Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#192662 - 01/05/10 04:11 PM Dohhh
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Warrington (nearly Scousers ) and London based mountaineers tackle the highest mountain in Wales in the coldest and most difficult conditions in over 25 years in gym tracksuits and training shoes (plimsolls)....Dohhhh.. They ended up needing to be rescued...Homer would have been proud... crazy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8428656.stm

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/05/10 04:39 PM)

#192667 - 01/05/10 04:28 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: ]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
You have to remove yourself from the reproductive pool by your own stupidity (usually, but not always, by dying) to qualify for a Darwin Award. Worthy of an Honorable Mention, though.

#192681 - 01/05/10 05:46 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: Compugeek]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Well, if they didn't get a Darwin award it was not for lack of trying. Perhaps they should consider vasectomies so their particular brand of stupid won't spread.

#192685 - 01/05/10 06:00 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: ]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
TWO sets of walkers in track suits. Maybe it's a Darwin Awards double elimination tournament.

#192689 - 01/05/10 06:43 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: DesertFox]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Well, isn't that odd... the only equipment they DID have with them was a cell phone. Fancy that.

Sue

#192700 - 01/05/10 07:34 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
That whole ordeal is baffling.

#192702 - 01/05/10 07:53 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: Compugeek]
Pete Offline
Veteran

If they wore tracksuits during the coldest conditions in Wales in 25 years, then they may have already removed themselves from the gene pool. Frostbite can be nasty thing - especially when it affects your personal reproductive organs!

other Pete

#192708 - 01/05/10 08:33 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: Pete]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Is it really any wonder now that Great Britain has turned into the Nanny State?

#192711 - 01/05/10 09:12 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: harstad]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Let's play nice blush. We don't like negative comments about the US, so let's agree to keep the politics out of the thread.

My 2 cents-
Pete

#192715 - 01/05/10 09:27 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: paramedicpete]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Let's play nice blush. We don't like negative comments about the US, so let's agree to keep the politics out of the thread.

My 2 cents-
Pete

And seconded by the sheriff. We are all on this earth together, linked by unseeable bonds.

Go ahead and make fun of Venusians, though. They are a creepy bunch...big hands, smell like cabbages.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#192724 - 01/05/10 11:43 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: Blast]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Sub zero "Arctic conditions" and the idiots are out there in track suits? How'd they even make it to the car without thinking "hmm, better grab a jacket?"

What a bunch of utter fools. These jokers are the types that need to be fined for rescues. Total and complete disconnect between their brain and body.

#192726 - 01/06/10 12:07 AM Re: Dohhh [Re: MDinana]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

You can't blame them too much. I mean the hike is what ... maybe half an inch on the old Rand-McNally road map. The scale that tells you that an inch is 50 miles, and the fact that it is all up hill, was missed. Not knowing any better they figured it wasn't going to be much more involved than a trip to the local grocery a couple of blocks away.

Odds are they felt a bit nippy starting, possibly just getting to the car, but figured they would 'warm up once they got going'. Clearly more gumption than brains. But humans do stupid things as a matter of course, and such rescues are teachable moments and good training for the rescue services.

I've done my share, possibly more than my share, of stupid things and, for the most part, got lucky and avoided calamity. I see no point to celebrating stupidity. But I'm not one to begrudge anyone rescue or do too much condemning.

#192732 - 01/06/10 12:57 AM Re: Dohhh [Re: Art_in_FL]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
WoW, I once heard a saying "Nothing is foolproof a better idiot will always be invented." That seems to apply here. Hope I am not stealing someones signature :[ .
adventureboy

#192749 - 01/06/10 06:19 AM Re: Dohhh [Re: Adventureboy]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
AAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHH F*******G IDIOTS.

Now that's out of my system. Idiots like this dont seem to realise the danger they put others to by their gross and deliberate stupidity.

Lets have a look.

Sea King crew 4-5.
Sea King Ground Crew 10
MRT 10
Misc odds and sods 10 (police, ambulance etc)

So potentially 35 other souls at risk because these idiots fancied a walk in the "oh so pretty snow" Plus the fact the MRT and Helo was removed from the rescue roster whilst it was on the job. Next nearest rescue asset is over 250 miles away (I think)

Absolute selfish idiots.

Oh Pete and Blast we are turning into a nanny state, fact not politics.

#192754 - 01/06/10 08:00 AM Re: Dohhh [Re: MDinana]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Sub zero "Arctic conditions" and the idiots are out there in track suits? How'd they even make it to the car without thinking "hmm, better grab a jacket?"

Now that part is easy to answer: You dress thin for high intensity activity - like running. The outfit works like a charm for what it is designed to do: Venting away excess moisture and providing adequate wind block and insulation for a body working at high intensity in cold air. Of course, unless you bring along extra clothes this outfit will leave you with close to zero margin for error if you for some reason have to stop. Even just being forced to go slower will be troublesome because your heat production will not match the heat loss.

Why anyone would venture out in the mountain dressed like that is beyond me. A mountain hike in winter is NOT jogging in the park in winter. But we see the same here in Norway: Lots of people use skiing track suits when they go skiing in the mountains, and I see very little room for backup clothes and other emergency equipment in their puny little daypacks....

