Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#192500 - 01/03/10 01:52 AM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel [Re: CANOEDOGS]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
In Canada the gasoline additives are even worst in a stove, to the point that Coleman now recommends that Canadian gasoline not be used in there stoves at all.

We had a good discussion on this topic a couple of years ago located here.

Last summer we met a nice British couple in Jasper AB who had no idea that Canadian gasoline would gum up there MSR multifuel stove. They were planning on taking some remote hikes so a functional/trouble free stove was very important to them.

Mike

#192501 - 01/03/10 02:03 AM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove [Re: RayW]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hmm, I hadn't thought about alcohol content. In theory, at least,that could damage/degrade the seals in old stoves. Though I suspect (with minimal evidence) the current levels are not an immediate hazard.

Perhaps it would be better to get a multi-fuel stove that can handle car gas, and feed Coleman fuel to the Svea?

EDIT: thanks, Mike, this is new to me. I need to check up on my old MSR XGK, which has been my backup stove for a long time. I think Colemans would be especially vulnerable to gunk because of the generator tube they use.

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/03/10 02:10 AM)

#192506 - 01/03/10 02:23 AM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Doug,

I have never used an MSR Stove, only Coleman and Primus liquid fuel models so I do not know what Canadian unleaded gas would do to an MSR? The British tourists I met were unwilling to take the chance as they was no option for a replacement in the backcountry.

In an emergency I would use auto gas in my Coleman and just replace the generator if it became clogged, I think that would fix any problem?

Mike

#192509 - 01/03/10 02:31 AM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove [Re: SwampDonkey]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The MSR WhisperLite Internationale stove's manual says:

"The WhisperLite Internationale™ burns a variety of fuels by using two interchangeable Jets.

1. The IG Jet is used for White Gas and Unleaded Auto Gas. This Jet is preinstalled in your stove.
2. The K Jet is for Kerosene and Diesel. This Jet is included in the parts kit with your stove.
To exchange Jets, see “Cleaning the Jet and Fuel Line.”

Use MSR® SuperFuel™ (White Gas) for optimal performance. It is the highest quality fuel available for your stove. Do not use leaded fuels. Fuels other than MSR SuperFuel lead to rapid stove clogging and require more frequent Jet and Fuel Line cleanings. Also, the use of Unleaded Auto Gas may shorten stove lifespan."

My MSR Dragonfly stove's manual says the same thing, though it refers to the gas jet as the "DG jet" and the Kerosene jet as the "DK jet".

#192518 - 01/03/10 03:31 AM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

As you know, the Coleman website has a number of troubleshooting and cleaning suggestions (using denatured alcohol as solvent for lacquer buildup, for example).

But after a certain point, esp. with our local unleaded, I suspect that replacing the generator may be the only option. I have never cut one of those open; there must be a mesh matrix or similar inside there.

MSR stoves are highly field-maintainable. The generator tubes are simple, with a removable cable running through them. The MSR stove FAQ link ( http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/FAQ/Stoves ) suggests using that cable to "scrub" any crud or deposits out of the fuel tube and generator. So I think it unlikely that weird fuel would totally kill one. (My old XGK is long overdue for a new seal kit; last thing I need is a flaming mess due to a gas leak. Gotta get that done.)

#192530 - 01/03/10 12:59 PM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove fuel [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
From the MSR website FAQ:
Quote:
I can't find white gas anywhere; Is Coleman fuel the same thing?
Yes, Coleman fuel is a white gas. We also make a high quality white gas that will reduce clogging (MSR SuperFuel™). Crown and Camplite also make white gas. MSR SuperFuel white gas, Crown Camping Fuel, and Camplite Camping Fuel are available at your local outdoor stores.

#192533 - 01/03/10 02:31 PM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove [Re: dougwalkabout]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
My old XGK is long overdue for a new seal kit; last thing I need is a flaming mess due to a gas leak. Gotta get that done.

Don't forget to check the o-ring on your fuel bottle too.

I really like my Dragonfly. I need to play with it more so I'm more confident in my own field-breakdown/repair capability. Until then I carry the instructions in a plastic bag and a maintenance kit anytime I take it with me.

#192551 - 01/03/10 08:28 PM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove [Re: KenK]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I happily pay the (admittedly steep) premium for Superfuel myself. I've run Superfuel and Coleman fuel back to back and the MSR stuff is obviously better.

No affiliation; just a happy MSR customer.

#192559 - 01/03/10 10:39 PM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove [Re: 7point82]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

@KenK:
You're right, it's the O-ring between the pump and fuel bottle that's the most critical. Mine is showing many obvious cracks. If/when it fails, it would pour out pressurized liquid gas a few inches from an ignition source. Yikes. I worry less about the stuff downstream of the main valve, but at this age it needs maintenance.

BTW, when I used to fire up the old XGK in camp, I'd tell my DW that I was going to "fire up the space shuttle." Crazy hot stove, but wow it's loud.

@7point82:
Thanks, I wondered whether Superfuel was just hype. Do you think you get more meals/pots of tea out of a litre of Superfuel compared to ordinary white gas? Just curious.

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/03/10 10:42 PM)

#192571 - 01/04/10 02:18 AM Re: Is our unleaded gasoline OK to use as a stove [Re: dougwalkabout]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, the Dragonfly inherited its loudness from its big brother (the XGK). A lot of folks complain about it, but I kind of like the sound - not sure why - I just like it.

Edited by KenK (01/04/10 02:21 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.