Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 11 of 18 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#195263 - 02/07/10 12:15 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: GauchoViejo]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: GauchoViejo
Hi Teslinhiker. Do you know where I can buy a couple of those cups?

I purchased my cup from a local and now closed down hardware store, however I see them occasionally in the camping sections of some stores. SwampDonkey posted that he purchased 10 of these cups, perhaps he can share what store they were purchased from.

John Lubbock

#195287 - 02/07/10 04:21 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: hikermor]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Tacoma Mountain Rescue sells a kit packed in a metal tin, 5x3.5x2.5, for $20. The kit contains matches, candle, etc. for that all important nice cup of tea.

I've seen those. But still the same problems as with a band-aid box: seam down the side and a rolled in bottom. Plus a little wider than I'd like. But thanks.

#195291 - 02/07/10 12:30 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: miner]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,
I have a Tacona Mountain Rescue Kit that I found on clearance sale at "The Source", what used to be Radio Shack in Canada.

Miner is correct the container is a little larger than pocket size and it does have seams/rolled bottom.

I was thinking about what it would take to form a container out of heavy aluminum sheeting? Like hammer it around a form? Any ideas?

Mike

#195298 - 02/07/10 03:01 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: SwampDonkey]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i see that Tacoma Mountain kit as a "one use" sort of thing.you would more that likely just use it for a one,two at the most overnights if you were caught out on the trail by darkness or bad weather.even if the seams were not perfect all you want to get out of it is a couple cups of tea and soup until you can move on.i would think that the kit would be scrapped after one use.

#195300 - 02/07/10 06:49 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Hmmmmmm... an Altoids tin size but open on the end...

I'm workin' on it, please stand by.

Any preference for Stainless vs. aluminum?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#195303 - 02/07/10 07:57 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: SwampDonkey]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you desire a seamless cup for continual use, as opposed to intermittent "survival" use, there are two options - 1)Stainless steel cups, preferably with folding handles, that fit snugly over the base of a Nalgene canteen - 2) titanium cups like the Snow Peak 700 - similar configuration and very tough and as light as aluminum. Titanium does not alter the taste of that nice cup of tea or whatever else you prepare in it. They are not cheap ($25+/-), but they will last forever.

#195304 - 02/07/10 08:23 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: hikermor]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I've had the Snow Peak Ti 700 cup which came as a starter set with the gigi stove, lid and spork included, for a few months now and love it. It's been put to good use this winter for a steaming cup of the new starbucks via coffee. The set has a permanent home in my SUV.

http://www.rei.com/product/787957

Edited by rebwa (02/07/10 08:24 PM)

#195307 - 02/07/10 09:10 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you desire a seamless cup for continual use, as opposed to intermittent "survival" use, there are two options - 1)Stainless steel cups, preferably with folding handles, that fit snugly over the base of a Nalgene canteen - 2) titanium cups like the Snow Peak 700 - similar configuration and very tough and as light as aluminum. Titanium does not alter the taste of that nice cup of tea or whatever else you prepare in it. They are not cheap ($25+/-), but they will last forever.

Titanium coffee cups are great if all you ever use is a gas stove. Previous experience has proven that titanium cups over a wood campfire do warp after very little repeated use due to much higher heat that wood fire coals can reach compared to some petroleum based fuels

In theroy you should always use a kettle, however the bigger cups can hold up to 20 oz and instead of carrying and using a kettle which is not always in the plan, the cup gets used as both a small cook pot and as a kettle.

I also have a titanium kettle that has suffered the same fate and is warped enough that it does not sit level and the lid is pain to fit.

If you go the T-cup route and plan to use it over an open fire, find the thickest single wall cup you can as there are some out there thicker then others. Also stay away from double wall cups that may also be used as a cook pot/kettle.

Due to the above, this is why I carry a stainless cup. I am not too concerned about the extra weight of the stainless cup. And if I was that worried about it in the long run, it would be better for me to lose a couple of lbs of body weight instead of saving a few ounces with a T-cup...

John Lubbock

#195315 - 02/08/10 01:12 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: thseng]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Tom,

Glad to hear you are on the problem. SS of Aluminum, I would use either.

I do not think an Altoids tin is the correct size for this "Ultimate PSK Tin" as it would be difficult to load with stuff because it would be so thin.

I searched my supply of tins/PSK's and think the largest PSK that I would pocket carry would be app. 1.5" deep x 4" wide x 6" tall. I have this size kit made in a steel tackle box that I have pocket carried in my snowmobile floater jacket for 3 years. The kit is an O.K. size but the lid opens on the wide top, it is also a pinned/hinged lid so the water you could boil in it would be limited. I do not know if it would be best to have the end or side open, one makes a better billy can, the other is easier to load with stuff. This tin is not large enough to contain shelter items, I store an AMK Bivy/Heatsheet/cordage in a soft pouch in the same pocket.

I played around with having 2 tins slip into each other, like the Coghlin's Type 2 1st Aid Kit in the curved yellow plastic box. I started out using 2 SPAM tins but the plastic coating was really nasty to remove.

Who was working with the Sigg canteen cups, that looked like a good idea, just needed a top?

Mike

#195330 - 02/08/10 04:10 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: SwampDonkey]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Mike..that was me.--i'm doing the Swiss Army canteen cut off as a container.i have the pot and cup part done and took a few photos but i'm still working on the contents of what will be the food side of my PFD ditch/survival vest.when i'm done i'll do a new post of the results.mine will be 5 1/2 inches when done so it fits in the PFD pocket but you could pull it apart to about 9 inches and not only have room inside for a full kit with a foil blanket and odds and ends but have the two parts still firmly together.the fellow over at Woods Monkey who came up with this had a real brain wave,the combo of cup and a pot that fit and seal means you have a way to make a meal and a drink at the same time and both are good size..but more when i'm done with this project.

Page 11 of 18 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.