Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#192986 - 01/08/10 02:43 PM Synthetic Materials and Open Flame
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Morning everyone,

I know we all realize that synthetic materials are not a great idea around open flames, but I would like to re-emphasize this point incase someone missed it.

I don't wish to discuss the circumstances of my situation, but suffice it to say I need a new coat. I did not come into contact with the flames, but evidently got very close.

Winter generally brings me into synthetics via outerwear and Under Armor type long johns. I am now reconsidering this, even though they are so very effective. The thought of having all of that crap scrubbed from burns is on my mind recently.

Oh yes, Get bigger fire extinguishers. I used two 5 LBS. ABC Dry Chemicals on this MVA/Fire. It was not enough, and the FD was not able to get there in time due to weather/road conditions. It was a very long night.

Food for thought.....

RIP OBG

#192988 - 01/08/10 03:14 PM Re: Synthetic Materials and Open Flame [Re: Desperado]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I generally use synthetics as underwear, but tend to wear wool for outer-garments (except for rain wear). While heavier, the wool will keep you warm even when wet and is very fire resistant. I have seen a several instances of people wearing synthetics and burned, it is not pretty. The synthetics become like an impossible to remove napalm, continuing to burn for long periods. While doing a stint with the British Paras right after they returned from the Falklands, they had moved completely away for the new (back then) polypropylene and back to natural fibers. They had several soldiers hit with white phosphorus, which is bad enough alone, while wearing polypro and nylon. The injuries were at least three times worse because of their clothing.

I hope you are OK Desperado.

#193003 - 01/08/10 04:47 PM Re: Synthetic Materials and Open Flame [Re: gonewiththewind]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yeah, hope you're okay. Sounds like you had an unpleasant experience.

I love my synthetics, and wear them all winter. Nothing is more comfortable for me. No worries around a campfire except occasional "proof marks" from sparks. But the thought of a fuel fire scares the dickens out of me; I take extra precautions and/or switch to wool underwear in some situations.

I periodically look at the flame-retardant synthetics marketed for oilfield workers, but recoil in horror at the cost. Plus, I don't know if there are any health issues with the treatment chemicals; more research required. I did see a fleece hoodie the other day that felt like really comfy stuff.

#193010 - 01/08/10 05:50 PM Re: Synthetic Materials and Open Flame [Re: dougwalkabout]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Glad you learned rather than burned! I love the idea of warm, quick-drying synthetics but I stick to wools, silks, and cottons when by fires...which happens a lot. I wish I could find a high-quality silk Unionsuit long johns, that would be just about perfect for me.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#193086 - 01/09/10 09:59 AM Re: Synthetic Materials and Open Flame [Re: Blast]
fasteer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: away
I've met several guys personally that have truly horrific burns due to polyester or nylon or whatever synthetic clothing catching fire - although all of them involved accelerant of some sort.

I've been wearing Nomex at work (oil & gas)for about 25 years - never heard about any health issues associated with 'em...

There is lots of good fire-retardent clothing available & yeah it's bloody expensive. Glad I don't have to pay for $300 coveralls & jackets out of my own pocket.

Many people don't realize that wool & leather are naturally flame-retardent. Both have pros & cons in the outdoors...

Synthetics also have pros & cons... quick-drying, water-proof, burn really well.

Once again I'll mention Stanfield Superwash wool underwear. Terrific in every regard. Blast; they have a one-piece, too.
No affiliation other than proud that they are Canadian company.

#193089 - 01/09/10 01:32 PM Re: Synthetic Materials and Open Flame [Re: Desperado]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You know about wool so I won't go into the Filson (outerwear) and SmartWool (underwear/socks) investments I've made in recent years.

You might want to check out the nomex Inferno Jacket that Massif sells. That was my first piece of non-military issue nomex and it has held up well. I use it as a flight jacket.

Suffice to say I don't go near UnderArmor or other synthetic underwear. That stuff would just be too hard to shed in a fire. IMO the risks aren't worth it when wool and nomex clothing is available, specifically Massif's HotJohns long underwear. Good stuff, not hazardous to your health.

#193097 - 01/09/10 05:23 PM Re: Synthetic Materials and Open Flame [Re: fasteer]
Oware Offline

Loc: 49th parallel
Originally Posted By: fasteer

Once again I'll mention Stanfield Superwash wool underwear. Terrific in every regard. Blast; they have a one-piece, too.
No affiliation other than proud that they are Canadian company.

I bought 5 Stanfield tops through Sierra Trading Post
awhile back for $8 each. I wear them all the time and
they do wash up well. (These are the off white ones, not
the super heavy grey ones.)

#193098 - 01/09/10 05:44 PM Re: Synthetic Materials and Open Flame [Re: Oware]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Natural materials are nice, but lots and lots of folks have camped in cold weather and hung around campfires without serious injury.

The comfort and benefits of synthetics are just too good to stay away from them in winter.

Heck, thousands - tens of thousands - of Scouts winter camp without major problems, and they love hanging around the campfires.

Follow simple precautions and things will be OK.

#193106 - 01/09/10 06:55 PM Re: Synthetic Materials and Open Flame [Re: fasteer]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: fasteer

Once again I'll mention Stanfield Superwash wool underwear.

It's great stuff, better than merino IMO, but I haven't been able to find it for years. My last pair of longs is in tatters. Do you know a retail source for it?

#193110 - 01/09/10 08:04 PM Re: Synthetic Materials and Open Flame [Re: dougwalkabout]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I prefer not to have certain things "shrunk-wrapped" as it is still needed. smile

I always wear cotton underwear, but wear all kinds of synthetic/wool outlayers. My thought is that if I'm worried about freezing to death, I probably don't have fire, or if I do, I should be able to take my wet underwear off. Sweating has not yet been an issue. I would love to find some wool underwear that doesn't have the itching side-affect.

BTW, does anyone know if the SmartWool(R) brand (or any other wool brand) is actually 100% wool, or is there other artificial stuff in it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 555 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.