Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#19466 - 09/27/03 01:57 AM CMG Infinity Ultra vs. ARC AAA L.E.
Anonymous
Unregistered

The CMG Infinity Ultra is as bright as the ARC AAA Limited edition but it is less than half the price.

Led Museum Review

The CMG Sonic is just as bright as the Infinity Ultra bu is smaller being a AAA light: Either way a better deal for equal lumens.

Led Review of Sonic

Turk

Edited by Turk (09/27/03 01:59 AM)

#19467 - 09/27/03 03:45 AM Re: CMG Infinity Ultra vs. ARC AAA L.E.
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Not being nit picking here, or disputing the link above...I just went back to the Ledmuseum website and looked up the AAA Arc and noted that the link in the post above is dated 09-16-02 for the Infinity.

There is a much later link for the AAA Arc dated 08-28-03 comparing the Arc and Infinity again.
This should take you there.
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm

Regards,
Comanche7

#19468 - 09/27/03 06:48 AM Re: CMG Infinity Ultra vs. ARC AAA L.E.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am also not nit picking, but we are talking Apples and Oranges. I am comparing the Infinity ULTRA vs the ARC Limited Edition (or L.E). Your reviews are comparing the old Infinity Task Light vs the standard ARC, which I will agree is a better light than the old Infinity. The Infinity ULTRA, I believe, is shown to match the ARC L.E. in brightness for around half the price if you shop around. (Best price I have found is Texas Tactical Supply) It does come down to confidence in the product and personal preference. So Whichever you prefer is the right choice for you.

Turk

#19469 - 09/27/03 02:23 PM Re: Photons, ARCs, and CMGs...
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Well, IMO you both make good points. All three are sturdy and relatively bright lights (for size).

Here's my 2 cents:

The ARC AAA LE has all-over precision knurling and HA-III anodizing and so far that is as tough as they claim. So far, not a scratch on it from EDC in a "hazardous" location (RF pocket; truck keys +, work auto keys +, Micra, Schrade 340T) (Yes, I did saw deeply into another namebrand flashlight with an LE - one stroke thru the other's anodizing and deep into the body - I couldn't resist trying it and it flabbergasted me.)

I don't carry a Sonic (two kids do), but I predict they will scuff up like a Solitaire over time - no big deal <shrug>

I like the CMGs a lot - but there is a look and feel to the ARC AAA LE that screams "quality" and "elegance in design" - you have to hold one and use it to sense this, I suppose. It's remarkable - understated techo art or something.

But the CMGs cost a heck of a lot less and both the I-ultra and the Sonic seem to be about as bright. Both the Infinity Ultra and the Sonic are some of the gifts I will be sending to family members this year. A special birthday for a sib is an ARC AAA LE, though...

And I *DID* pre-order some of Peter's AA version ARCs <grin>

The ARC AAAs and the CMG Sonics have replaced our EDC Photon II whites. Which reminds me - I need to get a few ARC AAA reds to replace some EDC Photon II reds... too bad the Sonic does not have a red LED variant. Lights based on AAs are a bit large for EDC pocket carry for my tastes - the Sonic and ARC AAA are just right.

There is just enough mass and volume to both ARC AAA and Sonic that I sense their presence or absence in my pocket throughout the day, which has been an off-and-on issue with the Photon IIs - they are so light that they have been "invisible" in my pockets and I've misplaced them/dropped out of a pocket unnoticed a few times as a result - who would have thought... OTOH, I prefer the Photon on a neck lanyard for exactly the same "invisibility" reason - YMMV. But I rarely use a neck lanyard.

So our Photon II whites are finally going where they are a great fit - the PSK/FAK type stashes. And I think the reds/oranges/yellows are going to become "permanently" attached to attic loops in our various packable tents (girth-hitched short lanyards). There is a slight chance that they will get turned on when packed, but we'll see.

Regards,

Tom

#19470 - 10/04/03 02:41 AM Re: CEG Infinity Task Light Sale - Update
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Well, after weighing all the posts here, I went ahead and ordered the Sonic from Texas Tactical. It fits my current price range and feature requirements. Thanks for everyone's input.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 625 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.