Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#194984 - 02/02/10 06:52 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My BOB has at least one non-eco-friendly component that I think is important: lithium batteries. I don't want to rely upon rechargeables, both because they self-discharge far more quickly than quality lithium batteries, and because they're more sensitive to the temperature extremes that occur in the trunk of my car.

Eco-friendliness is not high up on my list of priorities for buying and maintaining emergency equipment.

#194993 - 02/02/10 08:52 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: chaosmagnet]
greytruck444
Unregistered

I think this is something the writer bought to feel like she's prepared, rather than actually investing time to learn how to use skills and equipment to save her @%% in an actual emergency.
Even 10-20 hours invested in reading proper material would educate her enough to know that's not everything she may need, and a lot of the provided equipment appears substandard to say the least. It's better than nothing, maybe. She should start off by purchasing at least a decent urban survival book. Lofty Wisemans' books are a good starting place. After digesting that, maybe she should go visit a real camping store, she mentions REI. Start with a pack and basics. When done, craig's list the kit she bought before she knew better. Most importantly, buy two or more of the most critical disposable items and practice. As she's in california, one last thing to mention. Tie a gas shutoff wrench to the pack with paracord and tape in place with electrical tape. There's a couple of combination tools out there that claim to do both gas and water valves. turn them both off on the way out..or as soon as you return.

Last tip: Acquire a 3-4' section of garden hose with a female end. also acquire a 4 way silcock wrench. Hot water heaters are normally full of water, and they have a shut off valve at the top...and a drain at the bottom, sometimes without a handle. why pack a lot of water when you can probably scavenge clean water after a quake. You can release the vacuum by opening up the T&P valve at the top.

#195001 - 02/02/10 10:14 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: hikermor]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> You do make an excellent point, but the those who can't get in shape comprise
> a very small percentage of our rather sedentary population.

Well, I'm not so sure. My baby boomer buds are getting older and more decrepit as the days go by, and we're an enlarging part of the population. shrug - but I'm just reminding all the young whippersnappers that some of us are geezers beyond hope. :->

#195002 - 02/02/10 10:52 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: philip]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: philip
> If she can't handle a thirty pound pack, preferably one whose straps won't
> rip, she should get in shape.

Keep in mind that _some_ of us can't get in shape. :->

Philip, "round" IS a shape laugh

#195008 - 02/02/10 11:29 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: philip]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
As my reply to her article said (if it actually posts- their server is taking its time), I don't think this is green OR honestly prepared.

Those flashlights retail for about $5, and don't throw as well as a $15 headlamp that runs on 2AAs. And they'll break easily. Yeah, real green- expensive, and full of junk that will end up in the landfill. Bravo.

The evil part of my brain wants to take her kids, and show them the torn backpack, and tell them that this is supposed to keep them safe because mommy loves them oh so much.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#195011 - 02/03/10 12:13 AM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: ironraven]
sodak Offline
Addict

I'm the wrong person to ask. I'm an old fashioned conservationalist who thinks "eco-friendly" and "green" are marketing bs, nothing more. Even more so in an urgent situation.

#195012 - 02/03/10 12:46 AM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: sodak]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
When I looked at the contents of the kit pictured in that link the first thought that came to my mind was, "Did they do their shopping at Toys-R-Us?"

And what is eco-friendly (or even useful) about a cheap plastic flashlight that probably won't last 5 minutes before it's ready for the trash? I guess that's why they put two of them in there.

While the coloring book and crayons (sure to melt) are a nice feel-good touch, I propose that you'd be better off with a big purple Barney doll. At least you could use the crowbar (?) to beat Barney senseless and use the stuffing for tinder, and the left over carcass as a belt bag. The kids would probably have more fun using the crowbar on Barney than coloring anyway.

#195016 - 02/03/10 01:38 AM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: haertig]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I've not given any thought to how eco-friendly my BOB is and that would be far down my list of priorities in assembling a BOB.

If I'm living out of a backpack at some point then my carbon footprint and other environmental impact will have been greatly reduced no matter what's in it or what it's made of.

DC imposed a grocery bag tax this year so now that I'm lugging my own bags to the store I'm feeling environmentally virtuous enough for the moment.

#195025 - 02/03/10 01:28 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: philip]
soli Offline
Stranger

Hi all, long time lurker, figure I'll use this thread to cut my teeth smile Not necessarily a treehugger but I think, like the large majority, I'll do my best be be conscientious to everyone and every thing.

Originally Posted By: greytruck444
I think this is something the writer bought to feel like she's prepared

Originally Posted By: haertig
And what is eco-friendly (or even useful) about a cheap plastic flashlight that probably won't last 5 minutes before it's ready for the trash?

This isn't the case. In the first paragraph she clearly states her family bought it for her due to their concerns, it was not a pack she made to be eco friendly. It's not until the recent events in Haiti did she even bother considering a BOB. The article is asking for how to improve a pre packaged BOB in the greenest possible way. I see it as a good thing that she is actually re-evaluating the contents of the off the shelf BOB.

Originally Posted By: philip
so I'm guessing kids are part of the picture.

I may be incorrect in this assumption but they may just be part of the pack. She does not state how many people will use the bag. The bag appears to have been an off the shelf purchase, configured for a group of 4 (incl child)

Originally Posted By: clarktx
I respect being green. But in an emergency I think there are far more important things to worry about than whether your BOB is environmentally conscious.

Not singling you out, but this sentiment appears to be a repeating theme in a number of the replies to this thread. I think people might be confusing configuring a BOB, in advance of an emergency situation, with "green" products and living a green lifestyle while bugging out. I see no reason why building a bob and choosing environmentally friendly solutions must be mutually exclusive.
I see it more in choosing the materials than living the lifestyle.

For example:
- Replace the plastic flashlight with a good quality metal flashlight.
- The survival blankets will probably be pretty cheap and at best get one use. Replace with something like a heatsheet which is much stronger and reusable.
- Poncho's as with the blankets are more than likely going to be pretty flimsy. Replace with something more reliable.
- A bag that isn't going to fall apart on first carry.

Of course, there is one down side to upgrading the BOB. It's not overly green, you still have to do something with the items that were swapped out smile

Now the one thing that most have over looked, that I'm surprised more have not made suggestion for, is her problem with the weight. Plenty of options for reducing weight and in a relatively green (good quality long lasting products) way.

#195026 - 02/03/10 02:12 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: soli]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Of course, there is one down side to upgrading the BOB. It's not overly green, you still have to do something with the items that were swapped out smile

Set them up around the home for use in a non-bugout situation. Or donate them.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.