Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#194816 - 02/01/10 04:56 PM Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire?
Jared Offline
Stranger

Loc: DC
I recently found this recommended list of backpacking equipment, which notes that a knife, firemaking supplies, and a flashlight are seldom carried. However, deodorant appears to be a necessity. I understand that you might not need a knife for the type of camping that this guy does, but I see a knife and fire as a survival necessities. Also, no whistle, mirror, food gathering equipment, etc. He packs light, but aren't there some things that he shouldn't do without?

Edited by Jared (02/01/10 04:59 PM)

#194820 - 02/01/10 05:32 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: Jared]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
This is what makes me a light hiker and not ultralight. I could be UL very easily if I didn't carry my preparedness gear. My wilderness EDC is an extra pound or two of base weight. Put into the context of what he doesn't carry and how he eats, there is no reason in his mind for a knife. YMMV

He is a RayWay guy. Nothing wrong with that but I am guessing from his site he is more into the long hikes on established trails and living in a self sufficent bubble that precludes having to cut anything. Though even Ray says he carries a small swiss amry classic or some scissors.

#194823 - 02/01/10 05:39 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: comms]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Little or no margin for the unexpected or unusual. But he does have experience, which can compensate to a degree. He seems to stick to the established backpacker interstates, e.g. the Appalachian Trail. In wilder country some adjustments might be a good idea. I notice no FAK, a very bad idea, in my opinion. If you don't need it, someone you encounter will.

#194824 - 02/01/10 05:42 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: Jared]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
his perspective does have some good points - for him.

imho, this boils down to your own personal comfort zone.

he's comfortable relying on others to provide what he doesn't deem necessary to carry. if you re-read the article with this in mind, you'll see what i mean.

he's also appears comfortable relying on others to find him if he becomes lost or injured.

for me, i carry those items he may deem unnecessary because i'd like to be comfortable while trying to self-rescue myself, or if unable to self-rescue, to be safe, warm, dry, hydrated and comfortable awaiting others.

#194828 - 02/01/10 06:01 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: Jared]
Pharaoh Offline

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands.
I wouldn't want to be hiking with this gentleman.
He's harping about deodorant, but sees no use for soap or a toothbrush. Yikes !!!! eek sick

#194830 - 02/01/10 06:14 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: bsmith]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Originally Posted By: bsmith
he's comfortable relying on others to provide what he doesn't deem necessary to carry. if you re-read the article with this in mind, you'll see what i mean.

he's also appears comfortable relying on others to find him if he becomes lost or injured.

It's foolhardy to be in the wilderness without a knife, even on an established trail.

He's the kind of outdoorsman we read about here periodically; the solo hiker who runs into misfortune and has to be rescued or, as too often is the case, dies on the trail.

Mother nature doesn't care about how much gear you carry.

#194835 - 02/01/10 07:15 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: billvann]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
UL hikers play the odds.
Most know the risks.

#194838 - 02/01/10 07:32 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: Todd W]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
There's a one-armed hiker somewhere, who might argue the usefulness of a knife.

#194841 - 02/01/10 08:01 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: Jared]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I can't agree with the "knife-seldom" bit. There are too many knives that weigh so little. And knives are so useful. I understand the UL philosophy but this is not a UL article. Its an article about "starting backpacking".

#194844 - 02/01/10 08:04 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: UncleGoo]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
More often than not, I am reminded of this:

Quote:
The word "experienced" often refers to someone who's gotten away with doing the wrong thing more frequently than you have.

- Quote from Laurence Gonzales: Deep Survival. (Highly recommended reading, by the way).

I try to learn a few tricks from the ultra light crowd, there's a lot of weight and volume to be shed from my packs. What I am missing from these particular UL is the extra layer of protection - as noted earlier in this thread, the equivalent of a PSK kit and some first aid items doesn't offset you by more than a pound or two, but is worth more than its weight in gold when something bad happens.

Those UL hikers have their shelter, hydration and food pretty well covered. But what about a repair kit (some duct tape, sewing needles, cordage, zip ties?)? Signaling? And of course, a knife... the ultimate wilderness multitool.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (02/01/10 08:07 PM)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.