Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#193919 - 01/19/10 06:42 PM Gerber VS Leatherman
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
This is STRICKLY in regards to their Keychain size Multitools.. If you had to get a new one, which would you pick and why?

#193922 - 01/19/10 07:12 PM Re: Gerber VS Leatherman [Re: T_Co]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Squirt P4. Have one, love it. As for the choice in general:

1. Leatherman build quality is second to none. I give them out at almost every male birthday I attend, with no complaints so far. Most Gerbers sport fit and finish issues and have been known to collapse under pressure.

2. Gerber keychain tools are significantly larger, with little gain in durability or potency (see 1.) On that point, Gerber tends to produce anemic drivers and weird looking blades. Leatherman makes a point of utilizing every millimeter of available space to the fullest, producing natural feeling tools with solid, proportional blades.

3. Leathermans are assembled in the USA. Gerber outsourced to China, if I remember correctly.

4. Leatherman is a pioneer in the field, Gerber shamelessly rips off its designs year after year. I'm no fan of Gerber, is what I'm saying.

Here are reviews on two of the most relevant tools:

Gerber Splice

Leatherman Squirt P4

Finally, as with most such comparisons: whichever one you go with, it'll get the job done much, much better than a no-name knockoff ever could. Both companies are committed to making a quality product and both stand behind their products in terms of warranty.

Hope that helps!

www.kravmagafederation.com

#193923 - 01/19/10 07:34 PM Re: Gerber VS Leatherman [Re: Rodion]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Leatherman Squirt E4 is part of my EDC. It's been used enough to earn status as a keeper.

#193926 - 01/19/10 08:19 PM Re: Gerber VS Leatherman [Re: Russ]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
I have also EDC a Leatherman Squirt P4 for at least 3 years. It serves all my needs and has only slight scratches to show after all the years.

I have never owned anything Gerber...I just prefer Leatherman.

#193939 - 01/19/10 11:11 PM Re: Gerber VS Leatherman [Re: T_Co]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I EDC a Micra on my keys and a Squirt E4 in my bag of tricks. Tough little monsters, even if the wire cutters in the E4 do have a ding in them for trying to take on something as big as it is. *laughs* If I had to replace the Micra, I'd go with the S4.

The P4, not quite as much, but I don't like any of the micro pliers- no leverage. For bigger stuff, I have pliers, for little, hemostats.

My mother has the little Gerber with the scissors on her keys- I'm afraid of breaking the silly thing.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#193943 - 01/20/10 12:03 AM Re: Gerber VS Leatherman [Re: ironraven]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Leatherman all the way. Can't stand Gerber's keychain tools. Got two of Gerber's scisor based ones on close-out at Target. One for me and one for the wife. Total waste of money IMHO. Build quality was anything but. Scisors never cut all that great, tools were hard to access. They were quickly thrown into the drawer of shame after a few weeks.

#193945 - 01/20/10 12:29 AM Re: Gerber VS Leatherman [Re: T_Co]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Got both the S4 and P4. The S4 is everyday. Great pair of scissors/file to pitch in for grooming. The little blade doesn't account for much but has opened a few envelopes in its day! The P4 is handy in the golf bag (believe it or not before the grass driving range is ready to be used, we have faux grass driving mats and the pliers is used to pull the broken wood tees from the holder...)

I could care less what country it is manufactured in as long as the quality is there. And the Leatherman has it. Not objectionable to Gerber, it's just that I found what I wanted in the micro tools from Leatherman.

I have the S4 paired with a micro firesteel on a micro carabineer. (You think I like the word micro? I also have the Leatherman Micra! laugh But I much prefer the tool access of the S4 and P4. They are easier to hold and the scissors is just a bit better.)

Edited by Roarmeister (01/20/10 12:30 AM)

#193975 - 01/20/10 03:09 AM Re: Gerber VS Leatherman [Re: BillLiptak]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
+1 to Leatherman Squirt P4. Gerber felt flimsy.

#194004 - 01/20/10 04:25 PM Re: Gerber VS Leatherman [Re: T_Co]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I think Leatherman is better quality in all sizes that I have tried. I had a leatherman Micra and a Gerber Clutch?. Anyway, my son now has the Gerber.

Tip if you are about to purchase. When you are shopping also look for combo packs. I have seen combo packs with a leatherman Kick and Mica for about the same price as a Kick alone in stores. (Why get one, when you can get two?)

#194009 - 01/20/10 05:53 PM Re: Gerber VS Leatherman [Re: Ron]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I own a Clutch, SHortcut, and LM Squirt. The Gerber products are slightly larger, but are also more sturdy and will take more abuse, but I carry the Squirt because of the small size and the fact that I generally only use it to work on computers, and don't need a rugged tool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 625 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.