#192755 - 01/06/10 11:35 AM Re: Dohhh [Re: paramedicpete]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete

My 2 cents-
Pete

Ah hem,

FYI Britain is not part of America.

And those lads were Scousers.

It's a matter of (spirited) debate as to whether they are actually British, but there is complete agreement that they are most definitely not American.

I would offer to let you have them. But one is not feeling that cruel - yet.

grin

#192762 - 01/06/10 02:39 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
NobodySpecial Offline

>FYI Britain is not part of America.
Paramedicpete's point was that comments about a British Nanny state,from a presumably US poster, were rude - given how similair comments about the US are regarded.

>And those lads were Scousers.
In a similair incident 2 Geordies wearing T-Shirts were also rescued from Snowdon suffering from heat exhaustion ;-)

#192786 - 01/06/10 08:46 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: NobodySpecial]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Please translate "Scouser" and Geordie." I'm guessing Scot and Brit, respectively.

Didn't Winston Churchill say that the US and UK were two nations separated by a common language?

#192790 - 01/06/10 09:09 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: hikermor]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Scousers are from Liverpool, Geordies from Newcastle upon Tyne.

#192791 - 01/06/10 09:29 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: Johno]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Johno
Scousers are from Liverpool, Geordies from Newcastle upon Tyne.

And they both think that the rest of Britain is populated by a bunch of poncy wimps. smile

As it happens I worked with both & found them refreshingly blunt. If they don't like you it shows.

My sort of people smile smile

On a much more serious note, I think that they honestly did not appreciate that "Arctic conditions" meant exactly that. When the British press use that term, they usually mean about freezing, warming up by lunch time.

Oh and +1 re Arrrgh. If they knew, prosecute them to the limit's of the law for endangering life.

Just to give the rest pause.

#192795 - 01/06/10 11:35 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: MostlyHarmless]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Now that part is easy to answer: You dress thin for high intensity activity - like running. The outfit works like a charm for what it is designed to do: Venting away excess moisture and providing adequate wind block and insulation for a body working at high intensity in cold air. [/quote]

OK, I see your point. To me though, "track suit" is one of those ditzy Reebok or Adidas lounge suits you see folks wearing that can't figure how to coordinate their wardrobe. I can see maybe interpreting that as "athletic wear" which would make a bit more sense.

I did XC ski a few years ago on a 2-mile trail, wearing what I thought was reasonable: sweats with a gore-tex layer, Underarmor T-shirt under a wool sweater.

After my 2nd lap, I wrung out my sweater and called it a day. Realized real quick that some activities get the sweat pouring out. Perhaps this was their "ah ha!" moment. Still...

#192797 - 01/07/10 12:30 AM Re: Dohhh [Re: hikermor]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Please translate "Scouser" and Geordie."

Sorry "Scouser" is somebody from liverpool, the running joke is that the stereotypical scouser wears a shell suit (ie. a nylon tracksuit).
So scouser in shell suit on Snowdon is a dream headline.

Geordies are from Newcastle (North east England) the stereotype is that they wear T-shirts or miniskirts in sub-zero weather. A popular joke - how do you tell a Geordie astronaut? He's the one in the t-shirt.

#192798 - 01/07/10 12:44 AM Re: Dohhh [Re: NobodySpecial]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Geordies are from Newcastle (North east England) the stereotype is that they wear T-shirts or miniskirts in sub-zero weather.

You mean vertical black and White Striped T-shirts. laugh

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/07/10 12:45 AM)

#192799 - 01/07/10 01:02 AM Re: Dohhh [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank you all very much. This opens up a whole new world (probably another thread?) Might one infer there are labels for folks from other major cities?

#193144 - 01/10/10 08:30 AM Re: Dohhh [Re: hikermor]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Yes we have lots of labels:
Oldham 'ruffyheads'
Luton 'hatters'
London 'Cockneys'
Paisley 'Buddys'
East Anglian 'fennys'
Liverpool 'scousers' or 'Mickey Mousers', if lowlife 'scallys'
London 'Cockneys'
London even has it's own unique slang; rhyming slang. Like the 'Mickey Mouser' one for scousers. Where something is referred to by a rhyming phrase.
So 'dog and bone' for 'phone', 'whistle and flute' for 'suit'. Sometimes one word gets lost and sometimes it's the rhyming one. So 'Barnet' for 'hair' from originally 'Barnet Fair'.

that's off the cuff, without looking any up. Don't you have labels too?

>Thank you all very much. This opens up a whole new world (probably >another thread?) Might one infer there are labels for folks from >other major cities?

#193190 - 01/10/10 10:09 PM Re: Dohhh [Re: TheSock]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: TheSock
Yes we have lots of labels

The phrase: 'Two nations separated by a common language' comes to mind.

I've got a friend who has a deep Cockney heritage and when he gets a belly full of beer it, and the rhyming slang, bubble to the surface with such force that he is nearly incomprehensible. Even his fellow Brits can barely keep up and are often reduced to making wild guesses about what he is on about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 378 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Today at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.