry open crates then hammer them shut again without breaking. This is similar in concept, although quite a bit different in execution.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#196423 - 02/23/10 11:40 AM Re: Breacher Bar [Re: ironraven]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Ontario Cutlery makes a lot of military and survival knives and also makes an excellent multi-use tool called the SP8 that functions along these lines. It is more highly refined than a breacher bar and has a sheath, so it is more expensive.

See it here: http://www.ontarioknife.com/specplus_pg1.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.