Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#195833 - 02/13/10 06:43 PM Re: Taking local advice: a good idea? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Excellent point, Byrd_Huntr.

But backing up a bit, I think that an essential point to consider is "how do you gain the essential experience to judge the validity of local advice?"

You're not born with it. You won't get it in the dealership that sells you a 4x4. The only real answer is that you get it the hard way. Perhaps from someone who knows and has been there (ideally), or in small increments from say, weekend excursions in friendly conditions. Mostly, you learn a process. Some get it all at once, and the outcome is not generally happy.

Sue's point about crossing the freaking continental divide is valid. It's either gross stupidity or gross naivety. I'll bet real money that it's the latter. (I say this understanding the number of stunts I've pulled and survived, out of which I should be getting a bill from the squadrons of guardian angels assigned. So I'm not inclined to throw stones.)

My $0.02.

Sage advice...Some people are pretty good at imitating outdoors men/women in their banter, dress, and outfit. If an impersonator exited a capable-looking 4x4, approached a local, and said, "Is there a shortcut over the mountain?" A local may quickly size him up, assume he knew what he was doing, and then say 'yes', and point the way. My point is, that person could safely rely on local advice, but like dealing with a car salesman, it's because this person has enough background knowledge to tell good advice from bad, and enough common sense to react properly.

#195895 - 02/15/10 04:22 AM Re: Taking local advice: a good idea? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Local advice? Some of my best outcomes have come from locals who know exactly what they're talking about. And some of the biggest screw-ups I've had ... came from local "do-gooders" who meant well - but didn't know diddly squat about their own backyard.

You need to verify that you're talking to someone who's knowledgeable. If you can find the right person - local tips are worth their weight in gold.

other Pete

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Bingley, M_a_x), 226 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.