The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#193070 - 01/09/10 03:29 AM Modified my 10/22
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I bought a Ruger 10/22 for myself as a Christmas present, synthetic stock with the stainless steel barrel.

While trying to figure out the best way to mount some sling swivels on it I ended up taking off the buttplate. It's held in place with some sticky calking type of material on this style of stock. Since I was in there anyway I reinforced the area where I've attached the sling swivels and I decided to make the buttplate detachable.

I took some 1/4" thick plastic stock that I had laying around, cut and sanded a couple of pieces to fit inside the tail end of the stock, I then drilled a single hole thru the buttplate and thru the new plastic pieces. Attached a threaded insert thru the back of the new plastic.

I then epoxied the plastic parts into the stock while keeping the holes in alignment. Once the epoxy set up I was able to run a bolt thru the hole in the butt plate and thread it into the attached plastic plate.

So now I have a reinforced sling swivel mount, I use some other polystyrene scraps and more epoxy for that, a detachable buttplate and by cutting the reinforcement plate to the right size I can now slip some emergency gear into the hollow stock and they will be pretty much waterproofed. I'm thinking a spare firing pin and extractor and whatever springs are most likely to get lost or broken along with 10 or 20 rounds of ammunition will easily fit into the stock.

I still need to make or find something to put the ammunition and other stuff into and I need to get an oval headed, slotted screw to use to hold the plate on instead of the hex head bolt I used during manufacturing.

So that's what I did today instead of continuing the new years resolution to better organise my workshop.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#193073 - 01/09/10 03:52 AM Re: Modified my 10/22 [Re: JohnE]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
Pics, or it didn't happen!

Sounds like a good way to use the hollow stock. I've got a couple of 10/22s. The first one I bought in 1981 while in high school. No idea how many rounds through it, but has to be well over 50,000 (could go through a brick every time we went camping). Finally had the firing pin just flat wear out. Just worn down a little too short. The point is you probably don't need spare parts in it like that, but if you do you might as well put in a nail of the right diameter with the tip ground flat to remove the drift pins. I think a brush, maybe cleaning rod, bit of oil, - basics to keep it clean and running well would be better use of space.

#193075 - 01/09/10 05:00 AM Re: Modified my 10/22 [Re: lukus]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Good points about the cleaning kit. I could fit a bore snake in there, don't think a normal rod would fit.

Thanks for the idea, I got a little focused on parts but the more I think about it, the more I think you're right.

I've never tried posting photos here and I didn't take any along the way, if I can figure out how to do it I'll try and post the completed project.

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#193076 - 01/09/10 05:29 AM Re: Modified my 10/22 [Re: JohnE]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
That is great! I just bought the 10-22 with the stainless and the wood stock. Bought the DW the blued / wood stock so she would think the purchase was justified (her logic not mine). Anyway makes me almost wish that I had got the synthetic stock.

In fact I was planning on it until the sales clerk at Walmart quoted me the same price for the blued / wood stock as the Stainless / wood stock. I bought 2 and the blued one for my wife (that is what she wanted). They are cheap enough and they are as rugged as they come. So I thought why not?

My mother who is now 63 years into life, said she wanted one last year. Remembering this I figured one for Wife, one for me and one for mom - Happy birthday mom.

This will be my second one as well. I ended up trading the first one for a gun that was probably not worth it, so this time I am keeping it. Good purchase JohnE.

#193080 - 01/09/10 06:57 AM Re: Modified my 10/22 [Re: epirider]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I just got around to putting a scope on mine. I've had the rifle about 3 months. I bought the blued with wood stock.

The scope is a BSA TW4x30, it comes with rings and mounts easily to the Weaver rail that came with the 10/22. Last Saturday I tried the scope out after getting it mounted.

I started out with just regular scored targets, but got bored with those after a while. After several hits on spent shotgun cartridges from 25 yards or so, I tried hitting one of my spent .45 casings from the same distance and got it on the first shot. Not bad for a $189 gun with a $70 scope on it, shooting dirt cheap ammo.

#193093 - 01/09/10 03:53 PM Re: Modified my 10/22 [Re: JohnE]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Their basic 10/22 looks like a nice gun. Let us know what you think about its performance after you've been shooting a while. I've been thinking about getting one myself.

However, the target rifle version of their Mini-14 ranch rifle is a ripoff. Hard to believe they actually did this with the design. See the following Web page which exposes the scam ...

http://www.accuracysystemsinc-si.com/021606/Ruger-Mini-30-Rifle-8.htm

other Pete

#193103 - 01/09/10 06:16 PM Re: Modified my 10/22 [Re: Pete]
JohnE Offline
Addict

If you want something you can tinker with, like doing what I did to mine, there's no better .22 caliber rifle out there. If you want something that you can leave alone, Remington makes a nice competitor to the Ruger, I think it's the 567 model? If you're happy with a bolt action, I've read great stuff about the CZ line.

I've wanted a 10/22 since I can remember, why it took me so long to just go out and buy one I'm not sure. I posted about buying one here probably 6-8 months ago, didn't do it then for whatever reason, now I'm going to get another one for my girlfriend to shoot in one of the Appleseed events.

I've heard and read a lot of stuff about the Mini 14, thought several times about getting one but whenever I do it seems that I hear one more horror story about them.

It's sad cause on the surface it's a great idea, but in practice too many people have reported problems with them. I'll read up on the latest scandal, thanks Pete.

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#193109 - 01/09/10 07:56 PM Re: Modified my 10/22 [Re: JohnE]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
As this is a survival forum:

N.A.T.O button compass, Spark-lite, Tinder-quick x 4. Hook's & line.

Extra ammo would of course be useful - provided that recoil does not cause cook off.

You don't need a cleaning kit. Modern ammo is reasonably clean. A 1" square brilo pad in zip baggy will deal with any fouling.

#193114 - 01/09/10 08:16 PM Re: Modified my 10/22 [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
JohnE Offline
Addict

More good ideas, thanks Leigh. I don't think there's enough recoil in this rifle to cook off anything...;^)

One issue is the opening thru which I have to fit anything I want to store in the stock.

It's a rectangular shaped hole that measures 1"x1.5", anything I put in their has to fit thru that and I'm also trying to minimize the clattering around inside the stock as best I can.

It's all fun, I'm going to the hardware store in a bit to see if I can pick up some thinwalled ABS or PVC tubing that I can make into a storage tube.

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#193119 - 01/09/10 09:57 PM Re: Modified my 10/22 [Re: JohnE]
pworks36 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
Congratulations on your purchase. If you would like to see how it'll hold up, check out Project Appleseed. This is a non-political, non-profit group that teaches rifle marksmanship. They conduct two-day shoots around the country. I've been to 2 in Florida. The 10/22, with some minor changes, is the most common rifle on the line. The shoots I've been to are well run and I got some great trigger time. With a 525/550 round box of 22LR from Wally World for about $15.00 and basic range gear (there is a list of recommended gear on their web site), you can see how well you and your rifle can perform.

The shoots are also great ways to torture test your equipment. You'll shoot about 500 rounds in a weekend. If something is going to give, it will.

Anyway, if you would like more information, I suggest a trip to the site at www.appleseedinfo.org

Makes a great weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.