The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#192970 - 01/08/10 07:16 AM Re: Reliable Thumb Drives [Re: JohnN]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I've decided to stick to SD format (up to 4Gb size, but I'm primarily using 2GB micro SD cards in order to format them in FAT16) because it's backward compatible with SDHC, and because some older devices may not be able to deal with SDHC cards at all.

Also consider the impact of loosing the 16GB of data on SDHC card versus just 2Gb on SD smile

Or you mean the SD card form-factor versus micro SD?

#192972 - 01/08/10 08:29 AM Re: Reliable Thumb Drives [Re: Alex]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, I meant the larger form factor. Personally, I mostly use SDHC, but I understand your point that sticking to SD provides additional interoperability.

The nice thing is the readers that can do SDHC can do both.

As for losing data. It's easier to have two 16GB SDHC cards (redundancy) than eight 4GB SD cards. ;-)

-john

Edited by JohnN (01/08/10 08:31 AM)

#192977 - 01/08/10 12:09 PM Re: Reliable Thumb Drives [Re: Lono]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Lono
I agree redundancy is probably the shortest path to a reliable drive. I have two on my keychain, a Verbatim Store n Go, and a Verbatim Tuff n Tiny, like this - http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-TUFF-Driv...197&sr=1-1. I've been impressed with the Tuff n Tiny, not only is it very small, there are no caps or moving parts, its literally the most convenient thumb drive I use. I keep an OS image on it, also store docs and other things I need. I've only had it about a month so I can't rate it's durability, but others have reported that it stands up to a beating well.

Thanks for the link to the Tuff 'n Tiny. I hate carrying things on my keyring but even I could probably squeeze one (or two) of those into the mix.

#192981 - 01/08/10 01:30 PM Re: Reliable Thumb Drives [Re: 7point82]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
The Tuff 'n Tiny looks interesting. But I would be concerned about static discharge across the exposed contacts when carried in a pocket.

I have some ancient Lexar USB drives, a 4 year-old PNY Attache drive, and several unknown drives received from vendors that also work flawlessly. In fact, now that I think about it, the only problem I've had with USB drives is losing them, or the drive not fitting into a recessed USB jack.

My current favorite is the Kingston DataTraveler Locker with included encryption. I've plugged these into all kinds of computers with different versions of Windows, old USB 1.0 through the new USB 3 draft, and the drives and encryption software works flawlessly.

#192987 - 01/08/10 02:59 PM Re: Reliable Thumb Drives [Re: Mark_M]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
The Tuff 'n Tiny looks interesting. But I would be concerned about static discharge across the exposed contacts when carried in a pocket.

Agreed, its a concern for me too, and while online reviews don't establish much, the static discharge risk or other failure owing to exposed contacts hasn't been reported by anyone anywhere I know of - I've only had this for about a month, so more use is required. My other thumb drive is a retractable version, so if the Tuff n Tiny fails I have the same data on the retractable version, and I start again by duplicating it to another drive. (and since I'm far more likely to lose a ring of keys than anything else, it goes without saying that data on keyring thumb drives should always be redundant with some other location).

One nice thing, both thumb drives formatted with the new Win7 supported bitlocker usb drive encryption really easily, such that the proprietary data I carry on them remains encrypted unless I connect it to one of my PCs. I use that as I travel, preferring to keep business data encrypted on my thumb drive rather than on a laptop or phone. One less password to remember...

#193000 - 01/08/10 04:16 PM Re: Reliable Thumb Drives [Re: Lono]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I keep my contact info, and offer a reward, in a "readmefirst.txt" file at the root level of every card for my digital cameras. The first image on each card is a photo directing the viewer to that info. It occurs to me now, that I could ditch the thumbdrive, as I almost always have a camera and a cardreader with me.

#193004 - 01/08/10 04:54 PM Re: Reliable Thumb Drives [Re: UncleGoo]
Henry_Porter Offline

This is a timely topic for me because one of my new year goals is to get my documents (hard copies and electronic versions) in order.

Among other formats, I plan to use thumb drives for storing/carrying certain information.

Anyone have any experience with Iron Key?

https://www.ironkey.com/

#193009 - 01/08/10 05:48 PM Re: Reliable Thumb Drives [Re: Henry_Porter]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I'd suggest you use a software encryption. Hardware is too... um, permanent. And all things security will eventually need an upgrade:

http://it.slashdot.org/story/10/01/05/1734242/Encryption-Cracked-On-NIST-Certified-Flash-Drives

You could use something like Windows Bitlocker as noted by Lono, or something like Truecrypt.

-john

#193026 - 01/08/10 07:35 PM Re: Reliable Thumb Drives [Re: JohnN]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
IronKey is over priced IMHO.
ESP. considering once you get larger they charge way too much!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 536 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.