Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195547 - 02/10/10 06:37 PM Kids make One Match Fires--in winter!
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
here's this years post of the fur trade program at the Maplewood Minnesota Nature Center.once again i took a role as the fire tender and fire building teacher at the Metis camp.
i don't have a Voyageur outfit like the folks who work at the center so i just put on a sash and my Scot bonnet with a Hudson's Bay Company pin.over the two weeks that the school kids,fourth and fifth grades,were out i spent from around eight AM to three or four in the afternoon outside.

the staff showing the kids how to use a bow drill.they also had all the fur trade items and wild foods that would have been used in the camps at that time.

my part was to spoon out the wild rice cooked over the fire and then teach them how to make a fire with one match.i told them that there was no pretend at this station and they would really make a fire,went over the safety rules and did my demo.each group got a small bag with birch bark and small sticks.as this is a nature center we don't want the woods and brush picked over for fuel.the teachers and parent helpers stood around and watched and gave some support but the kids did all of the fire building and struck the wood kitchen matches.the success rate was very high with most getting it going on the first try.if not another one in the group got a chance.many had never made a fire or lit a match and when their little fire blazed up there was lots of hand clapping and cheers!!

i told the staff at the Nature Center that they thought they were getting a volunteer but for me it was a vacation.the chance to get outside and cook my lunch over an open fire was one of the best parts.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (02/10/10 06:49 PM)

#195554 - 02/10/10 07:50 PM Re: Kids make One Match Fires--in winter! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Nicely done Canoedogs!

#195555 - 02/10/10 08:11 PM Re: Kids make One Match Fires--in winter! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Nice job, now I want to know whats in the pot? it sure looks good.

#195556 - 02/10/10 08:26 PM Re: Kids make One Match Fires--in winter! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Awesome Canoe. It looks like a fun filled learning experience.

#195563 - 02/10/10 10:12 PM Re: Kids make One Match Fires--in winter! [Re: Nicodemus]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
Well done, sounds like you had as much fun as the kids

#195573 - 02/10/10 10:43 PM Re: Kids make One Match Fires--in winter! [Re: PureSurvival]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
As kids, we were such pyromaniacs, we started one match fires year round. Our reasoning was the more matches it took to get one fire going, the fewer we would have later on to make additional fires with. Even as maniacs, it pays to be thrifty. You can better feed your obsession that way.

#195576 - 02/10/10 11:06 PM Re: Kids make One Match Fires--in winter! [Re: benjammin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I hate you. Oh, how I despise you. Grumble, grumble grumble.

Lucky man - getting to spend time outdoors, pass on your knowledge, and get a hot meal!

Me, I'm turning pasty white from working under flourescent lights, getting sick of Subway or galley food. Woe is me. (lol)

Props to you on your teaching skills! Looks like a blast.

#195587 - 02/11/10 01:21 AM Re: Kids make One Match Fires--in winter! [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
That was so great!

Can you imagine teaching the kids something like that, and one of them ends up really needing it, and being able to do it?

What's the green stuff in the pot?

Sue

#195590 - 02/11/10 01:44 AM Re: Kids make One Match Fires--in winter! [Re: Susan]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
That's why I like working with Scouts. Camping is a monthly activity, and kids love to learn - so long as you make it fun.

Is that a La-Z-Boy chair behind you in the first picture????

#195601 - 02/11/10 03:38 AM Re: Kids make One Match Fires--in winter! [Re: KenK]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

OK..the chair and the green glop in the bucket over the fire-
when i did this program last year i sat on the chopping block or a log next to the fire,that got a bit old after the first few days.so this time i brought a lawn chair,put an insulated pad on the seat and covered the rest with three Army blankets and a red trappers blanket,a badger pelt was the finishing touch.all that plus a log with a axe driven into it and a wood pack frame behind it gave the aluminum chair that "heap of blankets" look.
the "green stuff"..that's pea soup made from compressed blocks. not sold in the States i had a contact in Germany send me 25 or so tubes of the stuff.made by Knorr it's about the same as the WW One German Army "iron ration" only made with less lard.i plan to use this in the PFD survival kit i'm working on and this was a good test to see how it cooked up over a fire.i have made the soup at home or over a camp stove on canoe trips but i wanted to try it out and this was a good place to do that.i found that it takes a long time to dissolve that tablet of compressed soup so i may replace it with a powdered one in the kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 286 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.